Indianapolis Night show (SCORES)

Whadda manueva!

Congrats to the the Cadets and their staff. Haven't seen the entire show yet (just video snippets on Season Pass), but am listening to it wuite a bit. Can't wait to see it in Foxboro!!!

Cheers,

Bob

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how I can't say it....but it was perfectly fine for Gail Royer to run around sporting a "Anybody but BD" button....

hypocrites

If I'd been around when he was wearing it, I would have pointed out that THAT was pretty "classy," too. And please don't misunderstand me, I LOVED Gail Royer but I've had told him the same thing to his face.

Plus, you, sir, are no Gail Royer.

Hypocrite? Hardly. It's classless no matter who says it about whom. I feel the exact same way about it when it's used in a political context, too.

Classless.

Rude.

Pathetic.

Them's the breaks.

Stef

A little humor is a good thing. . .

"Anyone but BD". . . "Anyone but Cavies". . . how about the year that Garfield Cadets (Bergen County) was selling "Anyone but Garfield" shirts?

LOL

Unless you understood the relationship between GR and the Blue Devil guys. . . you wouldn't get the humor.

Once a person rises above petty competition, and truly start to enjoy the personalities and unique qualities of the individuals involved in Drum Corps. . . one sees all this for what it is. . . just a way to have a little more fun.

No one gets hurt, except those who don't understand and get defensive right away. Those are the ones who need the wakeup call the most. . .

Keep up the good humor! Anyone but ". . . . . . ". . . .

^0^

You go Cadets, Boston and Foxboro are very ready for you!!

Plus, you, sir, are no Gail Royer.

Hypocrite?  Hardly.  It's classless no matter who says it about whom.  I feel the exact same way about it when it's used in a political context, too. 

Classless.

Rude.

Pathetic.

Them's the breaks.

Laying it on a little thick, aren't you? I'm not sure I enjoy reading the "pathetic, classless, rude" retorts anymore than I like reading the "anyone but the cavies" comment. But I'm pretty sure neither side is offering anything to this thread. At least the "anyone but" had historical precedent.

Also, nobody on here is a Gail Royer. What's your point?

A little humor is a good thing. . .

"Anyone but BD". . . "Anyone but Cavies". . . how about the year that Garfield Cadets (Bergen County) was selling "Anyone but Garfield" shirts?

LOL

Unless you understood the relationship between GR and the Blue Devil guys. . . you wouldn't get the humor.

Once a person rises above petty competition, and truly start to enjoy the personalities and unique qualities of the individuals involved in Drum Corps. . . one sees all this for what it is. . . just a way to have a little more fun.

No one gets hurt, except those who don't understand and get defensive right away.  Those are the ones who need the wakeup call the most. . . 

Amen and amen, Chuck! People definitely need to lighten up. It is a competitive activity, after all, and we're allowed to have favorites if we want to and we're even allowed to root against a particular corps if they happen not to be our favorite. Or even if we just want to see a different set of corps in the top 3 for a change. I've seen a lot of rude and offensive comments directed at one corps or another in my day, and "Anyone but (corps X)" hardly even comes close.

You and I are usually on the same side, Stef, but I think you're taking the "anyone but ..." comment way too seriously. Would you get this offended by a baseball fan saying, "Anyone but the Yankees?"

Well, to get back on track...

Just woke up this morning after attending the show last night. Scores were quite a treat, I'm glad I convinced my date that we needed to stay and hear them. Some quick thoughts before I decide whether or not to write a review (my review last year was nine single-spaced pages long, in MS Word :o)

Spirit - probably the biggest impression I have of them was how powerful their hornline was. I wasn't expecting that from a 12th place corps, but I was pleasantly surprised. Goes to show you the depth of 2005. Though, I have to say, I don't remember much of anything about their show, apart from when they switched the delta on their uniform over from silver to green.

Glassmen - Music was familiar, but different. Best part was undoubtedly the last movement, when they really brought some energy. Before then it was take it or leave it stuff that you would expect from a corps in their tier.

