My personal opinion on DCA 2006

At this point, I'd like to interject and say  "POOP". 

That is all.

What Lisa said!!!! :beer:

My head hurts from all this stuff. B)

Fran

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question - How many "walk ups" usually show up the day of Finals?

Yeah, question that can't be answered but I don't expect too many locals Labor Day Sunday saying "Hey let's go to that there show tonight at the stadium". Local show maybe, but not something with the price tag of Finals that runs a couple of hours.

i've been at Kingston when it was absolutely pouring and the place still sold out because people wanted to see drum corps. 

So what your saying is that the people in the North East and will do anything to see Drum corps?????????

So a little road trip won't hurt them then?????????????????????????? :)

Jeff I think you should submit a proposal to DCA on where you feel finals should be. Please dont take any of the rest of this post personally, as I do not know you, your wife, or your Jetta.

The reason I bring this up, is I have been reading all of your feedback on all of the places DCA potentially could have finals. In reading all of your posts on this subject I have yet to come up with a place where you WOULD like to have finals. You have successfully dissed every location that has put in a bid. Allentown... bad parking..... Syracuse..... 96..... W/S....... not enough to eat for you or an ATM to pay for it...... Hershey...... Destiny's Chicken....... etc.....

So where would you like to see finals? Why would it be better? How would this venue alleviate all of the negatives you have brought to everyones attention? Would you bring the Westshormen to perform at this venue?.........

While I cannot bring myself to respect yours or anyone elses pessimistic opinions, I would value your positive opinions as a spectator, given I have never been a spectator at a DCA show.

Bottom line here bro... is BE PART OF THE SOLUTION, NOT PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Patrick,

Maybe you have't read closely enough. I was asked by many people, including those in charge of Winston Salem and DCA people on my thoughts. I was asked to hype up W-S for DCW since I was the writer assigned to the show...and, oh, I got no material to help me do that.

none. Zip. Zilch.

I WAS for Winston Salem. But When i got there and saw the issues...issues that wouldn't have happy fans....I spoke up. here, and in email.

I also said all along, that Winston Salem needed more than one to make sure they worked out all the bugs. A regular season show isn;t finals. get the #### out of the way in a run or three THEN go for the gold.

IMO, I was in favor of Hershey for year to start the migration process. HERCO killed that. Syracuse, while not my favorite venue, at least has experience on their side.

Winston Salem COULD be good. But they don't seem to think beyond they're nice people and the stadium is a football field w/great sight lines.

I offered my advice so maybe W/S would see that they missed the boat in many places that would impact the #1 people you have to please...the fans.

Why? Because, if they do it wrong, it could #### up any chances of them ever getting back.

So please, do me afavor...read ALL I write, then lecture me ok?

thanks.

Consider this . .

both Scranton and Syracuse offer about 5500 seats between the goal lines.  If that's all it's taken to keep DCA afloat all these years then any Winston-Salem effort can't be too far behind.  The organization will survive no matter what.

I saw 3500-3800 folks in Groves Stadium, under rainy conditions for days, right up to showtime.  It was a seven corps show, not 26.  I also saw the best facilities the DCA Weekend has ever seen (including I&E, banquet, headquarters hotel) plus an inordinate amount of local corporate and media support.

A breath of fresh air can be good for the soul.

:)

wow even with the press box folks added in, I didn't see that many people.

I agree SOme great things are in place. but to make it be as great as promised, more needs done. if not, Rochester 96 the Southern version.

which is funny, cause you even told me you had concerns while we were down there

Point of personal clarification:  I am willing to put the fate of DCA in general into the hands of a willing and capable W-S convention bureau who have proven to me that they want our activity and business in their city, the DCA administration to negotiate and direct all of the facets of putting on our championship weekend togethre as they have done quite competently in the past, and the FAITHFUL fans like you, the Reams, the Renegade and MBI entourages, our families and friends who are willing to travel to the ends of the earth, stand in knee deep water and sit in the hot sun for hours just to enjoy what we the performers have to offer.

Can't do a thing about the weather whether it is in W-S, Scranton, or my back yard, as we have seen in other DCA championship years, so why bring it up?

As for the local fan base - well, if you build it and promote it, they will come.  Tho I still have never seen actual stats that show a significant percentage of nondrumcorps local fans to our faithful followers.

Personal note II:  I respect the opinions of both sides, and those who are willing to express them.  These are my own thoughts, and....yadayadayada.

the rain doesn't bother me at all. My issues are with things available to fans at ####ty single A baseball stadiums that a major university doesn't have.

and now that people are spoiled, not having them can #### a lot of people and give Winston Salem a bad rap

Is there anyone that can speak to the bids from the other cities?

I'd be interested in hearing about the packages each place has put together...'cause I'm not totally a homer for Winston-Salem (although I'll defintely admit to not minding it if that's what happens), if the deal is better somewhere else.

Stadiums, hotels, city/county concessions and so on that are being made by each bid? I'd like to get into the "meat" of each proposal, if we have access to it.

...Or is that something that generally just the DCA Board folks do?

Syracuse has the OnCenter I think it's called for I&E...i actually don't remember it ^0^

the stadium is a AAA baseball stadium like Scranton, only set up down the 3rd baseline. It seemed to me that worked better for watching, but I can't remember why. More parking space was paved than Scranton. Lots of hotels from what I remember. I'm not sure what other perks they included.

Question - How many "walk ups" usually show up the day of Finals?

Yeah, question that can't be answered but I don't expect too many locals Labor Day Sunday saying "Hey let's go to that there show tonight at the stadium". Local show maybe, but not something with the price tag of Finals that runs a couple of hours.

this I agree with 100%

Come on . . .

you know this DCA 2006 banter has been fun!

Let's all take a breath and recognize how wonderful Drum Corps Planet has been to our desire to express ourselves.  What an opportunity!

That said,  I'm calling upon each of you to join in the current donation campaign.

Whatever you can give will help.  Let's face it, it (the S word)whenever we fail to log on due to bandwidth limitations.

So,  please make a donation to Drum Corps Planet.  It's easy.

Imagine a day without Drum Corps Planet.  We can't let this vehicle fade away!

(sort of on topic)

:)

I've donated so much I am due a refund check

So what your saying is that the people in the North East and will do anything to see Drum corps?????????

So a little road trip won't hurt them then?????????????????????????? :)

actually, my gut feeling is many of them won't be thrilled about a road trip. at least from the feedback I have gotten.

I think it's stupid, but it's what I foresee