Kiss my support goodbye II

All these rants and complaints about modern drum corps tick me off to no end, but I almost never reply to it, because most people never bring the members into it. But when this girl who never marched drum corps challenged the dedication, pride, musicianship, and even discipline of the members, I finally snapped. I don't know what's worse: getting that from a 70s alum who thinks he's better than me, or getting that from somebody who never marched in the first place. Either way it's incredibly insulting.

I still maintain that SHAME ON YOU to AnaheimAlumni (the one who posted this girl's thread here). If you wanted to display your displeasure for the direction of DCI, you could have posted something with less rediculous fallacies in it. OR certainly something that didn't insult the performers. Were you just trying to throw gasoline on the fire?

You know what would really add validity to those comments of the original poster? Let's hear somebody that marched 2000 to present day agree with what she said. Then I'll be impressed.

I received a warning for name calling. Fair enough, I broke the rules. I had a few beers in me and didn't know when to shut up. But that original post was a personal attack too. It didn't have any official name calling in it, so it was within the rules, but don't be surprised at me or anyone else getting riled up by it.

And about my controversal reply: You and I both recognize that I was not using the most diplomatic method of displaying my feelings on the matter, but try and look past the 'idiot and moron' words and see what I was saying (yes felixh, I know you didn't like that, you mentioned it 20 times)! I mean, come on!! She was criticizing corps for making souvaniers a huge priority!! You have to realize how rediculous that is. Souvaniers are not for making people rich, they are for keeping the corps on the road. Many corps would fold without that much needed income. And money issues aside, it's fun for the fans! How many people here don't like browsing the souvie trailors after the show?

Oh, and one final message to those who opposed me on this thread. I'm not as different from you as you may think. I signed that petition in Denver.... :blink:

Edited by ekleve

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not meant to be a criticism or a challenge - merely an observation.  With all due respect, I'm missing the "thousands" of "OLD TIMERS" "on here" (DCP). What I personally observe is  a very vocal, but relatively small group of maybe 12-15(at best) posters who may identify with this group in the context you seem to mean.

Chronologically, I think I qualify as an "OLD TIMER" (50 years old with 36 years invested in the activity), but that's where my identification with the group you refer to ends, I think.  I lived and have very fond memories of drum corps of the 70's (and 80's, and 90's), but I love the exellence and creativity of the corps of today.

Junior corps belongs, as it should, to each successive generation of members and staff to interpret as is relevant to them personally.  Our job as alumni and fans, IMHO, is to support the efforts of the current generation and provide them the same opportunities to mold and interpret the activity as we were allowed in our day.

Thank you for reading and allowing me to express my very personal thoughts on this topic! :ramd: /off

I've never used this smilie before, but the above warrents it....

:blink::beer::beer:

Mike

That's profound. I think I mostly agree.

I wonder, though, if there is any sense in which the current generation is entrusted with an activity which has been cared for and passed down by those who came before them? If so, that may put some limits on what the current generation ought to do with the activity.

IMO....

Yes, the current generation should make sure that

...as admins and staff they provide the very best experience they can for their members and audience.

...as members they try to absorb the wonderful experiences they get as a member of a very special group of people, both musical and "life".

Mike

This activity is not up to the folks today to interpret the activity as they feel it should be. They should be basing the activity on the activity's founding roots, which in this case, is a strong military background. That is what defines this activity. Yes, the activity, no doubt evolves. But, the base or foundation should always be the same constant.

Corps were dispensing with the military side of things even before DCI started.

Yes, my corps still did a color pre in 1970...but we also formed a Peace Sign while playing Jefferson Airplane's (pre-Starship!) "White Rabbit".

And...many corps back did bogus color pres...using pseudo-American flags to avoid any chance of flag violation penaltie.

Mike

I can't speak for others,  but "tympani carrying  " (as your example  cited  )was one of those  " innovative  " experiments that were once tried by Drum Corps that had much support at the time, but in hindsight as you correctly pointed out is  now generally seen to have been a failed experiment.

Actually, the timpani example is a prime piece of the evidence that drum corps has evolved over time...

In the 60's, corps laid basses on their sides, took off the bottom head, attached them together as double or triple bases....to emulate a timpani sound....

Then marching timps were introduced to REALLY create the timpani sound...

Eventually they were grounded and the idea of the pit was introduced.

This all took a number of years...evolution.

Mike

Actually, the timpani example is a prime piece of the evidence that drum corps has evolved over time...

In the 60's, corps laid basses on their sides, took off the bottom head, attached them together as double or triple bases....to emulate a timpani sound....

Then marching timps were introduced to REALLY create the timpani sound...

Eventually they were grounded and the idea of the pit was introduced.

This all took a number of years...evolution.

Mike

And the people playing these beasts started walking upright......

Guess it does really sound like evolution :P