DCI at the Movies

I'm seeing lot's of buzz for the 2000 Cadets following the DCI Movie night. Many people are listing them as one of their 3 favorites.

Personally, the 2000 Cadets were among my three least favorite corps last night. As I sat there watching this show I could tick off nearly a dozen other Cadet shows I would have rather seen like 1982, 83, 84, 86, 87, 89, 91, 93, 95, and 2001 for starters.

Please - and I'm not trying to be a jerk......I'm seriously asking for enlightenment here - those of you who have the 2000 Cadets among your favorites last night please tell me what it is about that show that you liked and appreciated so much. Tell me what I'm missing and I'll go back and have another look for myself at home.

For comparison for those who haven't read the other thread yet, my three 'favorite' shows last night were the ones I enjoyed significantly more than I expected to before the event.......1) Blue Devils, 2) Santa Clara, and 3) Boston.

One other note, I equally enjoyed Madison, Spirit of Atlanta, and 27th Lancers but as a marching member in the early 1980's I had already worn out the original videos and LP's of those shows 20 years ago. I knew what to expect from them and it was like running into old friends who have aged well.

Thanks,

David

Edited by notelvis

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 2000 Cadets were on there for a 2 reasons.

1. Disney show

2. first corps to "win" in Bb"

I origionally voted for 83 Cadets. That is by far one of the best shows EVER. Not to say anything bad about anyone else, but a mid-80's GARFIELD show would have done more justice to represent the 80's. Garfield defined the decade, SCV just ended it.

MY THOUGHTS, NOONE ELSES...

Good reply though. I agree with the Cadets and desiring to see other shows. But dang, with the volume in our theater and hearing other audience members applaud all throughout that show, I cannot remember exactly how many times, but I got goosebumps over and over during that show. I believe they really reached out to the audience with that show. The jam session was awesome to see again.

The company front near the end just really put a cap on a great show.

Personally, the 2000 Cadets were among my three least favorite corps last night. As I sat there watching this show I could tick off nearly a dozen other Cadet shows I would have rather seen like 1982, 83, 84, 86, 87, 89, 91, 93, 95, and 2001 for starters.

Its not my favorite Cadet show, but the same could be said for almost every corps shown last night, IMO.

Please - and I'm not trying to be a jerk......I'm seriously asking for enlightenment here - those of you who have the 2000 Cadets among your favorites last night please tell me what it is about that show that you liked and appreciated so much. Tell me what I'm missing and I'll go back and have another look for myself at home.

Hmmm. . .some nice, well designed fast pace drill, a kick butt guard (minus the few drops), a great hornline (although probably should not have won Ott until 01), a very fun middle show off section, and a great, exciting fast paced ending. I'd say you're missing a lot. Or, maybe you are just choosing to not see it for other reasons. Be honest.

For comparison for those who haven't read the other thread yet, my three 'favorite' shows last night were the ones I enjoyed significantly more than I expected to before the event.......1) Blue Devils, 2) Santa Clara, and 3) Boston.

I gained a new appreciation for SCV 89 last night, not that I did not enjoy it before. As far as Boston goes, I felt the same way last night that I felt in 2000. It was a well designed, heart tugging show that was poorly performed and highly overrated in its 5th place. GE should only take a show so far. The performance of the show should have lowered it at least a couple of spots.

Anyway, I too would not have chosen 2000 Cadets as their best, but it is still a great show.

I watched the Cadets rehearsing in the middle of July that summer and felt certain they had a championship show. It's one of the only times I've felt that strongly.

However, I might have picked 1987, or a show from 1990-1994 before it. That could also be because I was much more in touch with drum corps during that period, as well as the shows being very good.

Hmmm. . .some nice, well designed fast pace drill, a kick butt guard (minus the few drops), a great hornline (although probably should not have won Ott until 01), a very fun middle show off section, and a great, exciting fast paced ending.  I'd say you're missing a lot.  Or, maybe you are just choosing to not see it for other reasons.  Be honest.

Fair enough.........but everything you mention is something we have come to expect from the Cadets and it all is something that, in my opinion, there are better examples of the Cadets doing in other seasons.......2001 included. If it were not for the fact that I so enjoyed this corps a year later I would consider that maybe I had some sort of bend against them for being so fast to adopt Bb instrumentation or concerns over what amplification might bring to the activity......I don't know.

Maybe I considered 2000 a corporate sellout pandering for the 'Spirit of Disney' award or something.........it's just a show that didn't click with me at the time and seeing it last night it still didn't click. Not saying it was a bad show.....it wasn't. Not saying the performance quality was not what we would expect from the Cadets.....it was. Just saying that it did not strike me as one of the classic shows which screams "This is what the Cadets are all about."

I appreciate the replies to this point and will check back for more later......can't spend the entire day acting like I'm working hard but actually lurking on dcp!

Thanks,

David

Edited by notelvis

I only got to see Cadets live one time in 2000. I really liked the show because of the "wow" factor. After watching it again last night, I still like the show, but I realize how nasty the drill was.

1. First show i ever saw, other than the cavilers from the same year.

2. Drill

3. Music

4. The girl at the end before the company front that hits her chest twice and then kisses her hand, it is kinda like she is saying goodbye and thank you to the activity, or at least that is how i took it.

5. emotion from the entire corp.

6. It just a great show

Fair enough.........but everything you mention is something we have come to expect from the Cadets and it all is something that, in my opinion, there are better examples of the Cadets doing in other seasons.......2001 included. If it were not for the fact that I so enjoyed this corps a year later I would consider that maybe I had some sort of bend against them for being so fast to adopt Bb instrumentation or concerns over what amplification might bring to the activity......I don't know.

Since this was an audience-voted show, maybe there is no real reason...other than the idea that lots of people just happened to like them!

It's not my favorite Cadet show either, but it's still a god one...and just to see the tenors makes it worthy for me, and old Cadet tenore player. :P

Mike

I agree that there were at least 4 or 5 other Cadet shows that I would have personally chosen over this one.

I would hazard a guess that 82-85 and others canceled each other out vote-wise, leaving 2000 as the Cadet show to be shown.

It was a good show, just not my favorite Cadets show of the DCI era.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any mention of Cesario's introduction :music:, it got as much reaction from the crowd as the show itself.

:blink:

Edited by StarContra4-85