SCV 2005: most underated show of all time?

there's way too much soprano sound and not enough low brass ... the bari/euph sound gets totally lost in the ensemble, and the tubas sound downright muddy during any technical passages. 

I agree to some extent, but I'll take your word for it since you heard it live, and I haven't lately.

That said:

hell_freezes_over.jpg

Edited by Blue Devil Legend

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if the Cavaliers where in 5th or 6th spot, then they would be underrated. Crossmen aren't a shoe in for finals...does that mean that they are underrated?!?!

Where as the Colts who for the last few years have place 15th, 16th and 16th and now are a finalist contender. Does that make them overrated?!?! Far from it....I've seen the Colts this year....creative and demanding book and a level of performance excellence that has not been seen from them in recent years.

Please explain how SCV's show is any more "old school" in your opinion than Madison's or Phantom Regiment's, for example.  I just don't see it.  What makes their show any less "artsy" (or whatever) than the rest of the top twelve?  I just saw 'em live on Monday, and your argument doesn't make any sense to me.

It's in the style of arranging and staging. They're not trying to over-conceptualize the show. There's nothing that makes me go, HUH? It dovetails together nicely in an artistic, not artsy way. There's a difference between art and arty. I just think it's nicely done and placing lower than it should. That may change before the end of the season but probably not.

The hornline is also willing to open it up and sacrifice a little control for the sake of impact, although that may have changed since I saw them last. The horn sound is very old school and at times I felt they had something comparable to a G sound. But, I expect that by semis they will be sufficiently clipboard wipped into playing the whole show mezzo forte.

Of course they are placing where they should against Cavies or Phantom. It's a 6/7th place performance. But the 9/10th placing they are getting seems out of proportion. Is BK a better corps?

Someone asked about the drum book. It's nothing especially demanding and the snare line can't play drags together. This is not a drummer's show. People go on and on about the drill but the biggest disappointment is the drumline.

Edited by Eggbert

Is BK a better corps? 

After seeing them both in Indy, I could go back and forth on BK vs. SCV, and I have to say I would give the slight edge to SCV. However, if you were to ask me if Boston is a better corps, I would quickly say yes. And that's all it takes to keep SCV in that nine spot.

..based on this statement maybe you're the only one whose intelligence should be questioned.

Cavaqueer69 = baritoneguru.

He didn't even have the intelligence to not post at nearly identical times.

I see they have "both" been banned.

Darn. :P

So if the Cavaliers where in 5th or 6th spot, then they would be underrated. Crossmen aren't a shoe in for finals...does that mean that they are underrated?!?!

Maybe, maybe not. I think people were asking about SCV this year because some of them think the show SHOULD be placing higher than it is. Some may be basing that on just hearing the APD. But, you're not automatically 'underrated' because of where you place.

[since this post about trying to determine if the 2005 SCV is "underated" (meaning not being given a proper evaluation by the judges)...

They're being told that (and I'm paraphrasing here) they are getting less credit for the product they have on the field (as of a few weeks ago) because they don't do enough dancing. The JUDGES seem to be telling them they would have a higher score if the horns and drums danced more. (The other corps that are near SCV as of few weeks ago all have parts of their shows that are essentially dance features.)

AND the show that SCV is presenting/interpreting is about war and upheaval at different times in the history of Russia/Soviet Union. Please keep that in mind when attempting to determine if the 2005 SCV is getting a fair evaluation by the judges.

(I'm sure some of the other corps are making more of their artistic decisions these days based on their desire to remain competitive. No matter what new slogan the marketers come up with, it's foremost, a competition.

It's a point worth considering for those of you trying to sort things out.)

Edited by bradrick