The "Z-Pull Pile-up"

can anyone remember when and where in the 80's the infamous Z-Pull pile-up happened?  I know it wasn't during finals...but during the season sometime.

I also heard that they ended up winning the marching caption that night as well...

I'm thinking it was 1986 in Allentown. I do remember seeing some horns going down.....the field was very wet.

I thought it was tagged as the "Whitewater wipe out" in and it was 1986?! :P I thought for some reason 1984? :music: HELP! b**bs

I was there I saw it, but my memory is fuzzy on which show..Allentown or Whitewater.

BTW I couldn't believe how cool it was to see them all get back up and carry on like nothing ever happened. Yes they won the show anyway I believe. They went down and right back up like it was part of the show....:).

Edited by Lancerlady

It was 1984 DCI Midwest Finals in Whitewater, WI. I believe the corps won field visual that night as well.

I'm sure Cadet84 will post the definitive answer.

Guest DrumCorpFan
It was 1984 DCI Midwest Finals in Whitewater, WI.  I believe the corps won field visual that night as well.

I'm sure Cadet84 will post the definitive answer.

It was definitely the Great Whitewater Wipeout of 1984. I was backfield when it happened, getting ready for retreat. I was talking to a couple of other 2-7 members and had my back to the field when both their eyes bugged out and they said, "Whoa, did you see that?" By the time I turned around they were already back up and the crowd was going nuts. As I recall, they took 2nd at that show, but I am not certain. We did help repair some of the horns that were severely damaged. It couldn't have been 1986 because I aged out in 1985.

What year was the Z-pull done first?

What year was the Z-pull done first?

I believe they did it the first time in 1982 right

It was definitely the Great Whitewater Wipeout of 1984.  I was backfield when it happened, getting ready for retreat.  I was talking to a couple of other 2-7 members and had my back to the field when both their eyes bugged out and they said, "Whoa, did you see that?"  By the time I turned around they were already back up and the crowd was going nuts.  As I recall, they took 2nd at that show, but I am not certain.  We did help repair some of the horns that were severely damaged.  It couldn't have been 1986 because I aged out in 1985.

I was there on the front sideline watching it incredulously, but I dont remeber it being in 84, seems about 2 or 3 years too late.

They still won the show too and about 15 people were involved in the crash. Now my mind is getting fuzzy with age, but is it possible 2-7 had a similar pileup at whitewater?

I was there on the front sideline watching it incredulously, but I dont remeber it being in 84, seems about 2 or 3 years too late.

They still won the show too and about 15 people were involved in the crash.  Now my mind is getting fuzzy with age, but is it possible 2-7 had a similar pileup at whitewater?

not that year, unless you're talking about the show itself (well except for the drum line).