Drum Corps In Domes

RCA DOME SUCKS! Don't sit anywhere outside the 40.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the RCA Dome, if you are sitting between the 40s in the last few rows of the lower level, the sound is not too bad. Otherwise, it's an acoustical twilight zone. I think the closing strains of Madison's show from 2001 are still bouncing around inside there.

I've been to both RCA and the Alamodome several times and dislike the sound quality. But, what is it like for performing corps? Is there an adjustment? Does it change things?

well whatever you do...

dont watch the Jumbo Tron while you are marching, lol

as a performer I hated those sections where the drumline would play and the hornline does this backfield marching and has to turn around and do a horns up plus attack after a silent count.......well, i always counted out loud......i know that may be bando but at the time it seemed like the right thing to do cause the sound delay was terrible and if you got off slightly it would sound 10x worse in the reverb than it actually was.....

From what I hear, up by the judges (top of the first level) indy isn't too bad.  But in general I think it's awefull.  It will be nice once Indy gets their new retractable dome stadium.  That way we can have DCI outside and BOA inside and everyone's happy. :D

I live in Indy and was even in the RCA Dome today. Unfortunately, the observations about sound are correct. The state band championships are in there and I call the dome the great equalizer. The echo makes the little bands sound big and the big blasting bands turn to mush. Drum corps are ALL like big bands. The thing nobody can seem to do to prepare is back off the battery, especially bass drums. One tap sounds like thunder in there.

I've seem some details of the plans for the new Indy stadium. It'll be AWESOME for both with both retractable panels overhead and side windows to open to let the sound go somewhere. Watch Indy for 2008, it'll be ready to open.