Santa Clara Vanguard 1992- 91.8!?!?!?

I'll admit, I haven't seen the visual portion of the show, but the music is just excellent (completely entertaining, emotional, and lightyears ahead of what the Cavaliers put on the field that year) and the performance does not seem a bit below that of 1989. So what happened? Was it visually dirty? Poor visual GE? A big mishap? Answers would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, IMO, the show deserved where it placed, musically and visually.

watch the top 6 corps and SCV, as well as Phantom right behind them in 8th.

MAJOR staff change in 1992. Much of the staff was fired! One of them, in fact, went on that same year to work with the Cavaliers. b**bs

Though not officially, 1992 was really the beginning of "the dark years". :o :blink:Shhh...we do not speak his name.

I've always loved this show. But here's my thinking:

What show should've placed lower than SCV? 1992 SCV had the misfortune of happening during a strong year. IMO the Top 7 shows are just great, with Phantom coming in right behind them.

1992 was a great year, and there just happened to be six other shows 'better' than SCV.

There were other issues I've heard about from members of that corps, but it's not my place to discuss. But I've always loved that show, and I think it's one of the more under rated shows.

--

doug

Sure wish they would have pulled out the old guard unis that they used on the Cali tour at finals.

Yes, but the scoring isn't relative to the other corps' performances. I'm asking what accounted for such a low score.

No offense, but if you think that scores aren't relative, then I'm not sure you really understand the current "build-up" judging system at all. While it's certainly true that the criteria for each box are very well spelled out, there's still a lot of wiggle room. Your score is not an absolute measure of anything, it's a rating comparing you to the other corps in competition that night. That show was just about my favorite of 1992, but it placed exactly where it deserved to, IMHO, not because there was necessarily anything wrong with it, but because there were six other corps that did a better job. Musically, I don't think it was as clean as you seem to; visually, it was really not very spectacular at all; and GE-wise, as much as I loved it, it was definitely an "80s" show being performed in 1992.

I agree with many of the comments.... the placement was fair because the top six were simply better than SCV. Visually, there wasn't anything special (notwithstanding those who were wowed by the bottle dance, but 20-30 seconds does not make a show) and, IMO, SCV wasn't really better muscially than the top six either.