Star of Indiana Rehearsals

BD "slacking"?! Yougoddabekiddingme. I think it's true that rehearsal _styles_ might be a bit different, but as to the amount of rehearsal and the goals therein, top level corps are pretty similar.

However, I did hear that Cadets for example, are on the intense side, and might shave off a little sleep time to get more rehearsal in. Don't know if it is true though. It would be cool to hear from someone who marched in both an East- and a West-Coast corps.

Any FMM's lurking around who can say?

Too bad we couldn;t ask Charlie Ryan.....Baritone...Garfield 83, BD 84!!!

He looked better in blue anyway...

You could also ask Rob Sirat...83 Xmen...BD 84 (center snare)

You have to remmember that for many groups show days are a treat, and not the norm. The Cadets (and most east coast corps) do a lot less shows than midwest groups. However, I won't claim to be an expert, because I didn't march there.

At Regiment, which has many shows, we really did get in a LOT of rehearsal time, although it was realistically between 9-12 hours. The longest days were the three weeks of everydays at move-ins, and the last week or so before finals. Lets not confuse length with content though.

Back to the general topic - I was enjoying hearing how corps operated when you guys marched. We could make it more general so that it includes how YOUR corps rehearsed, and not just Star.

At Suncoast Sound, we followed the east-coast "rehearse until you drop" method...and I think there were times when that really hurt the corps.

When I was with the Blue Devils, we rehearsed for shorter periods of time, but with far more intensity. Devils could accomplish more in three hours than most corps could in five or six.

Since then, I've always favored the phrase "quality over quantity", and I rehearse my groups that very way. Another way I've seen it put is the army band way:

"Train to standard, not to time."

Edited by Kamarag

"rehearse until you drop" method ...

Is that a patented YEA method?

B)

What do corps do when they do not rehearse?

I think if you would have told us in 1993 that we were getting a "free day" because we had been working "too" hard, many would have been looking for the FOUR horsemen and all that accompanies a rath of God.

We had some time off. It was rare. We saw the movie "Jurassic Park." Soon after difficult rehearsals were named "Get you ### kicked park". All in good fun.

I think the CD's and DVD's give a fair account of the results.

Russell

Never up before 12????  Not ever...9am latest, and that was rare.

You don't acheive what BD has by slacking off until noon...

We worked just as hard as anyone else....it was the staff's discipline approach that was different and uniquely Devils

I am interested to hear more of BD practice regime. When I marched I heard that at ever rehearsal the staff set objectives and once those objectives had been reached rehearsal was over, whether it took 2 hours or 8. Is this true?

Wow, I had no idea that other corps, besides the Cadets, rehearsed for such long periods. In the Scouts, the most rehearsal we ever did in one day, during the summer, was 8 hours. On days off, our rehearsals were 12:30 to 9:00, with an hour lunch. Dang, 15 hours? That's insane.

I don't know of any corps who rehearses for 15 hours a day. On tour. If it were a rehearsal day with no travel to and from another site, then MAYBE. But I would think such occurances would be the very rare exception and most certainly NOT the norm.

I know that. It would, in fact, be impossible to rehearse 15 hours on a show day. I am referring to non-show days. For us - 8 hours was the max.