DCI at the Movies

Since this was an audience-voted show, maybe there is no real reason...other than the idea that lots of people just happened to like them!

It's not my favorite Cadet show either, but it's still a god one...and just to see the tenors makes it worthy for me, and old Cadet tenore player.    :P

Mike

Yes, but they have to play on 5-6 drums now, not just single tenors... :P

Mike

(Recovering tenor player)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2000 Cadets was an incredible show no doubt, but the 1984 or 1987 shows would have sent chills to all in the theater last night. The crowd at our theater started wooping it up when they showed that brief clip of 84 garfield. WOW.

Jonathan Willis

Yes, but they have to play on 5-6 drums now, not just single tenors...  :P

Mike

(Recovering tenor player)

Hey!!! I had 3...count em...3 to play on, not just one! In fact, I was in Garfield's first tri-tom line!

:P

But it sure was messy going out to kill and clean all those calves to make our drumheads! (ewwwww)

Mike

I'm a firm believer that drum corps shows of the past should be critiqued in the context of the time in which they were performed. The 2000 Cadets "We Are The Future" was not the "800lb Gorilla" of 1984 nor did it have the visual artistry of '85 or '87; however, it was an excellent combination of the elements which the Cadets have been known for.....fast tempos, a high velocity visual package, a smokin' percussion line and an excellent brass line.

At a time when drum corps fans were complaining about the lack of music that was more "accessible" this show delivered the goods in terms of both fan accessibility and a challenge to the corps members. :blink:

In my humble and somewhat biased opinion, this show had something for everyone. As both a fan and an alum I enjoyed the 2000 program thoroughly. I showed my appreciation as vocally as vocally and as I possibly could. Thanks for a great season! :music:

I agree with David on this one. I didn't care for it. Sure it had its moments, towards the end but I just didn't like the music for sure. The drill was nice and all but, just didn't do much for me. Neither did Boston's show for that matter. It was confusing to me. And my brother in law who was with us didn't march made the great point that these later shows didn't have as much "fun" as the others. Sure they were technically great but where was the "fun". Then in the end he said, "Oh they saved it for the end, what about the rest of the show"?

Just observation from a brother in law whose brother marched in 27 in 78.

You can call me old school all day long, but I'd take Madison's 75 show wailing on MacArthur's Park over that show any day of the week.

I was also disappointed in the camera coverage of the Cavaliers show, you'd figure they'd get the "fight club" from a better angle..you'd figure by now they'd get it right. :blink: I loved that Cavies show but I guess it's better seeing it live to me.

P.S. I also didn't see all the hype of the SCV 89 show (I'm not saying it wasn't great but), I thought the 88 SCV had much more emotion. The drill of 89 was great but it was almost the same as 88 but the 88 did it for me, it made me cry. That one didn't.

Edited by Lancerlady

Maybe I considered 2000 a corporate sellout pandering for the 'Spirit of Disney' award or something.

I think they played the music because it was good stuff (I assume). It obviously had some reach to the audience.

I think they played the music because it was good stuff (I assume).  It obviously had some reach to the audience.

I agree with this analysis. The music the show was taken from is very good and something I listen to at least once every week. I am a little surprised that no one here has seen the night show at Epcot where the music is played...

For me it's how emotional the music is. I think the Cadets did a great job choosing this show because the music is perfect for a field. Think about it, its the music of a Disney Fireworks show, it was composed to be exciting and pull at the heart and the Cadets played the #### out of it and thats what did it for me.

I agree with this analysis. The music the show was taken from is very good and something I listen to at least once every week. I am a little surprised that no one here has seen the night show at Epcot where the music is played...

I've seen the Epcot show and have the CD :blink:.

It's great music, it's just not my top Cadets show.