DCI at the Movies

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2000 Cadets snare line was by far the cleanest of the corps in the 80's 90's and 2000 89 Santa Clara was by far the worst snare line, they played alot of notes but they were REALLY dirty :blink:

I agree that there were at least 4 or 5 other Cadet shows that I would have personally chosen over this one.

I would hazard a guess that 82-85 and others canceled each other out vote-wise, leaving 2000 as the Cadet show to be shown.

This is my theory as well. With the Cadets' rich history, you have to figure the votes were fragmented over numerous shows over the decades. I too favor many other Cadets shows over 2000.

So we saw the vote totals for the performances that made the show. What about the overall raw totals? I would wager we'd see other Cadets shows (as well as others from the big boys) outranking other corps that made the cut.

Cadets 2000 seems like one of the most human shows ever, a real fan type show. Happiness just oozes off the guard and puts me in a great mood everytime I see it.....The music is uplifting, the battery was tops, and the guard completed the picture.

Someone earlier mentioned the girl, who does the Sammy Sosa type deal in the closer: That's what drum corps is all about to me.

Cadets 2000 seems like one of the most human shows ever, a real fan type show. Happiness just oozes off the guard and puts me in a great mood everytime I see it.....The music is uplifting, the battery was tops, and the guard completed the picture.

Someone earlier mentioned the girl, who does the Sammy Sosa type deal in the closer: That's what drum corps is all about to me.

I'll tell you exactly why I voted for Cadets 2000 and why it is my favorite drum corps show of all time.

First of all, and I’ll say this up front: this show is the whole reason why I’m a drum corps fan in the first place, the whole reason why I attended the Classic Countdown last night, the whole reason why I post on these forums. Sure, I had heard of drum corps before. My band director had mentioned it, encouraging us to go a show that was in town, casually mentioning it to compare it to marching band, and whatnot. My friends and I knew what it was, except I had had absolutely zero exposure to it.

The first actual viewing of drum corps I experienced was when I was perusing a site that had some finals videos for downlaod and noticed that some drum corps called the Cadets of Bergen County had performed To Tame the Perilous Skies in 1992. I fan of the piece, I downloaded it, but unfortunately, my speakers were not working at the time and I could only watch the visual program. I immediately noticed the perfection of the visual product—much more refined than anything I had seen in marching band—and the complexity of the drill that was performed.

My first real exposure occurred a few months later. I had walked into the band room and heard on the stereo system what I thought to be a marching band show. I heard an eighth-note line with brass instruments playing a oving melody above it, which proceeded to a melody in the trumpets and a four-count pause. During this pause, I heard this huge from the audience, and a moment later, my ears were flooded with the loudest, most breathtaking chord I had ever heard. It continued, with an ascending melody accompanied with these majestic, changing chords. When I thought this had stopped, after a crescendo that seemed to be ending the section, I heard still more: yet another chord, and a powerful statement from the low brass that ultimately concluded with a 16-count crescendo, followed by the roar of a crowd.

I was listening, to, of course, to the Cadets’ 2000 field show, “We Are the Future.” Amazed, I waited to hear more: terse hits from the trumpets followed by ascending eighth-note lines, and then a whimsical melody, consisting of groups of three eighth-notes, played by the trumpets and echoed by the mellophones. Then came a sixteenth-note passage leading up to a pounding eigth-note measure, followed by an intense, flowing section adorned with various fast passages and ultimately concluded in another crescendo and proceeded on to the rest of the production.

Unfortunately, that was all that I would hear that day. I was completely mesmerized that entire day by what I had heard, those melodies, those chords, a completely mystifying piece of music. I learned it was a drum corps show by the Cadets, and with a little research, I found a link to an audio file of the show and proceeded to put it on my MP3 players. Over the next few days, I listened to the show constantly, drawn in by the emulation of the ticking of clocks and that wonderful melody in the first part of the opener. Gradually, I became familiarized with the rest of the music: even more forceful, mysterious melodies from the brass, the great transition melody in the mellophones, the fluid five-four section and ultimately the final chords of “Chaos.”

