SCV 2005: most underated show of all time?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely not under-rated. I just saw 'em Monday night in Charleston and I think they were scored exactly where they should have been relative to Madison and PR. I don't know enough about percussion to comment, but I was sorely disappointed by the visual and the horns. Like I said in the review that I just posted, I had the same problem with the horns that I did last season -- the parts sounded watered down (compare this season's RCM to 1987's), there's way too much soprano sound and not enough low brass ... the bari/euph sound gets totally lost in the ensemble, and the tubas sound downright muddy during any technical passages. And like others have said, the drill isn't really top-five quality at all. Not to mention their feet, which may be the worst I've ever seen from Santa Clara. And I'm not a color guard expert by any means, but they were definitely weaker than Regiment or Scouts.

I agree with the post by "well_actually" up above ... people *want* to like this show because it's classic SCV ... and it is definitely a nice enjoyable show. But objectively, I really don't think the quality is there compared to the rest of the field. And for whomever asked if this show is "too drum corps for DCI," I don't see how it's really any more "old school" than Madison or PR. Those two shows were really solid in-your-face drum corps, with enough of a 21st century twist to make 'em interesting. Up against the likes of those two, I don't think Santa Clara is in the mix this season.

How can it be Underrated ? We dont even know where it is going to finish, it hasnt been "Rated" yet.

~G~

by underated I meant the negative (semi negative) reviews they have been getting.

~>conner

SCV is one of the few top corps that refuses to follow the modern "formula" for victory. I'm proud of them for that, but don't expect them to place high because they produce emotionally entertaining shows. DCI doesn't value that type of show right now...hopefully that'll change soon.

My thought exactly. DCI doesn't value the type of show they are doing this year. I really think that bias is wrong. The message to every other corps is... Toe the line and do things the DCI way in our DCI cow college pseudo-intellectual style or lose.

The real most underated show of all time is SCV, but it was in 1980. That was the last time they didn't toe the line and I guess they forgot about the high price that goes along with it.

I just downloaded the APD from San Antonio. They sound like a corps that is going to finish somewhere in the second half on finals. I can hear why they are placing where they are. I really like the music and I think RCM works just fine as a closer. They just don't seem to have the horses to pull it off. They are clearly totally out of gas during that piece. They have nowhere near the power that the hornline had in 87. RCM actually sounds bright and happy. It needs to be dark, deep, rich, ominous etc.

As has been mentioned 1000 times this summer... ;)  SCV has never been lower than 7th in the DCI era.  They finished 7th in '80, '92, and '93.

You're partially correct. SCV has never finished lower than seventh at DCI Finals. But in 1992 at Madison, they finished 8th in both Quarter- and Semifinals before moving up to seventh at Finals.

-Don't judge the clarity from a San Antonio APD, no one has clarity with the echo in that place

Sure they do! I can listen to Phantom or Cavies and other corps and hear clean attacks, releases, and balance. I don't hear that to the same degree of excellence when I listen to SCV. A recording doesn't lie. I know that I can't base a corps' performance and ranking on any recording mainly because I totally miss the visual impact, but I can certainly evaluate the brass, especially when compared to recordings of other corps from the same venue on the same date.

My thought exactly.  DCI doesn't value the type of show they are doing this year.  I really think that bias is wrong.  The message to every other corps is... Toe the line and do things the DCI way in our DCI cow college pseudo-intellectual style or lose.

Please explain how SCV's show is any more "old school" in your opinion than Madison's or Phantom Regiment's, for example. I just don't see it. What makes their show any less "artsy" (or whatever) than the rest of the top twelve? I just saw 'em live on Monday, and your argument doesn't make any sense to me.