Anti Ampers Murfreesboro Guide?

Sexyguardcap....

No Seattle review?  Tell us what you thought of their amps :)

The whole time I was writing this topic Seattle was in the back of my head. But, They are not top 8, so I bit my lip.

Seattle Cascades- Have you ever tried to make an order at a McDonalds drive thru? Well the Cascades have. Their airplane show was very enjoyable, but if your going to amp me. Amp me good. Don't hold back on the Amp power.

Edited by Sexyguardcap

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what your comment means, but it is quite apparent that this "choice" is mandatory if you want to think about winning.  All the corps recognize this.  That's why we don't have a mix of amped and unamped corps.

Heh, I'm still waiting for any kind of proof here. I suppose lack of amps is what kept Bluecoats from getting their highest placement ever last year. Or Phantom from placing top five, and with their second highest score and placement (behind 2003's juggernaut) since they won the title? Yeah, not having amps really hurt them competitively... :blink:

Oh, right, that must be why both Boston and Crown were able to outscore 'Coats and Phantom last year; because, after all, they both had the advantage of amped singing. :worthy:

I don't necessarily agree with Drumcorp(s)Fan's assessment. I think you can still be very competitive without amps like last year.

However I think one of the main reasons why you see more people moving to pit amplification is due to the fact that there are 2 percussion judges now. One on the field and one up top. Perhaps some corps feel it necessary to amp their pit so that the "upstairs judge" can fully hear all the nuances that the "onfield" judge had no trouble hearing in the past.

Of course that's just my 2 cents and I may be way off.

I don't necessarily agree with Drumcorp(s)Fan's assessment.  I think you can still be very competitive without amps like last year. 

However I think one of the main reasons why you see more people moving to pit amplification is due to the fact that there are 2 percussion judges now.  One on the field and one up top.  Perhaps some corps feel it necessary to amp their pit so that the "upstairs judge" can fully hear all the nuances that the "onfield" judge had no trouble hearing in the past. 

Sometimes If the thread goes long enough, You just may learn something and gain a new perspective. Thanks.

One of the drum judges in San Antonio was trying to tell me the same thing. That drum corps voted to use amps when DCI added a drum judge in the box. Not because George Hopkins. He said That's why Hopkins was voted down so many times. Because it wasn't practical. With a judge in the box, it is.

I don't know if this was his opinion or DCI fact. I should have asked.

Edited by Sexyguardcap

I'm not sure what your comment means, but it is quite apparent that this "choice" is mandatory if you want to think about winning.  All the corps recognize this.  That's why we don't have a mix of amped and unamped corps.

They may also be thinking..."gee it makes us sound better".

Mike

Guest DrumCorpFan
Heh, I'm still waiting for any kind of proof here.  I suppose lack of amps is what kept Bluecoats from getting their highest placement ever last year.  Or Phantom from placing top five, and with their second highest score and placement (behind 2003's juggernaut) since they won the title?  Yeah, not having amps really hurt them competitively...    :beer: 

Oh, right, that must be why both Boston and Crown were able to outscore 'Coats and Phantom last year; because, after all, they both had the advantage of amped singing.  :beer:

Proof? How about every major corps is using amps. That's my proof. If it were just a creative choice, then there would be a mix of amped and unamped corps from top to bottom. This is not the case. Hopkins' vision is that all corps would be using amps comfortably in three years. Partly into the 2nd year, that vision is nearly complete. You can bury your head in the sand, or you can look around and see the truth that is right in front of you.

Guest DrumCorpFan
I don't necessarily agree with Drumcorp(s)Fan's assessment.  I think you can still be very competitive without amps like last year. 

However I think one of the main reasons why you see more people moving to pit amplification is due to the fact that there are 2 percussion judges now.  One on the field and one up top.  Perhaps some corps feel it necessary to amp their pit so that the "upstairs judge" can fully hear all the nuances that the "onfield" judge had no trouble hearing in the past. 

Well, you may not have meant to, but you bolster my argument that amps are necessary to maximize the score from the 2nd, upstairs judge. All major corps are amped. There's a reason for that.

Guest DrumCorpFan
Sometimes If the thread goes long enough, You just may learn something and gain a new perspective. Thanks.

One of the drum judges in San Antonio was trying to tell me the same thing. That drum corps voted to use amps when DCI added a drum judge in the box. Not because George Hopkins. He said That's why Hopkins was voted down so many times. Because it wasn't practical. With a judge in the box, it is.

I don't know if this was his opinion or DCI fact. I should have asked.

Ah so, which really did come first, the chicken or the egg. Perhaps the addition of the judge was a means to an end of getting amps approved. I wonder... :beer::beer:

Guest DrumCorpFan
They may also be thinking..."gee it makes us sound better".

Mike

And if the thinking is that they make corps sound better, then they become necessary in order to win, or, at the very least, to increase their chances of winning.

Wow, that's two people who have bolstered my position without even meaning to. B)

Edited by DrumCorpFan