Next was the ballad, started by a low melody in the horns and proceeding to a baritone solo and a slow, peaceful melody by the rest of the corps. The beautiful mellophone solo at the end leads to a faster, section of triplet figures with constantly increasing motion and volume, progressing finally to a long, wondorous chord. What came next affirmed to me that this was one of the best musical productions ever created: a catchy, climbing 6/8 rhythm that seemed to just represent joy and energy. This section was then interrupted by a slower soft melody from which, out of nowhere, came a wall of power from the brass complete with a fanfare line in the trumpets, and just when I thought the section had finished, a section triplet figures led finally to one of the most sublime harmonies ever played on the football field. After a brief percussion interlude following this section, the brass was at it again with a moving line of notes grouped in six that kept climing and climbing to reach an awesome chorale backed by moving lines in the mellophones, truly beautiful music.

Next of course, came an exhibit of excellence of the percussive arts, started by a snare solo. The other percussionists, reacting almost as if they feel they “can do better,” responded: the snare line entered with a passage, interluded by a melody in the brass, and this trade off of the different percussion instruments continued until it reached, although I could not see it at the time, a tenor feature requiring perfect precision and choreography. The final feature of this exhbition, of course, was a sixteenth-note run by the entire hornline, which, besides being musically exciting, happened to be played with the brass players fingering the instruments of the players beside them, quickly switching hands intermittingly.

Finally I became acquainted with the last section of the show, started by a moving reprise of the 6/8 melody that was introduced earlier. The tension builds and builds until the corps reaches a final chord, a pause is heard, and then engages in a beatiful, emotional chorale entitled “We Go On,” one that exemplifies the whole theme that the people on the field performing this masterpiece were, indeed, the future. The show closes with an ever-building, ridiculously fast seven-four section that leads to the final three chords of the show, the third of which is an eight-count crescendo, barely able to be heard over the cheer of the crowd, signifying the end of the production.

I listened to the show very often after first acquiring it, slowly familiarizing myself with it, constantly humming it in my head. Eventually I obtained a copy of the visual production, adding a whole new element to the show. The visual production, I felt, was perfectly executed and completely extraordinary. It wasn’t the Cavies-esque succession of visually pleasing stints—it was fast, fluid drill that fits with the music, creating a complete moving symphony of bodies across the field. The last thirty seconds of the show, I feel along with many others, consist of some of the greatest, most energetic drill ever put on the field.

The show represents exactly what the Cadets stand for: incredible, powerful, beautiful music accompanied with an amazing visual program that are married to form an emotional production representing a different aspect of this world.

And that’s why I chose Cadets 2000 as the best drum corps production of all time.

I'll tell you exactly why I voted for Cadets 2000 and why it is my favorite drum corps show of all time.

First of all, and I’ll say this up front: this show is the whole reason why I’m a drum corps fan in the first place, the whole reason why I attended the Classic Countdown last night, the whole reason why I post on these forums. Sure, I had heard of drum corps before. My band director had mentioned it, encouraging us to go a show that was in town, casually mentioning it to compare it to marching band, and whatnot. My friends and I knew what it was, except I had had absolutely zero exposure to it.

The first actual viewing of drum corps I experienced was when I was perusing a site that had some finals videos for downlaod and noticed that some drum corps called the Cadets of Bergen County had performed To Tame the Perilous Skies in 1992. I fan of the piece, I downloaded it, but unfortunately, my speakers were not working at the time and I could only watch the visual program. I immediately noticed the perfection of the visual product—much more refined than anything I had seen in marching band—and the complexity of the drill that was performed.

