1984 Suncoast Sound

Requiem was awesome. I remember Suncoast arcing up and playing to us after a show somewhere down south and all of our jaws just hitting the ground. I will NEVER forget it. What an amazing horn line.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Russell!!! You need to write your memoirs about your years with Suncoast. Reason being is because while I don't know the 82 show at all, the 1983 hornline and the overall show in 1984 was UNFREAKINGbelievable. I think you're work in 1984 was great, and you put out a great corps. It would also be interesting to see how you went from your time in the mid 80's heavily involved with three stellar programs (Spirit, Suncoast, and SCV--you have a thing for "S" corps?) to nothing. Did you get disenchanted with the activity? Seems like you were destined for greatness after your work in 1984....

Anyway...great job!! Awesome!!! 84 is absolutely one of the best Suncoast's ever....

• 1 month later...

Just a little reminder...

sswall.gifsspeace.gif

While the '85 show was and is my all-time favorite, the '84 show isn't that far behind (and '86 as well. B) ).

Great photos, Randy and Russell. Thanks for posting them!

Man, what an awesome drill that was! Great job with that show, Russell. I can tell you're proud of it and you have every right to be.

I'm trying to remember, were long ribbons or banners added to the "waving flag" move by the end of the season? For some reason I seem to remember seeing something like that.

Man, what an awesome drill that was! Great job with that show, Russell. I can tell you're proud of it and you have every right to be.

I'm trying to remember, were long ribbons or banners added to the "waving flag" move by the end of the season? For some reason I seem to remember seeing something like that.

Yeah....the last camera shot on the 84 DVD is high camera...as the flag waves (left to right), the guard's running through the form, pulling out red or white (and very small blue) ribbons (3 ft wide or so?)....creating a complete flag at the end...VERY cool vizh!

Thanks, Sam. I thought I remembered something like that. The memory is a terrible wasted thi... a terrible thing to waste. B)

Yeah, that was originally supposed to be part of the overall effect. I even wanted the fabric stripes to wave as well but we didn't have the money for the fabric so I wound up creating the effect with bodies only. Then at the last minute, funds all of a sudden materialized so with only a day or two to work it in that was the best that I could do. Just about the entire corps (except drumline) had to learn new drill for this and we unveiled it at the last show before going to Atlanta.

Truth be told I actually liked the effect better before we added the fabric. I had been lobbying all summer for funds to purchase veils (like those used in '83) for the entire guard to be used at the beginning of Aquarius when they were the ring around the planet Jupiter. When the money finally came, the stripes idea was revisited and it was decided to be used there instead.