Kiss my support goodbye II

If you dont like drum corps, leave... just dont make a production of it.   With the new fans that are coming in (thanks ESPN2!) the new fans wont care what happened in 1982. Actually, they will tend to like the new progressive movement.

Elmo Blatch

Mr. ELMO:

I find you statement troubling.

You seem to think that you speak for the new fans of drum corps...

You think that with the new fans that ESPN2 will (hopefully) bring in, will make up for the "OLD TIMERS" that may leave drum corps due to the "progressive movement"!!

You seem to think that we as "OLD TIMERS" don't care about what happens in today's drum corps, well if we didn't care, we wouldn't be on here in the thousands.

It's because of the blood, sweat and tears that we spilled, that we are still around.

There is a saying that a lot of Americans have adopted "America, Love It or Leave It", I don't see a whole lot of people leaving so don't expect a lot of "OLD TIMERS" to leave drum corps!!

Edited by ODBC

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely wish that those who no longer wish to support the drum and bugle corps activitiy would send their complaints and "resignation letters" to DCI - and LEAVE THIS FORUM FOR THOSE WHO DO SUPPORT DRUM CORPS AND ALL THE FOLKS THAT WORK VERY HARD TO BRING US ENTERTAINMENT.

To the operators of this forum: PLEASE START BANNING PEOPLE LIKE THIS - THEY RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US AND ARE DESTRUCTIVE TO THE ACTIVITY.

Wow! Guess you haven't been over to the political forum yet.

Besides, you'll notice the site is called "Drum Corps Planet" not "Drum Corps For Fans Of Today's Drum Corps. If You're An Old Fart And Don't Like Amps Or Mic'd Voices Stay Out Planet"

Mike, you routinely make sweeping generalizations of the marching music activities extending back into the '40s and '50s, despite your not having seen a show prior to 1964.  Why is it OK for you, but not for her?

Really? Where?

I may talk about legal horns, drums, and the like...but not about intangibles as this person does.

Mike

Well, the initial poster said..."There's no emphasis on pride, dedication, or musicianship." Do you believe that to be true of today's drum corps?

Mike

Absolutely not! Drum corps would become a different animal without these basic ingredients,...however, that is not all the original post was saying....those comments were probably done out of the heat of the moment, and unfortunately, as BlueDevilLegend put it "blew credibility out the window"....unfortunate as that may sound, I agree with everything else she wrote and stand by her right to offer her opinion on DCP. But to refer to her as an "idiot" and "moron" to me is totally uncalled for...she is just as welcome on this site as anyone! B)

No pride?  No dedication?  No MUSICIANSHIP?????  Are you completely OUT OF YOUR MIND???? 

(snip rant)

Amazing, the mileage we can get from a little misquoting. The original post never said these things were not present; only that they weren't emphasized. See for yourselves:

"There's no emphasis on pride, dedication, or musicianship."

Now, you may still disagree (as I do), but this isn't worthy of vitriolic responses.

No reason to get this upset by the 22 year-old's opinion. He's perfectly entitled to say that drum corps doesn't emphasize blah blah blah. We all know he couldn't possible know what individual drum corps emphasize, nor could he know what motivates people to march, so disregard his opinion as vaporous, and move on. Same with most of his other complaints. I will weep for drum corps' loss of such a terrific fan, but I think I'll get over it...eventually.

Personally, I can't wait to go see all those kids who choose to march in corps with no emphasis on pride, dedication, or musicianship.

Absolutely not! Drum corps would become a different animal without these basic ingredients,...however, that is not all the original post was saying....those comments were probably done out of the heat of the moment, and unfortunately, as BlueDevilLegend put it "blew credibility out the window"....unfortunate as that may sound, I agree with everything else she wrote and stand by her right to offer her opinion on DCP. But to refer to her as an "idiot" and "moron" to me is totally uncalled for...she is just as welcome on this site as anyone! B)

It's odd...the gal who wrote this doesn't even post here...it was copied and pasted from another site. However, if she DID post here, of course it is her right...and anyone elses to call her on it if they disagree.

Personally, I disagree with just about every word she wrote.

Mike

You make generalizations about the direction the activity has moved in, and the motivation behind each change - intangibles.

Those are, IMO, factual. Adding valves and horn types and percussion instruments that come closer to the band idiom is, IMO, a fact, not an opinion.

Mike