Stagnation and DCI

A couple of thoughts:

-- It's not only staff that makes a great drum corps; it's also the performers. In this era when kids are willing to fly 2,000 miles to be a member of the Cadets, Blue Devils or Cavaliers, the cream rises to the top. Yes, the staff is a big factor, but drum corps is the ultimate free-agent market -- the most talented kids will go to the top corps. Sure there are kids who stick with a lower-ranking corps because of the atmosphere, camaraderie, etc., but I think that's becoming less and less.

-- Change will come, as you say, Nikk, and it will come from youth. Somewhere out there, possibly performing in a Division III corps, is the next Wayne Downey, the next Jeff Fiedler, the next Dave Gibbs, maybe the next Bobby Hoffman (we can only hope). But the question is, will the next wunderkind go straight to one of the top corps? Or will he/she catch lightning in a bottle and elevate an also-ran?

-- I too yearn for more variety in the top echelon. The most fascinating story in drum corps this year is not the Cavaliers on top again; it's the rise of the Madison Scouts (and further down the line, the fact that the Mandarins are very close to a finalist slot). Change comes too slowly sometimes, but in this era when stability and growth (as Nikk pointed out) are essential in drum corps, slow growth is likely the best path. I think the Bluecoats, and possibly Crown, are on that path right now. Will they ever breakthrough? I don't know.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job Nick. I enjoyed the post.

A few corrections, but nothing major. Cadets were 6th in 1991, and they won two world titles from 1997 to 2004 (1998 and 2000).

Other than that, you are right about stagnation. Things have changed so much from the 5th/6th spot all the way down to 25th. The competition is fierce at the 5 - 14 level, and to many fans this is where the real competition has been. Even though I love the Cadets, I would love to see some corps other than Cavies, Cadets and BD win a title.

I will add one thing when it comes to why these corps stay at the top. It's brand name or name recognition. Cadets, Cavies, BD, Phantom, and SCV have incredible name recognition. This certainly helps. SCV will bounce back as soon as their staff solidifies and puts in place a strategy to get them back in the top 3. Phantom is definitely in the process of challenging for this right now. I could see them winning this year. It is possible. The Canton Bluecoats have really done things the right way. I know many of the people running that organization, and they do a first-class job of managing, teaching, funding, and planning for their success and future. They have a staff that has been together for years, and it shows. That have made the right changes when necessary, but they have stuck with those who have shown their loyalty to the corps and who have a vision beyond that of just trying to make finals or trying to up their resume so they can be hired by the Cadets. It is no surprise that the Bluecoats could take 5th this year, and yet I know they would feel honored to be 6th or 7th.

Finally, it is good to see Madison back. I saw them in Wisconsin back in early July and they are for real. If the show cleans I can see them top 3 as well, but I would say Phantom has the best chance to take it all of those corps not currently in the top 3. The Cadets show is excellent, and very well performed, but will the judges take to their ideas. It's cool stuff. The Cavaliers don't have the overall GE that they usually do, but I do love their show. I have not seen BD yet so I remain silent about their chances.

Jonathan

Cadets were 6th in 1991

Ah... good to see I'm not the only one who felt compelled to point that out.

Loved that show....*

*...until the sop solos in the closer.

What do the Yankees have in common with BD, Cadets and Cavies besides titles? Money.

Money is what's necessary to maintain elite status. The Diamondbacks can beat the Yankees in the series, but they can't create a Yankee dynasty without Yankee-class funding. The same is true in drum corps.

Bluecoats, Crusaders and Glassmen have all knocked on the elite door in the past decade. To some extent at least, they couldn't enter because they can't generate the funding required of the elite. BD, Cadets and Cavies have the capacity, by virtue of their broad alumni base and successful draw, to raise more money than most. What does it take to get Bluecoats, Crusaders and Glassmen in the same category?

It's likely to my mind that the next corps to capture elite status will be the one to figure out the best way to raise funds. Talent, loyalty, commitment and all those qualities we so prize can be bought; and they are.

HH

What do the Yankees have in common with BD, Cadets and Cavies besides titles? Money.

Money is what's necessary to maintain elite status.

This, along with the staff retention Mikk talked about, is very true.

Hey Nikk, if you're still reading,I've got a question: do you remember the words to the irish jig (or drinking song) from '92? I thought about that when I was reading your post. I remember some of you guys singing it for one of the chief judges who came to practice one day. Who made that up-- you and Grant?

could it be that the corps who fall from the elite three are not necessarily having a "down" or "bad" year but the other corps are just having a "better" or on an "up" year? Maybe SCV isn't really doing that bad but the other corps are just doing so well?

