Greatest Drum & Bugle Competition of all time!

My vote goes to the 1966 American Legion "National" Championship held the evening of August 28th 1966 in DC Stadium (prior to being named RFK). After prelims the previous day the lineup was set with 10 some of the greatest Senior & Junior Drum Corps of all times:

Chicago Cavaliers: Perenial Mid-West 60's powerhouse having one of their greatest years and still smarting after being upset by Casper in the VFW held the Wed. before.

Boston Crusaders: Another 60's contender in the midst of their glory years. Winners of the World Open beating Casper by a wide margin then finishing 3rd at the VFW they had the misfortue of drawing 1st after a strong 3rd palce showing in the prelims.

Chicago Royal Airs: Sentimental favorite after glorious 1965 season and defending champion. Came on strong at the end of the year and certainly deserved to be in this lineup.

Blessed Sacrament: What can you say? Upset everyone a few days earlier to win the Dream in Jersey City and finished 2nd in the prelims.

Casper Troopers: Meticulous execution, especially drill had garnered them the 1966 VFW crown and they were looking towards winning the AL to add to their titles.

Seniors:

Ct. Hurricanes: In the midst of perhaps their best year they were one of the favorite to win the crown

NY Skyliners: Another fabulous Skyliner Corps that added a new demension to their show with a executed drill. Winners of that years Dream they were the odds on favorite going in.

Rochester Crusaders: Defending champion after stunning perenial AL champion Hawthorne the previous year in Portland they had set their sites on doing it again.

Yankee Rebels: Performaing in their home turf they were another corps who felt they could win.

Hawthorne: A year after the senior split Hawthorne was having somehwhat of a up and down year. 4th at the Dream the previous Sunday they were determined to win back their championship.

The setting. Beautiful night, DC stadium packed on one side. It was the height of the 1960's National experience. Their was tension in the air as Boston came out of the dugout and up to the starting line. One corps after another thrilled the crowd. When it was over their were cheers, tears and anger. Chicago solidified their claim as the Nation's top Junior with a solid win in the Junior competition over Boston while Casper, the VFW champion slid to third behind Sac. In the Seniors it was Hawthone in one of their greatest wins ever (and one of thier alltime clutch performances) edging the Hurcs while the Skyliners finished a distant 4th. The Retreat was not pretty. The Skyliners were incensed (and also Ct.) and I will let others tell the stories of what did and did not happen on the field that night after the scores were announced. Today, thousands of Drum Corps contests later and the advent of DCI it remains a night to remember and one I will never forget. If anyone else has memories of that night I would like you to share them. Sorry for these old 1960's rantings.

The Retreat was not pretty.  The Skyliners were incensed (and also Ct.) and I will let others tell the stories of what did and did not happen on the field that night after the scores were announced.

Sorry for these old 1960's rantings.

Wow, heard this story a few weeks ago while on a bus trip to a parade. Let's just say Sky needed to buy new snare sticks before the next show. :P

Seriously, the person telling me this thought that the controversy was one of the big reasons why some corps decided to go with the new independant circuit starting up (aka DCA). Wonder if anyone from that era has thoughts on this idea.

And keep them '60s rantings coming, I love DC history. :)

Wow, heard this story a few weeks ago while on a bus trip to a parade. Let's just say Sky needed to buy new snare sticks before the next show.  :P

Seriously, the person telling me this thought that the controversy was one of the big reasons why some corps decided to go with the new independant circuit starting up (aka DCA). Wonder if anyone from that era has thoughts on this idea.

And keep them '60s rantings coming, I love DC history.  :)

The Caballeros came out of nowhere and won the show by beating the Hurcs by very small fraction. Back then scores were carried out to like 4 decimal places.

The Skyliners who were a top favorite that year were dumped in fourth.

Everyone was shocked and angry. As Sky paraded off during retreat the drummers threw their sticks at the judges. The Hurricanes came off and turned around in the end zone played at the audience which was a no-no.

This was my dad's account of the story to me. He marched tenor in the Hurcs during the 60's.

The Caballeros came out of nowhere and won the show by beating the Hurcs by very small fraction. Back then scores were carried out to like 4 decimal places.

The Skyliners who were a top favorite that year were dumped in fourth.

Everyone was shocked and angry. As Sky paraded off during retreat the drummers threw their sticks at the judges. The Hurricanes came off and turned around in the end zone played at the audience which was a no-no.

This was my dad's account of the story to me. He marched tenor in the Hurcs during the 60's.

"1966 Legion Finals":

Drum Corps News ran their post nationals issue that included a center section of photographs of the actions of the corps that are described in previous postings.

What sticks in my mind (and I wish I could figure out a way to print this) is the great dignity of the Hawthorne Caballeros drum major (Ralph Silverbrand :angry: ) and the color guard of the Cabs rendering the salute to the other corps as they exited the field.

DCA had been in existance for three years, and their 1966 Championship, held in Bridgeport CT three weeks later saw the Skyliners win the title, slipping past the Hurricanes by one tenth of a point. Hawthorne finished in fifth place. I do not recall them displaying any form of unsportsmanlike conduct at that contests retreat.......

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

I would put Allentown 1980 right up there.

It was a magical night and 27 was at the height of their powers. It may have been the best show the corps ever did in their history.

Not to mention BD, Spirit, Bayonne and Madison.

Probably the most excitement I have ever felt in the stands.

I would put Allentown 1980 right up there. 

It was a magical night and 27 was at the height of their powers.  It may have been the best show the corps ever did in their history.

Not to mention BD, Spirit, Bayonne and Madison.

Probably the most excitement I have ever felt in the stands.

I agree....but I will also add 1980 finals. It was a nail biter that year! No one was really sure "who" would be the victor. Also many corps from top to bottom gave a remarkable performance........nah....I'm not biased! B)

I agree....but I will also add 1980 finals. It was a nail biter that year! No one was really sure "who" would be the victor. Also many corps from top to bottom gave a remarkable performance........nah....I'm not biased!  B)

Everytime I see the show,I get goose bumps....It was a great a memerable year for Drum Corps,and the East..

Mo!

Everytime I see the show,I get goose bumps....It was a great a memerable year for Drum Corps,and the East..

Mo!

There were some emotional performances that night. Spirit stands out for me because of Jim Ott. Man, I wish our hornline could have been just a few tenths better. Oh well (as George Z. used to say)..........it just wasn't meant to be.