Will BD fall from the top 3?

Will the Blue Devils fall out of the top 3 at finals?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Blue Devils fall out of the top 3 at finals?

• Yes
    • No

There is an interesting conversation going on about BD and whether they are destined to be the next great giant to take a tumble. After seeing their show I think it is definantly top 6 material but not top 3. In fact if i were a judge they would be 6th. The question that should be asked is whether or not DCI would allow BD to fall to 5th or 6th or even 7th? As was said by another person, BD has been the rock of consistency in the past so, is reputation enough to keep them among the elite or are they going to make a large scale tumble at the championships?

Wes Perkins

BK lead Sop '97 '98

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Blue Devils will end up 4th, probably behind Phantom (although I want to see the Scouts up there!).

I will also say this off-topic, lookout DCI -- SCV will end up in 7th, not 9th or 10th. This show is too powerful ;)

I think BD will fall to Scouts, PR, or Crown/Bluecoats...(ehhh maybe not them yet).

I think it is really going to be a dogfight between Scouts and PR though!

Dave Gibbs has posted a letter on the BD Forum stating they are making changes to the show to improve the effect and technical aspects.

My gut reaction is to say they will not fall out of the top 3 this year. It may happen later down the road (it IS possible), but this is also a corps that has not been out of the top 3 in 24 of the 32 years since they started in DCI, including 11 years straight.

I think that the closest they came in the last few years was 2002. They placed 3rd in quarterfinals, less than one point ahead of SCV. At one point they were only about 2 tenths ahead of SCV at certain points. They ended up 2nd overall because they adapted their show properly.

They won't fall out of the top three. The show can only get better and I'm getting chills just thinking about what changes they can make to the show!

I refer you to The Blue Devils 2005 Repetoire.......

Musical Selections for the Marathoners include.... But not limited to:

Redline Tango - by John Mackey

Brother Can You Spare A Dime - by Jay Gorney and EY Harburg

Prelude, Fugue & Riffs - by Leonard Bernstein

On The Town - by Leonard Bernstein

In Wartime - by David Del

AND .. a variety of dance music

I wouldn't be surprised if the show went on until DCI Staff had to physically remove The Blue Devils from the field :)

I refer you to The Blue Devils 2005 Repetoire.......

Musical Selections for the Marathoners include.... But not limited to:

Redline Tango - by John Mackey

Brother Can You Spare A Dime - by Jay Gorney and EY Harburg

Prelude, Fugue & Riffs - by Leonard Bernstein

On The Town - by Leonard Bernstein

In Wartime - by David Del

AND .. a variety of dance music

A whole ten seconds of each one! :P

There is an interesting conversation going on about BD and whether they are destined to be the next great giant to take a tumble. After seeing their show I think it is definantly top 6 material but not top 3. In fact if i were a judge they would be 6th. The question that should be asked is whether or not DCI would allow BD to fall to 5th or 6th or even 7th? As was said by another person, BD has been the rock of consistency in the past so, is reputation enough to keep them among the elite or are they going to make a large scale tumble at the championships?

Wes Perkins

BK lead Sop '97 '98

Well, first off, no, you arent a judge, how you rate them is as important or as throwaway as how I rate them. To already label them a bottom of the top six corps and continue to refer to them as that is fiction.

And what does "DCI allowing them" to fall mean anyway ??

Why do yo think that suddenly they arent the "rock of consisitency" or that their numbers mean a fall is in progress ??

And quite frankly for you to make a claim that their "reputation" keep them at the top is gorss misunderstanding of how competition works. You are good, you score well, you are not so good , you dont score as well...for any corps....judges dont mark reputation, they rate performance.

~G~

This doesn't seem to be a good year, competitively, for the West :(

Mandarins seem to be doing the best out of the 8 (?) Div. I corps from the West.