The "Z-Pull Pile-up"

If I remember correctly, 1983 was the first year of the Z-pull and 1984 was the whitewater pile up.

I agree. Also Allentown 86 was reduced to a standstill. They tried to dry the field with a helicopter but to no avail. A standstill was the only workable compromise between the parks dept and the crowd, which would have been an angry mob if they didn't at least get something for their money.

Now there is field turf and drainage, which should cut down on the rainouts.

I agree. Also Allentown 86 was reduced to a standstill. They tried to dry the field with a helicopter but to no avail. A standstill was the only workable compromise between the parks dept and the crowd, which would have been an angry mob if they didn't at least get something for their money.

Now there is field turf and drainage, which should cut down on the rainouts.

Yes you are correct about the helicopter trying to dry it off for prelims....I have photos of that bizzare moment. However, prelims did go on.....it was DCI East finals that was cut to a stand still.

Look at the scores here....you'll only see prelims and at the bottom it says finals was canceled due to rain;

DCI East Prelims Scores

Edited by Malibu

Was it '83? Geez....you guys make me want to view my videos now!  b**bs

Hey, dontcha just love getting old! NOT! b**bs :P I have to do that a lot, even when the years I marched!

But to answer Dan's questions....did you go to the "Pittsfield Mass" show in 86? Maybe that was where we had "issues" cause we had to march on a baseball stadium and the pitchers mound threw us off...maybe this is what you remember about 27 having a similiar experience? :)

:music:

Yeah, they say the memory is the first thing to go... :music::blink: :P

Yes you are correct about the helicopter trying to dry it off for prelims....I have photos of that bizzare moment. However, prelims did go on.....it was DCI East finals that was cut to a stand still.

Look at the scores here....you'll only see prelims and at the bottom it says finals was canceled due to rain;

DCI East Prelims Scores

Wow! That's right! That was one of our best shows of the year! (Besides being ripped off at prelims) :P But I remember that now cause Phantom was ###### that Star beat them and they were pulling the tape out of the cassettes from critique in the parking lot. :) :music: I remember thinking..geez what are they so mad about? But then I saw the scores... :sshh:

Edited by Lancerlady

Yes it was '84 for the pile up , someone mentioned the field bieng wet...I really dont recall that , I remember it being a warm night with mosquitos the size of sopranos digging into us ( at least at retreat) nor do I recall them winning visual or the show that night, Im pretty sure that was B.D.

My trivia question about 27th is what show and what year was it the sprinklers came on during the re-entry...great G.E.

First Z pull...1983 (end of Rocky Point Holliday...both as the opener and as the reprise at the end of the show)

Whitewater Wipeout...1984. Whitewater finals...Garfield did NOT win the show...SCV did. Garf 2nd, BD 3rd (and we were happy that a fellow West coast corps took it if we didn't) Perfect intervals i nthe horn line....you cound set you watch by the tempo they kept falling at! I DO remember a perfect marching score...but not if it was the full caption or a subcap...BD and Regiment were reviewing the recaps at the time and reached that perfect score at the same time. We looked at each other en masse with a WTF look on our collective faces.

Rain at Whitewater? Uhh.....no. In fact, I recall the grass as being the most dead thing we ever marched on. I certainly don;t remember any slick surface during finals (in case they watered the field between prelims and finals). In fact, the onlyh time I ever slipped was my first pivot at DATR because I hit a chalk line on the dirt infield.

Now Greenville, SC and Pt. Huron, MI....THAT'S where it rained on us on show day. Greenville turned into a park & bark show and Pt. Huron got cancelled in the middle of the event.

First Z pull...1983 (end of Rocky Point Holliday...both as the opener and as the reprise at the end of the show)

Whitewater Wipeout...1984.  Whitewater finals...Garfield did NOT win the show...SCV did.  Garf 2nd, BD 3rd (and we were happy that a fellow West coast corps took it if we didn't)  Perfect intervals i nthe horn line....you cound set you watch by the tempo they kept falling at!  I DO remember a perfect marching score...but not if it was the full caption or a subcap...BD and Regiment were reviewing the recaps at the time and reached that perfect score at the same time.  We looked at each other en masse with a WTF look on our collective faces.

Rain at Whitewater?  Uhh.....no.  In fact, I recall the grass as being the most dead thing we ever marched on.  I certainly don;t remember any slick surface during finals (in case they watered the field between prelims and finals).  In fact, the onlyh time I ever slipped was my first pivot at DATR because I hit a chalk line on the dirt infield.

Now Greenville, SC and Pt. Huron, MI....THAT'S where it rained on us on show day.  Greenville turned into a park & bark show and Pt. Huron got cancelled in the middle of the event.

Hey Sam rember the photos from that year,

it looked like white paint on a dirt parking lot.