Keep the Amps out of drum corps, part dos

Jonathan,

excellent, very respectful post. I agree with a lot you have written. While I would rather see it all gone, I can totally live with comromise, vocals, narration, poetry reading...has got to go, its chezzy, done poorly, doesnt fit (all in my opinon) and totally goes against what druma nd bugle corps should be based on its name, drums and horns...and colorguard enhancement. Sounds should be coming from the musicians playing instruments.

I would love to get some organization on this petition, get the word out, get coverage at shows, the greater the number, the more relevant it becomes.

There is no reason that of many people dont care for something, and organization and follow through get the word across, then the directors have to listen, or else they really are just "in it" for themselves.

And for those against Narration, singing, etc....please, be caring, respectful, patient, and polite. Let them know that the are allowed to like the amplification, but not the voice, it doesnt have to be a package deal. The product on the field is what will convince those to sign, make them aware but leave the rest up to them.....you can lead the horse to water, and it will throw up from shock all by itself.

~G~

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Example...Coats are using amps, for this year's show...As Darren said, they may not next year. Who knows?

Forgive me, but I'll believe the whole "magically disappearing amps" trick when it happens.

"Magically disappearing amps" . . . you think VK would be interested in something like that?

/moment of levity off/

Amps will probably not be taken out of drum corps.

So grow up and get over it.

Hey, thanks for illustrating the point I made last night B)

Guest DrumCorpFan
It's pretty obvious to anyone who knows Jeff Fiedler that he does NOT feel that it would be impossible for the Cavaliers to be competitive without using amplification. But by all means, keep twisting his words around. Keep lying to people. Keep distorting things. You're really good at it.

Jeff's words were quoted directly. No twisting, no lying, no distorting. It's amazing how you can ignore such direct comments. Attitude is reflected with those comments. Coming back to say "gee, well I said it but I didn't mean it. I mean the opposite." That's twisting.

Guest DrumCorpFan
Making use of the rules in place doesn't mean you have to implement every single facet of every rule. Darren made that quite clear, esp in his followup.

Example...Crown is not singing this year. Maybe they will again, or maybe someone else will...it's legal, but it's not mandatory.

Example...BAC is not narrating...BD is. Again, it's a rule in place that provides for the option if so chosen.

Example...Coats are using amps, for this year's show...As Darren said, they may not next year. Who knows? That's the gist of what he said, IMO. Not that just because it's legal to do X that every corps has to do X every year.

You don't have to do anything to "appease" me. You and Jeff can post whatever you want. You said the person was full of lies when they accused the person who asked them to sign last year's petition of "assault and battery" (since apparently it was you!  :P  ).

Well, maybe they made that up, and maybe you and Jeff made up the comments on the div I director. Since you can't divulge the info, as far as I'm concerned it just sits there as an interesting piece of information with no verification. 

IMO that director should not be used as 'evidence' on a petition if you can't back up who it is if called on it.

However, that's just MHO too. Obviously you think otherwise...and it IS your petition.

Mike

I still believe the original comment is a Freudian slip. It reflects the real attitude. Coming back later trying to take it back doesn't quite cut it.

The fact that there are directors speaking up in private conversations, but not publicly makes me believe that

1) the money is a heavy factor.

2) the directors are afraid of certain other directors that seem to wield the power. They fear the retribution.

And he said in the same post....

Yes, it's there as an option, and yes, for their show the Coats felt they should use it.

And when accused of saying they had to use A&E, in the same thread, Darren said this...

So yes, IMO he did NOT say anything close to what you think he said.

Mike

pure doublespeak. yes you dont have to use it, but if you want to be successful, you do. he basically says it twice.

"all drum corps need to"

That's pretty cut and dry.  I repeat, "all drum corps need to"  Any comments trying to redefine that just shows it was a Fruedian Slip.  The true attitude, like Jeff Fiedler's is shown.

As far as not naming other directors who make comments privately and off the record?  I have heard similar comments as well.  Where is it written that Jeff Ream or I need to reveal who they are, putting their positions in jeopardy, just to appease you?  I won't do it without that director's permission and I doubt Jeff will either.  Would you?

until i am a reporter from Time, my sources are safe.

well, unless they die and i pull a Woodward and write a book

pure doublespeak. yes you dont have to use it, but if you want to be successful, you do. he basically says it twice.

He said that because of the show they are doing they felt they had to use it.

If they had picked a different show, or when they choose next year's show, they might not need it. Pretty clear to me.

I would guess that the availability of amps made an impact on the choices they made, another positive for amps...and it shows MORE, not LESS, creativity...IMO.

Mike

It's pretty obvious to anyone who knows Jeff Fiedler that he does NOT feel that it would be impossible for the Cavaliers to be competitive without using amplification. But by all means, keep twisting his words around. Keep lying to people. Keep distorting things. You're really good at it.

really now? then explain this

voted no...and was vocal about it....for Bb.

switched in what, 2001?

voted no to amps..and was vocal about it...then used them the first year out there.

so if he didnt feel he would be competitive without them, why did he say no and NOT stick to his no vote?