Changing of the guard

Just wondering who was the first corps to start using both males and females in their colorguard? What year did most of the corps follow? And was just wondering how the audiences reacted-was it kind of like the amp/narration/singing/key change debates, or was it just kind of accepted?

If I can take a crack at this:

Freelancers 1981 (1981 Bridgemen added a male guest to their guard aka TONY)

Spirit 1982

Skyryders 1982

Suncoast 1983

No big fanfare with co-ed guards...

what DID rock the house was when BD 1981 changed the face of uniforms and wore a costume.... They were the talk of the season changing what a guard could look like. Opened the doors!

edit BD to 1981.

Edited by Cop

Actually, I know that Northstar was coed in the late 70's (I believe it was '79)...I remember reading about it in an old DCI Yearbook.

anyone remember alliance (of MA, i believe)? they had a guard uniform in '81 that featured this HUGE snow white collar type thing, long tails (like a dress, from the back) and spandex leggings. there was actually a guy wearing that uniform, and as a youngster (17 at that time) it creeped me out!

Ü

jan

Edited by skywnch320970

LOL< Marc and Jan posted exactly what I was gonna say. First, North star in 79, Joey P. Was in that guard and he taught us at Cranford Patriots.

Second, Jan, I remember We were on full retreat with Alliance in 1981 at the VFW Nationals in Philly...I understand he marched in 1980 also in that weird costume.

And Cop, yes that was very controversial when 81 BD came out in those "jazz suits" ........

~G~

LOL< Marc and Jan posted exactly what I was gonna say. First, North star in 79, Joey P. Was in that guard and he taught us at Cranford Patriots.

Second, Jan, I remember We were on full retreat with Alliance in 1981 at the VFW Nationals in Philly...I understand he marched in 1980 also in that weird costume.

And Cop, yes that was very controversial when 81 BD came out in those "jazz suits" ........

~G~

A guy by the name of Greg Horne marched North Star 1978.He only marched behind the drum line I believe.