Kiss my support goodbye II

Guest DrumCorpFan
Well, the initial poster said..."There's no emphasis on pride, dedication, or musicianship." Do you believe that to be true of today's drum corps?

Mike

I don't believe it's true, there's plenty of pride, deidication and musicianship. These kids take what they do very seriously, as I did when I marched. When I was going around with the petition in Denver last year, I approached corps members. It didn't matter if they were for or against, if their corps was amped or not, they all had pride and dedication to what they did. That's musicianship, is it not?

Holy buckets, this is the first time I have agreed with MikeD in months. I need a drink. :beer:

Heck, I'll buy you one as well. :blink:

Edited by DrumCorpFan

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DrumCorpFan
Well, you're only slightly right on this one. You may want to go check out the I&E competition this year. It's only a matter of time and proposal after proposal until it's allowed on the field.

Didn't they cancel an I&E because of lack of interest? :beer::blink:

Guest DrumCorpFan
There is a  saying that a  lot of Americans have adopted "America, Love It or Leave It", I don't see a whole lot of people leaving so don't expect a lot of "OLD TIMERS" to leave drum corps!!

That saying has been changed...

DCI, love it or leave it.

I am just saying that you can not get me to watch drum corps shows from the 70s. Listen to them, perhaps, and I marched 15 years ago. It is painful enough for me to watch the shows that I marched, let alone other corps from 15 years prior to mine.

Kids that are marching today "respect" shows from the 80s, but do you honestly think they sit down and watch DVDs from 1982 or do you think they would rather watch Phantom 2003?

I liked Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory much better than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Which one will kids like better? What do you think? I like Episode 5 better than Episode 3, but todays kids (for the overwhelming majority) are going to pick whats new.

If you are a NASCAR fan, do you want to watch an old reel to reel recording of Cale Yarborough driving in the 1977 Taladega race (don't know, don't care) or would you rather watch someone like Rusty Wallace race his new Dodge Charger in the 2005 Daytona race?

Elmo Blatch

These are bad comparisons. How about comparing music today to that of the 70's. I prefer the classic rock over today's garbage anyday. I know that a good majority feel the same (don't include the disco though).

No matter if you are a dinosaur or newbie, there is no question that much tradition has been lost in today's drum corps shows. Here is a list, which can and should still exist in today's drum corps shows:

1. An honor guard ( I went to 2 shows this year and no stars and stripes anywhere...not even on the flag pole when the Star Spangled Banner was played on tape). Dream, Sr. had an honor guard.

2. Full retreat

3. Full pass and review (marching with drum candences)

These are bad comparisons. How about comparing music today to that of the 70's. I prefer the classic rock over today's garbage anyday. I know that a good majority feel the same (don't include the disco though).

If only you could see that you just summed up what MikeD and other (including me) have been saying to the anti-amp crowd for about a year now. :P

How is it more like marching band now anymore than it was when you were marching?  In the 70's, my highschool band was doing the exact same thing drum corps were doing at the time...high mark time, snappy turns, laser eyes front at all times, squads, swinging gates, straight lines, etc  and they sounded better and were louder than drum corps because they had better equipment and 300 plus members....They were doing concerts on a regular basis with Doc Severenson. 

Does that mean that drum corps in the 70's was like band?

My point is, just because a band is emulating/copying drum corps doesn't mean drum corps is like band.  It means band is like drum corps.

Edit:  I'm not arguing with you that things have changed.  I just think the band analogy is not an accurate portrayal of the point you're trying to make.  I do understand the desire to differentiate drum corps from band (and all of the negative connatations that word carries...as past members of drum corps we both know how much energy was spent trying to make that distinction).

I think you missed the whole point. Which that point is tradition. Drum corps's roots are a very strong and dominant military background. Most of that military tradition is lost in today's activity.

That's profound. I think I mostly agree.

I wonder, though, if there is any sense in which the current generation is entrusted with an activity which has been cared for and passed down by those who came before them? If so, that may put some limits on what the current generation ought to do with the activity.

Is there anyone who cares to address Mr. Maher's comment on the inherited trust to keep the activity within some distance of that which was handed down? It's an intriguing proposition that today's drum corps leaders might not have carte blanche to “evolve” the activity. Edited by The Oz

We have a winner!

Elmo Blatch

You are probably one of those who believes in a living Constitution, as well. I bet the Constitution should be interpreted differently from judge to judge, and from one year to another. Right?

This activity is not up to the folks today to interpret the activity as they feel it should be. They should be basing the activity on the activity's founding roots, which in this case, is a strong military background. That is what defines this activity. Yes, the activity, no doubt evolves. But, the base or foundation should always be the same constant.

No, no, no.

Someone previously asked whether this generation has some obligation to the generations that preceded it to preserve what they inherited. It's a nice thought, but it's ultimately untenable because it either assumes nothing can change or that there is an obvious consensus on what could change. It also assumes the previous generation gave similar consideration to the generation before it.

Just look at the recent posts demanding a return to more "military" roots. Is there a consensus among the previous generation that the color presentation is inviolable? What about inspections? And if we're willing to dispense with inspections, why not ground the pit? For that matter, why not ground the foot, so to speak, and forget the knee lift?

Get my point? It's easier to entrust the legacy prospectively than it is to guard it retrospectively. The only obligation therefore in my view is for the current generation to instill the proper values in the next generation by continuing their involvement. That's the way to protect your investment.

HH