That One Special Person that made you Love DC

Although I had been in drum corps for a mere 6 or 7 years, Ted Key from Canada really made me enjoy drum corps more than I thought. He was a true educator. Before that we had guys who weren't really teachers. Ted made me appreciate playing my horn (or trumpet).

Thanks Ted!!!

Although I had been in drum corps for a mere 6 or 7 years, Ted Key from Canada really made me enjoy drum corps more than I thought.  He was a true educator.  Before that we had guys who weren't really teachers.  Ted made me appreciate playing my horn (or trumpet). 

Thanks Ted!!!

My dad. I remember being about 5 or 6 and hearing a weird rumbling coming from the distance - I love weird rumblings. I didn't really think anything of it, but my dad packed me up and threw me in the car and we drove about a mile down the road to the Santa Clara University football field and lo and behold what lay before my eyes? Literally dozens of Drum & Bell corps warming up to go on for the California State Championships. Okay, this was kinda cool, although the sounds of glokenspiels can really grate on one's sensibilities after a while, but before tolong I heard another sound entirely. Brass and real drum lines. I have no idea who it was I watched at that first show, but my Dad's enthusiasm was contagious. We bought our tickets, I think it was an outrageous $2 (hear that DCI, you money grubbing b@#$%^#s), we got something to eat and settled in for a feast of the sences. I know now that the corps we watched probably sucked by even the standards of the day, but they were gods to me and my Dad that night. As time moved on this became a yearly event for my Dad and I, eventually the corps got a little better, my all time favorite being the Commodores from Stockton, Ca. I got to watch the birth of the Santa Clara Vanguard, I even remember my Dad saying, "There's a corps that will someday do something special." He was right, within a couple of years they won American Legion and than VFW.

I digress.

I don't think there was ever a prouder day in my Dad's life as when he found out I was going to tour with SCV. I didn't realize or appreciate it at the time, but he was in heaven - especially when we came home with the DCI title that year('73).

I miss my Dad and his love of the sport, but he was that special person that gave me my love of Drum Corps. Thanks Dad. I love you.

It's really funny because I didn't realize it at the time. I was exposed to a Drum and Bell Corps through my band buddies in Jr. High. I joined the "Liberty Bells" of San Jose and started to learn the fine art of tenor drumming. But, it was my sister who was turned on to the Santa Clara Vanguard by a friend at hers in High School during the same period. She was the one who went into unexplored territory with practices every week and weekend and then finally packed up and headed out on tour across the country (unheard of by us West Coasters). My family and I followed her and the Corps to VFW in Philly and when I saw the Kilties ('69 VFW Champs) and the Troopers, I became forever hooked. Thanks Sis and friend.

It's really funny because I didn't realize it at the time.  I was exposed to a Drum and Bell Corps through my band buddies in Jr. High.  I joined the "Liberty Bells" of San Jose and started to learn the fine art of tenor drumming.  But, it was my sister who was turned on to the Santa Clara Vanguard by a friend at hers in High School during the same period. She was the one who went into unexplored territory with practices every week and weekend and then finally packed up and headed out on tour across the country (unheard of by us West Coasters).  My family and I followed her and the Corps to VFW in Philly and when I saw the Kilties ('69 VFW Champs) and the Troopers, I became forever hooked.  Thanks Sis and friend.

I remember the Liberty Bells, you guys rocked!!!!

Braga and Ms. Bus Driver: It has come time to confess that, yes, even I was, at least for a short while, a-a-a-a (deep breath!)

"Tenor Drummer."

Antlers Drum & Bugle Corps, Burbank, CA (59-64?)

I feel so dirty.

As for the "special person," I can't remember one. While jibbing around with a friend for something to do around jr. high age, before "music" that is (Civil Air Patrol, Scouts, drag strips, etc.), we ended up at his old man's Elks post drum corps. I "got" the premise immediately and so spent my pre-Ambassadors and Kingsmen years marching in every parade from San Diego to Salinas.

My first trip to 62 AL Nationals and seeing the legends I'd been hearing on those old records and reading about in the trade papers, especially Hawthorne for some reason (a whole buncha shiny horns and a phat crazy line of congas and timbales playing "I Love Lucy"?). Well, THAT sealed the deal!

Hey, a 14 year old drum corps grom hanging out with Hawthorne? It's no wonder I turned out like this.

Rump-rump!

And Rip-rip!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Although I had been in drum corps for a mere 6 or 7 years, Ted Key from Canada really made me enjoy drum corps more than I thought.  He was a true educator.  Before that we had guys who weren't really teachers.  Ted made me appreciate playing my horn (or trumpet). 

Thanks Ted!!!

Meg Ratford.

And she probably doesn't even know it.

Sharon :)

My dad. I remember being about 5 or 6 and hearing a weird rumbling coming from the distance - I love weird rumblings. I didn't really think anything of it, but my dad packed me up and threw me in the car and we drove about a mile down the road to the Santa Clara University football field and lo and behold what lay before my eyes? Literally dozens of Drum & Bell corps warming up to go on for the California State Championships. Okay, this was kinda cool, although the sounds of glokenspiels can really grate on one's sensibilities after a while, but before tolong I heard another sound entirely. Brass and real drum lines. I have no idea who it was I watched at that first show, but my Dad's enthusiasm was contagious. We bought our tickets, I think it was an outrageous $2 (hear that DCI, you money grubbing b@#$%^#s), we got something to eat and settled in for a feast of the sences. I know now that the corps we watched probably sucked by even the standards of the day, but they were gods to me and my Dad that night. As time moved on this became a yearly event for my Dad and I, eventually the corps got a little better, my all time favorite being the Commodores from Stockton, Ca. I got to watch the birth of the Santa Clara Vanguard, I even remember my Dad saying, "There's a corps that will someday do something special." He was right, within a couple of years they won American Legion and than VFW.

I digress.

I don't think there was ever a prouder day in my Dad's life as when he found out I was going to tour with SCV. I didn't realize or appreciate it at the time, but he was in heaven - especially when we came home with the DCI title that year('73).

I miss my Dad and his love of the sport, but he was that special person that gave me my love of Drum Corps. Thanks Dad. I love you.

MIke....This is very a cool tribute . I too was introduced to Drum Corps by my parents and for that I thank them dearly. I cherish my Drum Corps memories !!

Edited by john2780

MIke....This is very a cool tribute . I too was introduced to Drum Corps by my parents and for that I thank them dearly. I cherish my Drum Corps memories !!

Thanks John.