Who got 1st place robbed from them

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colorguard did NOT have a score.

Back when I marched in '78 and '79, color guard did have a 2-point score; it just wasn't added into the overall score. I can even remember us joking in Oakland. We never said we scored a 1.7; we took out the decimal point and said we scored a 17. Just sounded more impressive than a diddly point and then some.

For example, looking at these 1978 prelims and finals recaps, you can clearly see the color guard score at the end of the line. Santa Clara and 27th Lancers both scored a perfect 2.0 in finals to tie for the top guard score.

I believe that did change in 1980, because starting that year, I don't see a guard score in the recaps. Given that, I'm not sure how they handed out a best guard award, unless they went with the top GE score. If DCI had stayed with the 2-point guard scoring system, would that have made any difference for 27th Lancers in '80? Not if it weren't added into the total score, the way DCI did it in previous years. Now, if the guard got a legitimate score as part of the visual caption, the way they do now (and, IMO, should have then)? Yes, I agree that that would've made a difference for Two-Seven that year.

:)

I believe that did change in 1980, because starting that year, I don't see a guard score in the recaps. Given that, I'm not sure how they handed out a best guard award, unless they went with the top GE score. If DCI had stayed with the 2-point guard scoring system, would that have made any difference for 27th Lancers in '80? Not if it weren't added into the total score, the way DCI did it in previous years. Now, if the guard got a legitimate score as part of the visual caption, the way they do now (and, IMO, should have then)? Yes, I agree that that would've made a difference for Two-Seven that year.

We did receive a 2 in 78 and 79, but we also did in 80....from what I remember seeing on the sheets we were the only 2, the next closest was very close - a few guards were 1.9. However when you look at the recaps that are published I don't believe it is shown. I believe the lowest was 1.7 or 1.6....maybe I can confirm with one of the Bs, they might remember how we knew we had a 2 in 80, even though it didn't count anywhere but for the announcement. A real shame! I know, the GE score..... However please take this memory with a grain of salt, 1980 was 25 years ago, and I could be mixing up years....

I will definately confirm!

That's how I got us to leave the field last at most shows in 80, the contra bass line and bass drummers thought they should, however when I spoke to Cliffy from the contra section and told him we were worth no points, that was the end of the argument.....thank you very much! Also won that one in 94 however the bass drummers came up right behind us, and I don't believe we relented! Good thing there was a Bonfiglio at the beginning of the line, and she would leave when she was ready...luckily she is older than her brother in the bass drum section!!!! :P Age before beauty, however she wins in both categories...sorry Georgie, you're beautiful, but in a different way... :)

Edited by LancerFi

:)

We did receive a 2 in 78 and 79, but we also did in 80....from what I remember seeing on the sheets we were the only 2, the next closest was very close - a few guards were 1.9.  However when you look at the recaps that are published I don't believe it is shown.  I believe the lowest was 1.7 or 1.6....maybe I can confirm with one of the Bs, they might remember how we knew we had a 2 in 80, even though it didn't count anywhere but for the announcement.  A real shame!  I know, the GE score.....  However please take this memory with a grain of salt, 1980 was 25 years ago, and I could be mixing up years....

I will definately confirm!

Thanks, Nancy! I was surprised that starting in '80, the guard score didn't show up on the recaps over on fromthepressbox.com, but I also couldn't remember if the guard score had been done away with altogether. My memory is becoming more and more of a sieve as the years go by! :blink:

Edit: I dug up my DCI yearbook to see what it said. Nothing in the recap for color guard scores; all it said in the summary is that Two-Seven won GE (we knew that from the recaps) and the best color guard award. The more I think about it, the more that tiny little score bugs me. It bugged me then, too. As if we didn't contribute to the overall show? I know, everyone said, "But you're in the GE score!" Well, duh! So are the brass and drum sections! We might as well have marched our show at right-shoulder, for all the credit the sheets gave us. And yes, I know, we don't just do this for a score. But drum corps was, and is, a competitive activity. If the scores don't matter, why bother with them? And, IMO, credit should have bene given where it was due. If the guard wasn't important enough for a score, why have them at all?

Rhetorical question, of course. I can't imagine corps without guard. And this is coming from someone whose corps marched without a guard all of first tour in 1980! (The guard members were plugged into horn spots till the drill could be downsized for second tour.) We also marched all that season without a drum major. It was an unusual experience in so many ways, but we got through it!

Edited by byline

I used to think that 1980 27th Lancers got robbed by the Blue Devils. That was my own personal bias toward 2-7 talking. BD had a great show and it should have won (and did), but Lancers' show was just outstanding. That guard (rifle and flag) SOLD that show to the audience. It was one amazing performance that impacted guards from that time forward. Reverberations are STILL being felt 25 years later.

I have literally watched the 27th Lancers show hundreds of times (no exaggeration!) and I STILL get excited by what they put on the field. I never tire of it. BD's show was so clean and the horn book was phenomenal. But 27th's guard put BD and all other guards away. The only other close guard in my book was Spirit.

So, while BD did win 1980, 27th Lancers was (kind of) robbed.

I have watched the 80 shows for BD and 27 many many times as well. I really think that 27 just did not have it that night. On the video you can hear Steve Rondinaro saying that there was something missing in the performance. I think they peaked at DCI east. A 6th place hornline did not help but BD was at least that far down in percussion so they could of won. I personally like the 79 show better.

1988 Blue Devils.....simple as that, however I can see how the Scouts (Im proud of them) Came and nabbed the title away.

1987 SCV......

1990 Star of Indiana

and 83 Geneseo Knights and Crossmen should have beaten out SkyRyders and Bridgemen to make finals.

~G~

Crossmen were horrible that year! That was the year they tried to morph into the Muchachos! They also removed about 1.5 minutes of their show the last week of the year. I actually think Alliance should of beat them. I do agree that Sky Ryders and Bridgmen were pretty bad. But Sky had an amazing horn line and Bayyone had a great drumline

Rhetorical question, of course. I can't imagine corps without guard. And this is coming from someone whose corps marched without a guard all of first tour in 1980! (The guard members were plugged into horn spots till the drill could be downsized for second tour.) We also marched all that season without a drum major. It was an unusual experience in so many ways, but we got through it!

No guard on first tour to plug drill holes? That's an incredible amount of holes to fill. To overcome all of that and still come within a hair of winning it all in what many believe to be the most competitive year in drum corps history is nothing short of remarkable. :blink::blink::worthy:

Edited by Russellrks