PHANTOM 2003

I thought calling Regiment's hornline overrated was a pretty unsupported argument, given that the poster saw one show from the zero yard line and declared the majority viewpoint the result of bandwagon thinking.  Be amazed if you want.

Actually I saw it multiple times live and wasn't impressed with the hornline. And I saw it on the DVD tons of times and still wasn't impressed. Maybe if people weren't hyping the #### out of them during the season I would have enjoyed it more, but they did, and I felt they didn't live up to it.

I have reasons for my opinions. And even if I didn't, it is still a valid opinion.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I thought Phantom's hornline in '03 was pretty good for a 4th-place corps, but nothing spectacular, or even very far above average. A few parts weren't balanced very well IMO, and there were some ugly individual tone quality problems that really stuck out, but some of the other parts were just plain out of tune.

I loved the music arrangements and selections though, and it is one of my favorites to watch for emotional impact of Phantom being "back" and playing some pretty excellent music to get there...it's not a show that I just listen to very often, though.

03 was my first year to march, and I didn't read any drum corps forums, reviews, or even hear anyone talk about Phantom's show until these past few months when I started reading this forum. I had no idea people loved the show as much as I do.

In other words, take the 03 Phantom bandwagon theory and shove it.

and I won't comment on the 05 Madison bandwagon #### ...or maybe I just did....

Anyways, love the show (especially that first hit!) and I think the hornline sounded fine

I have to agree that by the end of the season Phantom didn't live up to the hype. IMO, this was one of the most over-hyped shows in recent years. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the show (and still enjoy it on DVD and CD) and don't have a big issue with its placement (although I felt they should have been 5th). If one read the reviews about this show almost all the way up to championship week, a lot of people compared it to 1996 (my all time favorite Phantom show) and created an expectation that Phantom could sneek in to take 1st, or at least get very close. As much as I enjoy this show, from the first time I saw it (which was late in the season), I felt that this was a case of people getting wrapped-up in hype and their strong desire to see Phantom win another title and not a realistic assessment of the show. I enjoy the show and without a question agree that the brass caption was its strength, but I remain amazed at the elite status so many people affix to this show. It was miles away from Phantom's 1996 show.

No insult intended... I repeat... I enjoy this show, but don't worship it like (many) others.

One of the most overrated and bandwagoned hornlines of all time.

I saw them live at finals and I was sitting at about the 0 yardline. During the turnaround in Canon they were facing directly at me for about a second. I heard some of the nastiest sounds coming out of them that I have ever heard from a hornline.

And people wondered why they didn't win brass or even come close.

That's my take on it.

Dude-

You have to be kidding me, right? People DON'T wonder why they win brass or come close becuase that is not part of the criteria for being a great show or a great corps! Take a look at the other posts in this thread and how many peolpe appreciate this show and the work the kids over the summer in 2003. Go back and read the archives about how this show gave almost everyone that saw it goosebumps.

IMO there is no place for that kind of negativity in this activity. It might be your opinion, but the Golden Rule should always apply... if you don't have something nice to say... <**>

Actually I saw it multiple times live and wasn't impressed with the hornline. And I saw it on the DVD tons of times and still wasn't impressed. Maybe if people weren't hyping the #### out of them during the season I would have enjoyed it more, but they did, and I felt they didn't live up to it.

I have reasons for my opinions. And even if I didn't, it is still a valid opinion.

Its fine to have opinions, but its not always fine to share them if the intent is anything but positive. get a clue!

LOL!

OT:

Man it's nice to see Freelancers around once in a while.

Edited by ravedodger