Star 1993- Utter Crap or Musical Masterpiece?

What are your feelings on the music of Star's 1993 show?  

234 members have voted

1. 1. What are your feelings on the music of Star's 1993 show?

• It's some of the best to be put on the field
    • It's average
    • It's horrible

I must admit, when I first saw the show at DCI Semifinals, I didn't care much for it. The first seven minutes or so seemed all slow and soft - not your typical drum corps show. I hate it when a corps teases you - you think they are going to blow your face off, and they don't. Later, after seeing the show on video and listening to the CDs, I realized just how incredible this show was. It was so far ahead of its time. Just think, that show was 12 years ago now, was performed totally with 2-valve G bugles, had a minimal pit by today's standards, unamplified, etc. And the drum corps activity STILL has not caught up with that show! :blink: It was from the year 2020 or something. I thinks it's ironic that Cadets will likely win DCI this year playing Medea, even though their show, IMO, can't touch Star '93.

I was fortunate to see Brass Theater the following year in Worchester, MA during Championship week. Talk about incredible! As good as BD was in 1994, if Star had stayed in DCI, they would have been the best again that year.

Isn't it amazing that we're still talking about this corps and this show after all this time?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Star compete at 1993 DCM I&E?  I don't recall any Star performers in the Baritone caption.  Perhaps they just didn't have any bari players enter.

in 93, I believe we had a snare and a mixed brass ensemble at I+E.

Not sure where the snare placed, but the brass ensemble won DCM I+E and we went on to score a 100.0 (seriously) at DCI World Champioships I+E at Jackson.

:)

"I did know people who marched Star of Indiana. Note the quotations... "spolied rich kids". It's not a knock on the marching members. But you were the rich kids of the activity in that you had access to the finest equipment, instruction, vehicles, housing, etc... You were the only corporate-sponsored drum corps back then. This is the image that Star of Indiana had in the minds of many (not all) members of other corps and fans. This is not a description of the general population of Star's members during the era."

Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Remember the ropes on the contras for the Roman Images show in 91?

Thats wasn't for show. That was holding the contras together!

Dude, those horns were OLD.

It was the brass technique that was gold.

word.

If you guys read the rest of that quote you're slamming, you'll notice that the person is not of the opinion you're accusing him of having. Oops. :P

Over the years, I've heard dozens of negative comments about Star 93 (I've even uttered a few of them myself), but I've never heard anyone say they were'nt good. In terms of talent, they were amazing. My problem was that I was bored with them. To me, it seemed that their talent was wasted. They were just over my head, I guess.

I am personally not into shows when I have to convince myself to like them--it feels too much like the "Emperors Clothes" parable. I mean, if it's entertaining, I'll realize it the first time, won't I?

The show was truly ahead of its time. It was booed in its day, but today it is celebrated. I think this show is the best example of how the activity has changed. Corp fans used to demand "stupider" shows--now days most shows are designed for drum corps experts. Personally, I miss the days of the stupid shows because frankly, I'm not that smart! :)

This show is just way ahead of its time. I would agree with one of th eposters above, it is form 2020, or even more in the future. This at the time, or even now is still pushing the boundrys of what drum corps is. And if for nothing else, they were loud. First time i hear that park and blow (i'm only 19 so it was on a cd player) i almost fainted with how loud and clean it was. I know the shhow has had an impact on me, and on my generation of writers, or the soon to come generation of writers. I think your going to see a lot of shows trying to match this one with in the next few years. Beyond a musical masterpice, this show is somthing that will mold drum corps for at least the next 20-30 years.

Shame, shame, shame on the Star of Indiana kids for joining an organization that was being run like a business and a model for other corps to follow if they so desired.

I once attended a mini go kart grand prix (the concept started by Bluecoats) that was staged in the community to raise money for the corps. Members were working the refreshment stand and the race itself. The corps had been self-sufficient and had to raise its own money like everyone else. I found that enlightening as I was unaware the kids had to work like other kids in other corps to raise money.

The bus company set up to support the corps was a model that other corps have since adapted for their own benefit. Still, the corps had to reserve the buses when they needed them. But the corps once again provided a model for other corps to utilize and many have done just that.

