Did any of you get to keep your uniform?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Craig, I still have my Flamingo uniform and David's Argonaut uniform.  The only part I don't have is the shako, but I do have the plumb (sp).  I also have an array of flags and flag poles I purchased for the cadet guard.  How are you?

I'm fine! How did you know it was me? And who is this? Barbara???

I still have my police cadet hat that we wore in Flying Dutchmen. We were told that all of the corps members could keep them after our merger with Dutch Boys to form Northstars, but I never jheard the story behind it until a couple of weeks ago. It seems that waaaaayyyyy back when Dutchmen went from a senior corps to a Junior corps, there was money to buy uniforms but none to buy the hats. John Robins, bless his heart, bought all 128 hats out of own money so the uniforms would be complete. Fast forward to 1976.... the corps members knew about the merger, and several of the older members were pestering John about buying their hats, which were rather unique with the eagle on the front of it, as a memento of the years they marched. John, in true JR Robins style, turned around and said " Tell the ######### that they can keep the #### hats.... they would only steal them anyways!" b**bs

I still have the last uniform I wore as a member of the Royal Coachmen (NY). It was actually the uniform that the Seneca Princemen wore. My uniform would not fit me even if I lost 60 lbs.

I treasure it though as it is a great memory in my life that I will never forget.

I still have the last uniform I wore as a member of the Royal Coachmen (NY).  It was actually the uniform that the Seneca Princemen wore.  My uniform would not fit me even if I lost 60 lbs.

I treasure it though as it is a great memory in my life that I will never forget.

In my Garfield days, we always turned in our unis at the end of each day that we wore them. Never took a thing. Mine was actually from 1962; the guy who wore it was a volunteer with the corps in my era.

On sweaty hot days, our guardian angel Aunt Nellie would turn all the jackets inside out and hang them all on the fence around her yard!

Mike

From my ageout year in 1977, I kept my green/white citation chord. By that time, we were wearing khaki shirts in prelims, and the white jackets with red sash at night.

In 1994 for the alumni corps, we bought our uniforms so we kept them. Luckily, a kilt is like a horse blanket and is wrapped around your waist and pinned together and to your shirt.

As long as my girth remains less than 144 inches, it will fit me. b**bs

I still have the old uni--the shirt spanned my entire career from 1971-1977, pants from 1974-77 (vertical growth spirt in '74), and 2 white aussies: one from 1975-76, the other from 1977. After our last show in late August 1977, I walked into the equipment truck to turn in the uni for the last time. The equipment manager knew it was my age-out show and in a bitter-sweet tone said, . ."Dan, keep it. You earned it." Luckily, our dark green "janitor" uniforms were relatively cheap compared to other corps.

I also have the Explorer Scout envelop hat I wore from 1971-early 1973, red drum covers, red sash from 1976-77, and, of course, white gauntlets and leggings. The tenor sticks I used at 1975 finals are hermetically sealed, lol!

I'm still relatively slim, but there is no way I'll ever be able to climb back into that uni. It's a great memory piece to treasure during one of the happiest periods of my life . . . whooooooops!! Time to take it to the dry cleaners: its been awhile b**bs

Is this on or off the record? If this is on the record, I returned every part of my uniforms, including the gloves. Otherwise...hehehehe.

When I marched it was the 70's and that anorexic/coke head chic was in. I was 6' and weighed in at 160#. Now I am still 6' but I weigh a fighting weight of 230#. No probs looking in the mirror either. There is no way I would fit into it, I have shoulders and a chest now.

I used to have a chest but somehow it slipped down and is currently being held up by my belt. If I stood at attention, I'd have serious doubts about seeing my feet( and thank God for mirrors as I wouldn't see other parts and would have to take my wife's word that I still own a set!!!!)

As far as uniforms, I have a green kilt ,a red kilt, my starburst from my aussie hat, aproximately 40 white jackets, a pair of SCV gauntlets (Pete Romo??) and SCV Starburst ( I was heartbroken to find out they were plastic). 2 sets of Spats(pre-1979 & after), and I think I actually have some 27th bus parts in my garage( my Dad was one of the drivers and mechanic).

:blink: