What Made The 70's, 80's And The 90's SO GOOD

We all have our own opinions of the 70's, 80;s, and the 90's, but what made your era so memorable to you?

What made the period of drum corps that you marched in so good? Was it the people, the music, the changes in the activity or something else?

For me it was a lot of things, firstly it was the people that I marched with. I marched with a lot of people who had no experience in drum corps before they came to march, myself included. I at least had an idea of what I thought drum corps was about. I made friends with a lot of people and a lot of people I didn't talk to a whole lot but I still had respect for them.

Secondly, it was the activity in itself. Drum corps in the 70's was really HOT. Where I came from we had 15 different drum corps within a three hour drive of town and four in my home town of less then 100,000 people. Corps were popping up all over the place and it was great. You could go to any parade and find five to six drum & bugle corps in that parade alone. Most if the kids in your corps were from the immediate area, true home town corps.

Thirdly, it was the travel. Where else could you belong to something and travel over 10,000 miles, IN A BUS, and see so much beautiful countryside for so little money. From the georgous rolling hills in northern Ontario to the sun drenched

beaches of Florida from the east coast to the west coast of the USA and Canada.

We live in a world with so much going on that you could very easily get lost in your own little world of drum & bugle corps and not even think of the real outside world.

Each decade has it's own difficulties and this current one is no different.

The only thing that we can count on is, that the time that you spend in drum

corps is over before you realize it. Enjoy it while you can because if you don't....

(POOF) you'll wish you did!!! B)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have our own opinions of the 70's, 80;s, and the 90's, but what made your era so memorable to you?

What made the period of drum corps that you marched in so good? Was it the people, the music, the changes in the activity or something else? 

For me it was a lot of things, firstly it was the people that I marched with. I marched with a lot of people who had no experience in drum corps before they came to march, myself included. I at least had an idea of what I thought drum corps was about. I made friends with a lot of people and a lot of people I didn't talk to a whole lot but I still had respect for them.

Secondly, it was the activity in itself. Drum corps in the 70's was really HOT. Where I came from we had 15 different drum corps within a three hour drive of town and four in my home town of less then 100,000 people. Corps were popping up all over the place and it was great. You could go to any parade and find five to six drum & bugle corps in that parade alone.  Most if the kids in your corps were from the immediate area, true home town corps.

Thirdly, it was the travel. Where else could you belong to something and travel over 10,000 miles, IN A BUS, and see so much beautiful countryside for so little money. From the georgous rolling hills in northern Ontario to the sun drenched

beaches of Florida from the east coast to the west coast of the USA and Canada.

We live in a world with so much going on that you could very easily get lost in your own little world of drum & bugle corps and not even think of the real outside world.

Each decade has it's own difficulties and this current one is no different.

The only thing that we can count on is, that the time that you spend in drum

corps is over before you realize it. Enjoy it while you can because if you don't....

(POOF) you'll wish you did!!!    B)

Took the words right out of my mouth!!(alot of people wish they could do that!)

You said it perfectly!

In no way do mean to slam any other era or decade because they're ALL great, but there was something special about the time we marched-so many corps-so many shows-so many friends!

:)

Looking back I think the thing that was so great about 70's corps was the fact that many corps were "neighborhood corps." We all were from the same area, so we hung out together.

Home and home shows ruled. We will never see that type of drum corps again.

With regards to having a LOCAL drum corps, when is the last time a Division 1 corps had a FULL at a Santa Claus Parade????

Or better yet when was the last time a Division 1 corps DID a Santa Claus Parade?? (Not looking to pick an arguement, just to prove a point) B)

Looking back I think the thing that was so great about 70's corps was the fact that many corps were "neighborhood corps."  We all were from the same area, so we hung out together.

Home and home shows ruled.  We will never see that type of drum corps again.

Agree 100%, in Central PA there was a Senior show almost every other weekend that was within a 2 hour drive. The shows didn't always have the top 10 Seniors but were always entertaining.

What I miss the most was the ablility for more people to participate.

Even today, my old corps gets together for "reunions" and it's good to see everyone and see what they're all up too. Nowadays everyone in , say SCV, live in different states so getting together is a bit more difficult.

In NY, every weekend had a show. We might go to Rochester, then to Oswego then to Batavia, then to Fulton, then have our own show. Maybe go to Cleveland, then to Kitchener then to Dunkirk, etc. Yes we would see the same corps and sometimes a corps from another state would be at a show. Oh, and then we'd all go to Butler, PA then Marion, OH and to Lynn, MA for the big shows. End the year at the DCI Championships. It was all good back then.

Oh I know I'll forget some :sshh:

During the 70s, Senior shows were held at (All within 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive from Harrisburg, PA).

Hershey (only one still operating)

Lewisburg (started back few years ago)

Danville (pre season exhibition)

Mount Carmel (moved to Danville in '76)

Mechanicsburg

Lewistown

Hanover

York

Carlisle (Westshores' home show)

Baltimore, MD (Yankee Rebels home show)

Reading (Buccs home show)

Norristown (Philly area)

I think for me, it was the consistancy that benefitted me the most. My parents moved around alot in the city, and it meant going to new schools, having to meet new people.... fit into a new enviroment, and it was tough for a teenager trying to "fit" into a clique system where other kids were in their particular group for years. For me , at least off the field, my saving grace was that no matter which school I was attending, there were always some of my drum corps buddies there at the same school..... wiether it was Dutchmen, Dutch Boys, Ventures, whatever.

I also found it cool to be in the stands cheering on the hometown "competition", especially in the US shows.... you always knew or went to school with at least one member of those opposing corps, or in my case, my kid sister, who marched in Ventures when I marched in Dutchmen. ^0^