Were You In One Of Those Corps.....

I think that a lot of us, at one time or another, were in corps that couldn't win a show or even a parade if our lives depended on it.

You know, it didn't matter how much you practised, nothing ever got any better.

The staff changed things that the judges didn't like and no matter how much the crowd my have liked it, the judges just wouldn't give you the marks.

You're out in the hot, blazing sun and you practise your butts off and just when you think you have a show that you thnk the judges will like, NOPE try again!!!!

Share some of your expereinces with us and let's all sit back and think, hey we weren't alone, they had the same problems we had!!! B)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic!

One year in particular comes to mind for me: 1979.

From my signature,it's obvious that I marched with the Glassmen, but the Corps of the 70's was NOT the corps of today!

We were more on aregional level,competing mostly on weekends here in our area in the midwest. up until 1975, a trip to the U.S Open, and maybe American International in Butler Pa. were the big trips for the year.

We did quite well in our area,we won our curcuit championship 3 years in a row and we were one of thhe first DCI Class "A" Finalists in 1975.

Financial difficulties and other problems led to the corps demise after the 75 season.

Alot of us went on and marched with other corps(anaheim and Oakland Crusaders had quite a Toledo presense)

In 79, The corps was reformed, and all us veterans were contacted about coming back.

We feilded a corps of about 50-60 members that first year back out, and let me be the first tosay:WE WERE BAD.

We had about 10 people who had ANY experience at all. The average age was probably about 13(Those hardy few of us in our late teens kept it THAT high!)

And we never had a complete show until our last competition in August.

Our High score for the year was a 45 that last night.

On more than one occasion our hornline was "Written of the sheets"

But ya know what? I think as bad as we were,I had more fun that year than any other other year I marched.

Even though I took a lot of flack from people I knew in the "Big Corps", I never hung my head, or was embarrased.

The responsibility fell on us "Older Guys" to help instill pride on teach the younger members.

Slowly the Corps got better, and by my age-out year in year in 81, the corps was doing well again at the Class "A" level,and soon began their rise to where they are today.

I was askedseveral times why I went back and didn't march in a top 12 corps those last years,and the answer was simple:Tradition and Loyalty!

Even though we suffered through a few horrible years, it was great to be a part of building what the corps is today. :)

Interesting topic.

Well, the corps that I was with in the 70's was like that. We struggled for 5 years (71-75), building and building. After the 71 season the fire dept. dropped us. The waited til we got back from a parade and watched everyone put instruments and uniforms in the storage room and then informed us that the corps was being disbanded. Due to a very pushy and caring director, we were able to buy back the equipment and still kept the corps going.

In 1976, with "new" uniforms (thanks Seneca Princemen) we began the last part of our journey.

I remember a show in Rochester or Greece, NY (and we had won a few shows for the first time ever that year) anyways, we played a great show and thought we'd be at the top 3. Well, we ended up in the bottom 3. I guess because we hadn't competed in NY to much maybe because many people didn't like our director. Ted Key our brass arranger got in the middle of the corps, was crying and said if any corps ever got screwed, it was us. We were all devasted! It was the next weekend when Greece Cadet instructors wanted to work with us the rest of the year. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the police kept shutting our rehearsals down. We were in the paper every day, everyone was supporting us including the mayor. In the end we won...if only because we won the "A" class title for the NT Open. It may not have been the biggest prize ever but to us it was the best win ever. Our director resigned right before we left for Philly (DCI) and we took 18th place at prelims, it was terrible. Not the way to end the last drum corps show for the corps.

Came in last every show from week before DCA '74 to week before DCA '75 when we actually eat TWO corps. Beating one was nice after 52 weeks but two was a shocker. But we actually had respect from other corps and DCA because we had been inactive the year before and were one of the first corps to regroup after disbanding. But going out against the like of Cabs, Buccs, Yankee Rebels almost every week you knew who was going to be the first name announced at retreat. :(

From my signature, it's obvious that I marched with the Glassmen, but the Corps of the 70's was NOT the corps of today!

We were more on a regional level, competing mostly on weekends here in our area in the midwest up until 1975, a trip to the U.S Open, and maybe American International in Butler Pa. were the big trips for the year.

Yep, Bob--in '75 my corps owned yours at Key To The Sea:

1. Marquis 70.75

2. Gauchos 63.00

3. Imperials 61.15

4. Greece Cadets 59.80

5. Royal Knights 58.90

6. Glassmen 55.90

But you guys kicked our ###e$ at American International:

1. Marquis 74.95

2. Greece Cadets 72.50

3. Gauchos 69.15

4. Glassmen 67.40

5. Black Knights 65.85

6. Royal Knights 63.75

7. Floridians 60.95

8. Kingsmen 53.70

9. Flying Dutchmen 51.50

NOW--how the heck did Greece Cadets manage to gain over 12 points in score over 3 days??? :music: And would they have managed to get the DCI Class "A" title had the Marquis made the trip to Philly?

Yep, Bob--in '75 my corps owned yours at Key To The Sea:

1.  Marquis  70.75

2.  Gauchos  63.00

3.  Imperials  61.15

4.  Greece Cadets  59.80

5.  Royal Knights  58.90

6.  Glassmen  55.90

But you guys kicked our ###e$ at American International:

1.  Marquis  74.95

2.  Greece Cadets  72.50

3.  Gauchos  69.15

4.  Glassmen  67.40

5.  Black Knights  65.85

6.  Royal Knights  63.75

7.  Floridians 60.95

8.  Kingsmen  53.70

9.  Flying Dutchmen  51.50

NOW--how the heck did Greece Cadets manage to gain over 12 points in score over 3 days??? :music:  And would they have managed to get the DCI Class "A" title had the Marquis made the trip to Philly?

No doubt that you guys always had our number, but OUR arrangement of Hill Where The Lord Hides was still better!!(Jim Ott did it for us)

Seriuosly, I always wondered why you guys didn't go philly, you most likely would have won it!

talk about lack of respect, when we went on in the 1982 Key to the Sea prelims someone in the audience yelled bring back garfield during our show. That was no respect for the corps on the field.

talk about lack of respect,  when we went on in the 1982 Key to the Sea prelims someone in the audience yelled bring back garfield during our show.  That was no respect for the corps on the field.

No class Low class all the way!!

Don't know who was responsible, but I apologize on behalf of Toledo!

(And I wasn't even there that year!!)

talk about lack of respect,  when we went on in the 1982 Key to the Sea prelims someone in the audience yelled bring back garfield during our show.  That was no respect for the corps on the field.

I remember that!!! I was teaching Renegades from NY and remember hearing that. That was pretty rude.

I was in the 78 Kingsmen trying to get back into finals. Unfortunately with the complete drill changes between tours we were only able to muster a 75.00 and 19th. Which was a drop compared to the 77 corps. We never won a show the whole season, except taking 1st in category in a few parades. Well, at least we stayed ahead of our cross town rivals,heh. Their protest signs in their busses and "boos" at local shows kind of urked me a little. One thing WE never did was "boo" another corps.

Phil

(fall)77-78 Kingsmen