Hrothgar15,

Thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping for.........a passionate and articulate explanation of how the 2000 Cadets 'Did it' for you. Musical Spinner, I appreciate your remarks too. Next time I watch this corps I can be mindful of what you've written and probably will have a greater appreciation of what is there. By the way, the 'Perilous Skies' show is one of my three or four all-time favorite Cadets shows.

One brief story........several summers ago, 1999 I think, I was driving a bus on tour for the Colts and we were heading west through Nebraska towards Denver and DATR. It was about 2:00am and I was tired. We had done several all-night trips in a row and we faced another couple of 500 mile runs in a row just getting to and from DATR. I was thinking dark thoughts about how I could be home in my own bed but no.........here I was going to Denver AGAIN for a drum corps show. I mean there was nothing adventurous about the DATR show. I had marched in it. I had driven drum corps to it four or five times already.

Then, a guy from the back of the bus stumbles up. He starts asking me about how much further it is to Colorado and if it were daylight would we be able to see the mountains yet. This guy was in his first year with the Colts but he had five years experience in DII/DIII corps. He started talking about that and said "You know, I've been doing drum corps since I was 14 but this will be my very first time marching at Drums Along the Rockies. This is SOOOO great!"

This was a conversation which reaffirmed for me why I enjoy spending up to a couple of weeks of my summer vacation driving drum corps and also of what the excitement of heading for one of the landmark major shows for the first time is like. I mean marching at DATR might have been the one reason this guy joined the Colts that summer in the first place.

So anyway, my point is that sometimes appreciating something that would otherwise seem 'ordinary' (Like a show in which the Cadets march really fast) is a matter of stepping back and asking someone else why it resonates for them.

OK - Friday evening. School's out. You guys have a great weekend!

David

I agree with David on this one. I didn't care for it. Sure it had its moments, towards the end but I just didn't like the music for sure. The drill was nice and all but, just didn't do much for me. Neither did Boston's show for that matter. It was confusing to me. And my brother in law who was with us didn't march made the great point that these later shows didn't have as much "fun" as the others. Sure they were technically great but where was the "fun". Then in the end he said, "Oh they saved it for the end, what about the rest of the show"?

Just observation from a brother in law whose brother marched in 27 in 78.

You can call me old school all day long, but I'd take Madison's 75 show wailing on MacArthur's Park over that show any day of the week.

I was also disappointed in the camera coverage of the Cavaliers show, you'd figure they'd get the "fight club" from a better angle..you'd figure by now they'd get it right. :blink:  I loved that Cavies show but I guess it's better seeing it live to me.

P.S. I also didn't see all the hype of the SCV 89 show (I'm not saying it wasn't great but), I thought the 88 SCV had much more emotion. The drill of 89 was great but it was almost the same as 88 but the 88 did it for me, it made me cry. That one didn't.

The thing I don't understand was the DCI article about SCV's 1989 show versus the '88 version of Phantom of the Opera. It said that they (SCV) took out all the fluff in the '89 version. I was like, huh? My recollection was that it was obvious that the '89 version had a ton more fluff than the '88 version.

My idea for further DCI movies would be a top 12 by decade. This would be the champions performance for each year, plus 2 wildcard performances which fans would vote. I have the Blue Devils 1980's decade DVD. I loved the round table they have on it.

The 80's forever reshaped drum corps like no other period of time in drum corps. It kind of started in the last few years of the 70's, but 1983 to me was the year that really changed it forever. The Cadets drill speed and the color guard changes and the pit were dramatic changes. The Blue Devils musical technical performances. Even when Cadets won 3 years in a row, I think BD took brass and percussion 3 years in a row, during the 84-86 stretch. Then, SCV always right on the heels of those 2 corps. the mid-80's are the best period of time, that really transformed drum corps.

2000 Cadets drill was amazing!!!!! I usually only say that about Cavies drill but after watching 2000 cadets (for some reason April, 21 2005 was the first time I saw the show) I wasnt as impressed with Cavies 02......I guess I just like Cadets version of loud and fast more!!!!!!!!!!!!!