Blue Knights - I always love the music these guys play, and this year was no different. Still giving us that dark music, but also with seemingly better balanced amps than last year. I'm pretty sure I heard some Trittico, too.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Lots to say here. First, the uniforms just don't work. Green hat, red jacket, white pants? Ugh. One of two corps that I had heard from their San Antonio show. I like the Shostakovich, but there's just no contrast there. It's six minutes or so of the same idea, pounded over and over. And some will point to RCM as providing that contrast, but by then it might as well be a different show. This could have been so much more if they had been able to take us somewhere with the Shostakovich, and if they had been able to create a much better transition to RCM and made it relate to the rest of the show. Quite simply, there's nothing here we haven't seen before, even from shows that don't go to Murfreesboro. Was quite surprised to see them so close to Boston.

Boston Crusaders - They stopped trying to give us a message, and started just having fun, like when they were the darlings of 2000. Sing, Sang, Sung was the highlight, easily recognizable as a Gordon Goodwin piece. Could have used a little more Ode to Joy moments, but I was spoiled by Cavaliers '99

Carolina Crown - Just saw Consantine the other night, so I laughed when I saw the "battle". Great hornline! HUGE sound, played pretty well. Wasn't as impressed with Angel as some, but then that's probably just because I didn't like the original. I thought they were clearly better than the two corps in their range (SCV, BAC)

Bluecoats - one of my favorites of the night. Top Six all had a presence to them that set them apart. Not sure I liked the Ombra intro, and the section itself could have worked better. Only other disappointment was that Hajj seems to be missing something as the closer. There's energy there, but not enough to climax the show. "drum speak" section was great.

Madison Scouts - Other than the fact that you can't perform Carmen without having a Carmen on the field, I'm not sure she added much. The show would have benefitted significantly if she had been giving more actual work, instead of running around and shaking her "goods". I liked what the rest of the corps was doing, familiar music with a twist. That ending definitely works for me, too, though I hear it wasn't the soft ending.

Blue Devils - Simply not a good vehicle. There's no point where you say to yourself "ah, that's BD" until maybe two-thirds into the show. Some absolutely incredible soloists/screamers this year, though seemingly not as many as last year. Not sure why they start at the end and work backwards to the beginning, it makes for a confusing ending and essentially ruins the story-telling ability of the show. It just doesn't work. Besides the screamers and a few flashes of tango music, there's just not much here, and I would be saying that narrator or no.

Phantom Regiment - Definitely a fun show, and probably the crowd favorite. Makes sense, because it's music everyone knows, arranged to be competitive, but yet absolutely recognizable. Totally loved Gene Kelly working the mute on the soloist early on. Can't wait to get a recording of this Great show, and totally deserving of third

Cavaliers - Nothing grabs you right away, but then you realize that they never stop moving! No corps moved as much as they did, no real spectacular drill movments (like last year's collapsing triangle), just constant motion and energy. Hitting the home run got the single greatest crowd response of the night. Needs some more "umpgh" somewhere, possibly in the opener or very end, but man were they on tonight. I predicted Cadets would pass them, but I don't know if it should have been tonight.

Cadets - Thank you. Thank you for taking a chance. Thank you for giving us something new, something to think about, and something to appreciate. I seldom say this about the Cadets, 2000 and maybe the following year are really the only shows of theirs I like. But I can add 2005 to that list. Really great music, with some really great effects. I especially liked the intro to Dancer in the Dark, they nailed it. I actually wanted a little more Medea, too, along with more Twilight Zone. This will be another show that I listen to for a long time.

Well, there you have it. It's a two-horse race, and deservedly so. Either corps would be more than justified with taking the title. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out, but I really can't wait to get the recordings. Talk about a very fun year!

you can't perform Carmen without having a Carmen on the field

Why ever not? - :worthy: - They performed the music from "Jesus Christ Superstar" without having Jesus on the field ... or even Mary Magdalene.

Nice brief review, BTW.

Edited by Orpheus