Personally I would love to see corps like Madison, Coats and PR win a title every now and then. I don't like seeing the same corps at the top 3 year after year. I wish I has stayed till my age out years because I wanted to tour with more different corps for a different and more diverse experience. I tend to show more support for the 4-12 corps because I'm hoping they too will have a chance at the title. Since SS and Star isn't around anymore, Phantom and Cadets are my favs but I too would like to see another corps like Madison or Bluecoats get up there in the top 3!

Money is what's necessary to maintain elite status.

This, along with the staff retention Mikk talked about, is very true.

Hey Nikk, if you're still reading,I've got a question: do you remember the words to the irish jig (or drinking song) from '92? I thought about that when I was reading your post. I remember some of you guys singing it for one of the chief judges who came to practice one day. Who made that up-- you and Grant?

To the tune of "Irish Washerwoman"....or thereabouts...

Well, we got up at six and we practiced all day

Then we went to the show and we came in last place

Then we got on the bus, didn't get any sleep...

So we had another beer!

(Chorus)

Oh we had another beer, and we all got stinkin' drunk!

Doesn't matter what we do, 'cause we know we're going to get &*$#-ed!

So we'll drink until we puke, 'cause we're one big bloomin' corps,

And we'll have to settle for sh1te, like we did the year before.

(Chorus)

Well, we had a good show, but they opened the spread,

Then we talked to some judges who %$#@-ed with our heads

But the Cavies were #*^&-ed 'cause their semi was dead

So we had another beer....

(Chorus)

Well, the Devils don't march but they're winning GE

And Cadets show is weird, or maybe it's me...?

Star just might win 'cause they've got lots of bread (sorry guys!)

But Cavies might win 'cause they give good head! (really sorry guys!)

Well, we'll never quit trying, we'll never give up!

We've got God on our side...

(And more importantly Dan Farrell)

So just when you think that you can't take no more

Remember, you paid a thousand bucks just to march this *$%@-ing corps!

(Ok, remember....this was written in the middle of a competitive summer, so no one should take offense at what was written back then, it was all in fun).

To the tune of "Irish Washerwoman"....or thereabouts...

Well, we got up at six and we practiced all day

Then we went to the show and we came in last place

Then we got on the bus, didn't get any sleep...

So we had another beer!

(Chorus)

Oh we had another beer, and we  all got stinkin' drunk!

Doesn't matter what we do, 'cause we know  we're going to get &*$#-ed!

So we'll drink until we  puke, 'cause we're one big bloomin' corps,

And we'll have to settle for sh1te, like we did the year before.

(Chorus)

Well, we had a good show, but they opened the spread,

Then we talked to some judges who %$#@-ed with our heads

But the Cavies were #*^&-ed  'cause their semi was  dead

So we had another beer....

(Chorus)

Well, the Devils don't march but they're winning GE

And Cadets show is weird, or maybe it's me...?

Star just might win 'cause they've got lots of bread (sorry guys!)

But Cavies might win 'cause they give good head! (really sorry guys!)

Well, we'll never quit trying,  we'll never give up!

We've got God on our side...

(And  more importantly Dan Farrell)

So just when you think that you can't take  no more

Remember, you paid a thousand bucks just to march this *$%@-ing corps!

(Ok, remember....this was written in the middle of a competitive summer, so no one should take offense at what was written back then, it was all in fun).

b**bs

It's not really just a past 10 years thing though. You can look back and see just how many corps have actually won a championship.

Go ahead, look: DCI Champs

Except for the Kingsmen and Star the only ones are the corps that we still consider the top 5. There hasn't really been a change since....ever. I'm glad to see other corps jumping at the chance to win. Even more so that one of them is Bluecoats. But to be honest. I don't care who wins. I just want a good fight.

I figured a "top" corps would be scoring a little lower than they normally do this year. But I never thought it was goign to be SCV. I thought it was going to be Cadets (no offense).

So what is the point of this post?  I don't know....perhaps a warning?  Everyone wants change....until that change affects their corps.  Everyone wants new faces in the top 3/4/5....unless one of the new faces replaces your favourite corps.  It's the same everywhere...but it's coming.  The stagnation of the top 3 is coming to an end soon, perhaps not this year, but soon.  We might as well prepare for it now, and though we can be sad that our corps may be caught up in it, we can rejoice to know that motion = life, and that the activity will be enhanced because of it.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled anti-everything DCI has become rants.

And thus, ladies and gentlemen, Stefanie reverts to her girlhood dream..

When I grow up, I want to marry Nikk Pilato. (Don't worry though, you're safe. I have no current plans to ever grow up)

:worthy: I just adore you.

Stef