Top Horn Lines of All Time

TexasPRfan

3.Star 90(by far the best mello line EVER)

Ok, but lest we forget the '98 Cadet mellophone line. Even though I marched in that line, I have to say that line is certainly up there, if not the best mellophone line ever heard. Musicality, demand, intonation, they had it all. Star '90..."King of the Trills" I would say, and "Grab you by the ba**s King" but not best mello line ever. IMPO.

Oh, and both lines were the product of The Bastar* of Brass, Donnie VanDoren. God Bless DVD.

Peace.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.Star 90(by far the best mello line EVER)

Ok, but lest we forget the '98 Cadet mellophone line. Even though I marched in that line, I have to say that line is certainly up there, if not the best mellophone line ever heard. Musicality, demand, intonation, they had it all. Star '90..."King of the Trills" I would say, and "Grab you by the ba**s King" but not best mello line ever. IMPO.

Oh, and both lines were the product of The Bastar* of Brass, Donnie VanDoren. God Bless DVD.

Peace.

Yeah, but only one had the craftmanship of an arranger named Jim Prime which is directly related to the musicianship and demand.

I think the Star 91 mello line is still heads over both those two lines..........

Edited by WoobieATL

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know much about drum corps before 2000(thats when i first found out about it). I've havent heard many shows, but the ones i like best are the following...

1. Cavies2002

2.Phantom regiment 1996

3. Cadets 2000

4. Cavies 2000

5. Star 1991

6. BD 1996

7.BD 1997

8.Phantom regiment 2001

Its not in a specific order

Guess nobody in this post marches DCA . How about the 1979 and 1980 Reading Buccaneers! That hornline ROCKED

Isnt this in a the junior corps forum "In the stands " ????

~G~

Check the description for the "In the Stands" forum again. I believe it says 'general drum corps discussion'. No harm in showing the seniors a little respect!

79, 80 or 81 Reading Bucs --- One of the best hornlines ever in DCA, and I'm proud to say I marched in that line. Judges were constantly comparing us to the Blue Devils. Quite a compliment. Tony Yaklich, the arranger / instructor for those years, was recently inducted into the DCA Hall of Fame.

Other noteable DCA hornlines:

76 Reading Bucs

77 or 78 Sunrisers

88 or 89 Bushwackers

95 Cabs

01 or 02 Syracuse Brigadiers

As for the juniors: (slightly off the beaten path)

72 Blue Stars

72 or 73 Argonne Rebels - Doug Denison!

74 Anaheim Kingsmen

75 Muchachos

76 Blue Devils

77 or 78 Bridgemen - very underated

80 Blue Devils / Lancers / Bridgemen / Spirit - imho THE best top 4 of all time!

82 Crossmen - another Tony Yaklich product

88 Madison Scouts

94 Blue Devils

02 Cavaliers

02 Magic of Orlando - IMO another underated hornline, can't wait to see them this year

Epcot's Future Corps - 13 of the finest horn players anywhere!