tired of it all

Ok, here is it, i'm tired of it all. whats it you asked. people on here saying they've lost interest in DCI, DCI's changed, i'm not going to go to shows anymore, blah blah blah blah blah. heres what i say to this:

Just go already. if its that much of a problem, go! it's all the negative nancys out there that are causing the drama today in drum corps.

look, if DCI was in that big of trouble then they wouldnt have had the biggest crown at finals they've had in years. corps would be begging for kids rather than cutting them. dci's been growing, there have been new corps developing, corps that had been struggling now getting back into things. go ahead and say "well it wasnt like in 1960 when there were 200 corps" and i'll say. exactly it was a different time, most of those corps were small town corps that were either sponsored by the towns, VFW posts, etc. not gonna happen today when you have to supply instruments, food for 150 people four times a day and gas for a caravan of vehicles traveling 20000 miles.

as for the aura of drums corps, yeah its gonna change too, but i can tell you, the traditions of these corps stay alive. I saw my first DCI show in '91 at allentown when i was 5 years old. so i've seen DCI evolve and change and grow, and now 13 years later i'm still a fan, and if it wasnt college summer classes, i'd still be out there, and you can guarentee i'll be marching the last two years i have before i age out.

you just have to accept change. in 91 when i first saw my first show, Nirvana was a big deal, Terminator 2 had jsut come out, and michael jordan and the bulls won their first championship. fast forward to now. you have more rap music than you can shake a stick at, the terminators the govenor of Cali, and MJs retired.

sorry for the rant everybody, but c'mon listen to bob dylan "these times, they are a changin'."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go already. if its that much of a problem, go! it's all the negative nancys out there that are causing the drama today in drum corps.

And, personally, I'm tired of hearing about how people can't say anything negative without being shown the door. It's just as bad to tell people "just go already" as it is to say "DCI sucks."

Just for fun, let's look at the opposite side:

If it bothers you so much, why don't you just go?

Some of the people with legitimate issues with DCI have been around drum corps their whole lives, and have the benefit of perspective on the activity that is only brought by a lifetime around it. If they don't want to go, they don't have to. A lot of huge drum corps fans post on here, and they are DCA folks. They like DCA corps more, but they are still drum corps fans, and are welcome here. Just as welcome as you are.

Just my opinion. :)

Just go already? Just stay already, I say. We're all fans or we wouldn't be here.

Amen.

Ok, here is it, i'm tired of it all. whats it you asked. people on here saying they've lost interest in DCI, DCI's changed, i'm not going to go to shows anymore, blah blah blah blah blah. heres what i say to this:

look, if DCI was in that big of trouble then they wouldnt have had the biggest crown at finals they've had in years. corps would be begging for kids rather than cutting them. dci's been growing, there have been new corps developing, corps that had been struggling now getting back into things. go ahead and say "well it wasnt like in 1960 when there were 200 corps" and i'll say. exactly it was a different time, most of those corps were small town corps that were either sponsored by the towns, VFW posts, etc. not gonna happen today when you have to supply instruments, food for 150 people four times a day and gas for a caravan of vehicles traveling 20000 miles.

as for the aura of drums corps, yeah its gonna change too, but i can tell you, the traditions of these corps stay alive. I saw my first DCI show in '91 at allentown when i was 5 years old. so i've seen DCI evolve and change and grow, and now 13 years later i'm still a fan, and if it wasnt college summer classes, i'd still be out there, and you can guarentee i'll be marching the last two years i have before i age out.

you just have to accept change. in 91 when i first saw my first show, Nirvana was a big deal, Terminator 2 had jsut come out, and michael jordan and the bulls won their first championship. fast forward to now. you have more rap music than you can shake a stick at, the terminators the govenor of Cali, and MJs retired.

sorry for the rant everybody, but c'mon listen to bob dylan "these times, they are a changin'."

I hope they never just go. I'd rather have them watching shows and complaining than not watching at all. I wish they could acknowledge that if and when they stop attending, it's 100% in their control, no matter who they blame, but until then, let them complain all they want. It doesn't hurt anything.

What if we applied your "just go already" mentatlity to other situations? People who are dissatisfied with the 2004 election results should just leave the country, or at the very least, never vote again. People unhappy about a city-wide sales tax should move out of town or cease shopping entirely. Students who complain about a low score earned on an exam should walk away from the class or quit school. Rather silly and impractical, don't you think? Furthermore, to walk away is to give up...it's a cop out. Instead, if you're unhappy about the current political situation and our elected officials, you work for change. If you feel a newly imposed tax or other referrendum is unfair, you campaign to have it repealed. If you do poorly in school, you work harder to improve and alter a bad situation.

I, like a previous poster, get tired of being told to "go away" anytime I voice a negative opinion. I have a brain, I can think for myself, and I refuse to buy into the position that only those with certain "popular" views deserve to be heard. Debate is healty. Differing points of view provide balance and allow us to make informed decisions on important issues. So, no, I will not go away. I will continue to excercise my right to voice an opinion and remain ever mindful that we live in a society that allows us that privilege.

I agree as well...I believe that evolution is inevitable. You have seen in the last 15 - 17 years that the brass instruments, percussion, and even the use of the guard has evolved.

These shows are now full out productions, dance, music visuals, etc. I love watching pre-'86 shows, just to see where we have evolved from, but the key word is EVOLVE people. What drives me nuts is that people are "hatein'" before they see the product. So, when they see the product on the field their mind is made up already and they do not give it a chance.

I was brought up to look at things with an open mind, and I will admit I was a bit skeptical about singing and amped instrumentals. Once I saw the product on the field last year in Denver I was impressed at what I saw, and heard. I heard instrumentation that I was not able to hear in the past. Even the singing, which isn't new (see Boston '00, '03 and Cavaliers '94), was a nice addition to a show.

I have spent, travel included, an average of $3000 - $4000 in the last 4 seasons going to various shows and purchasing merchandise. My support is strong and only getting stronger. I plan on joining FDCI at the platinum level for next season and maybe funding a person seeking a sponsorship.

In closing, don't give up on DCI...it is as good as it has ever been. They landed a heck of a TV deal that can only get better, there is parity (except for the top 3) in the top 12 with corps fighting like dogs to make top 12. And for the last few years we have seen new or returning members to the top 12. The competition has been getting tougher year after year, the traditional top 5 has been changing...that means something is working right. I'M STAYING!!!!

What if we applied your "just go already" mentatlity to other situations?  People who are dissatisfied with the 2004 election results should just leave the country, or at the very least, never vote again.  People unhappy about a city-wide sales tax should move out of town or cease shopping entirely.  Students who complain about a low score earned on an exam should walk away from the class or quit school.  Rather silly and impractical, don't you think? 

I agree that everyone has a right to their opinion but, to use your analogies, there are times when it IS appropriate to leave the city...or country...or school. OK, short of illness or something unforeseen, there's really no reason to miss an election -- I've hit every one since I was 18. :P

The point is, if someone hates a show or two in a given year, go ahead and vent. If they hate every DCI show for the last 10 years, maybe it's time to give it a rest. Find another activity...or an alumni corps to follow. The rest of us find the constant tirades a bit old.

Edited by Phillygwm

Guest DrumCorpFan

DCI, love it or leave it!

Edited by DrumCorpFan