Were You In One Of Those Corps.....

Boston, whatever year you pick. Then again we didn't really care so to speak

True. Even this year, this corps got NO attention or respect and yet they had one of the more solid shows of the top 12.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to join in here for a bit of whining about not winning: We got our share of kudos, but I don't believe the judges (remember judges?) really understood what we were doing most of the time. during the late sixties early seventies, we were a very small (34 - 38) horn line - even though you wouldn't know it if you closed your eyes. Out of uniform, I would always hear people say things like: Those Brassmen think they're something, but c'mon they're just from Brooklyn! There's something to learn however from always being the also-ran. I'm proud of those lessons and you can ask any one who marched with our organization and they individually and to a man and woman will say virtually the same thing.

"

""NOW--how the heck did Greece Cadets manage to gain over 12 points in score over 3 days???

Brady Rouse and Bruce McCready taught us how to do 4 count turns (changed my life).

:blink: And would they have managed to get the DCI Class "A" title had the Marquis made the trip to Philly?"""

Marquis would have beaten us in Philly ... they could have squeaked into finals, they were certainly as good as the Watkins Glen

Squires.

So....you weren't "recruited"???? hahaha.....Nobody came to a VK rehearsal to ###### you up? haha. :)

Anyway.....I wouldn't have called the VK S@## tho? heh. I actually being a Maynard fan LIKED "Left Bank Express",heh. But I did see them as a smaller corps tho. I had come from a very large winning youth band so yes I was dissapointed that I was in a Kingsmen that didn't make finals. But more than that it was the large/big sound I was after. This was my main reason for joining the AK before I even knew what DCI was, or the AK's history,not to mention whatever the rivalry was with VK,etc. When the little italian guy sued us after 78 tour I decided not to go north like many of my colleages. Kudos and more power to them, but I figured if I couldn't help my local outfit build back up what's the use,eh? And of course by then I had no incling to join VK so I just got a job and a teacher and went at it in the practice room till I thought I was competent enough to play for $$. :)

I was recruited every night at dinner by my sister, who was already playing cymbals in the Kingsmen. After the 78 collapse I did re-join the VK as it was the only option in So Cal. That was my worst year ever in drum corps. I remember sitting on the bus after Pre-lims in Boulder and thinking to myself that it can't end like this. I had to at least try and make the best of my last year so like many of my colleagues I did go north and finsh out my drum corps career with that other California group that wore blue. You would not believe how many of my other colleagues from back then have said that they regret to this day not going north. I have no regrets at all. I finished out on top and walked away with the memories and the knowledge that I competed at the highest levels of this activity. My DCI finishes were 0, 0, 0, 25th, 19th, 33rd & 1st. Plus one exhibition performance that seemed like it was just a couple of weeks ago....oh wait, it was just a couple of weeks ago..LOL. I have no doubt that those first six years taught me the lessons needed for my 7th and final year.

Edited by SoundmanG

I came from a drum corps that got nothing but respect, because we earned it. We stood by class and inner strength. In the past two weeks I was with a corps that was the opposite of these things....sorry, it is just the way it was. :blink:

Just to join in here for a bit of whining about not winning: We got our share of kudos, but I don't believe the judges (remember judges?) really understood what we were doing most of the time. during the late sixties early seventies, we were a very small (34 - 38) horn line - even though you wouldn't know it if you closed your eyes. Out of uniform, I would always hear people say things like: Those Brassmen think they're something, but c'mon they're just from Brooklyn! There's something to learn however from always being the also-ran. I'm proud of those lessons and you can ask any one who marched with our organization and they individually and to a man and woman will say virtually the same thing.

Remember, every time you fall on your face at least you're falling forward. Just get up dust yourself off and try again. Carmen Cluna

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your Carmen Cluna quote. He was my first marching instructor(when I marched in St. Iggies), I was 12 years old and he scared the stuffing out of me....but I did learn to march :)

It's a great quote, I can just about hear his voice when I read it.

Peace,

CuriousMe

Edited by CuriousMe

I came from a drum corps that got nothing but respect, because we earned it. We stood by class and inner strength. In the past two weeks I was with a corps that was the opposite of these things....sorry, it is just the way it was. :blink:

It was tough in '80 SCV as we placed lower than any other SCV corps up to that point. Alums, GR...everyone was NOT happy. Looking back though, it was a landmark show that holds up well to this day. A show that came out of the back right corner with a great GR chart-Procession of the Nobles. Then...one of the greatest drum solos of all time: Stone Ground Seven. We kicked it in with "Evita" and closed it out with the production that the judges had know idea how to judge: Jupiter. Assymetry, little planets floating around, the giant sun moving across the field, a drumline straying way off the 50, etc.

The idea that Pete Emmons came up with–to dissolve the 50 yard line–made SCV a champ in '81 and for sure, spawned much of the success for the Cadets a year or two later. I'd argue that '80 SCV was the first modern drum corps show. Unfortunately, we paid the price. <**>

Looking back, I'm glad I marched '80 SCV. We were a great corps.

Edited by scv guy

Puppet, let me tell you something, I had heard a lot about the Boston Crusaders from my instructors in the early 70's.

When I first saw you guys in prelims in Boulder, Colorado in '77, then counted your hornline I was an instant fan. :doh::lol::doh:

You guys blew a lot of conpetitors away with the volume you guys cranked out with your 40 or so horns. :lol:

GREAT JOB !! b**bs b**bs b**bs

I love hearing stories from the pre and early DCI days of the old community corps. How they would take folks from the community and teach them music. To me, that's one of the greatest things about the "old school" era of drum corps. It wasn't so much about winning and losing, it was just something that taught kids a new skill.