As for the finest housing comment, I had visited enough corps housing sites to know that their high schools did not have Van Gogh's on the walls and were the same as anyone else's housing, with floors that were hard and showers that were sometimes cold.

As for being "rich kids" because "you had access to the finest equipment, instruction,..." they played the same bugles many other corps played and their drums were also the same as others. They weren't gold plated and they had a staff member (Eric for those who remember him) that had a set of tools to keep things working. And some corps today have some pretty good instructors. Are Cadets "rich kids" because they have Marc Sylvester and a host of great instructors or Cavaliers "rich kids" because they have a staff that has stayed together for a long time and is the envy of any corps or Blue Devils because they have Wayne Downey and other great staff members? Star's instructors weren't paid in gold boullion just to come teach the corps.

I remember the jealousy the corps experienced amidst some other corps and corps fans. One thing in particular I remember was hearing how expensive the golden chalices were that were used in the "Balshazzar's Feast" show in 1990. I found the head guard instructor and asked him about the rumor I had heard (from multiple sources). He began laughing as he explained that the chalices were two different sized styrofoam planting containers from Kmart, attached bottom-to-bottom to one another and covered in gold contact paper. Total cost - $7.00 each, making them one of the least expensive guard effects that year. But to many others, they were expensive custom-made chalices imported from Germany.

<<I did know people who marched Star of Indiana.  Note the quotations... "spolied rich kids".  It's not a knock on the marching members.>>

It isn't? Thanks for a good laugh, then.

<<This is the image that Star of Indiana had in the minds of many (not all) members of other corps and fans.>>

In that, you are unfortunately correct. And the image was wrong.

Unfortunately, many corps did not learn from the examples Star offered. That is too bad. But the corps' influence on how corps are run did enter the business models of many other corps. That is good.

Pardon me for coming down hard on you, but when I read anything about Star of Indiana that contradicts what I personally witnessed, I feel I must set the record straight or suffer in the silence that I could have done so, but didn't.

I miss Star, but I'm comforted in the knowledge that much of what the management, staff and kids accomplished is with us today in ways we'll never realize through the corps that observed them and learned from them.

Mike

It's ok, it's ok... thanks for setting me and anyone else who reads this straight. I originally brought up the whole corporate sponsored issue because I believe it was this issue that made people dislike Star so much, even before 1993. Yes, jealousy was a big part of that. But it was one of the contributing factors to them being booed all year in 1993 (and we can agree that they were booed, right?)

It's ok, it's ok... thanks for setting me and anyone else who reads this straight.  I originally brought up the whole corporate sponsored issue because I believe it was this issue that made people dislike Star so much, even before 1993.  Yes, jealousy was a big part of that.  But it was one of the contributing factors to them being booed all year in 1993 (and we can agree that they were booed, right?)

They were booed so bad that at Preview of Champions in Yspsilanti, Michigan, when they were announced as winning and many members of audience booed, the announcer even proclaimed, "That is uncalled for."

I don't think they were booed because they had corporate sponsorship. I think they were booed because of misconceptions and the fact that they were successful, and for the fact that those who were booing were idiots, something I would say to their faces today if they still held the same opinion. But I trust that time and rationale thought has engaged them to regret their prior actions, and if so, I forgive them as should everyone else (in my opinion).

My major regret over the Star model is that we didn't get any other corporate sponsored corps out of it. I was really hoping other business people would notice and would get bitten by the bug. And being that they didn't, I guess that makes Bill Cook all the more special and unique.

Mike

As a guard person, my problem with Stars shows were always that the guard was "less than stellar". '91 & '92 were especially bad - and I just can't enjoy a show (no matter how great it is musically) if the guard just ain't doing it for me.

1993 - changed all of that. Holy crap - that was without a doubt one of the most musical interpretations I have ever seen from a guard. The double stick work alone was phenomenal, and the flag work was out of this world - add that to the fact that the only costuming they had was a simple black unitard - and its just beyond belief!!!

I can't even imagine being handed a copy of the music for that show and having to write guard work to it. Simply incredible!!!!!!!!

Later,

Mike