2006 DCA Championships

Forgive my ignorance (there's plenty of it), but what does a sponsor have to do to run a championship?  We all know "submit a bid" but what does that really mean?

How much money does a sponsor need to have in order to to it?  Aside from Stadium retal, do you have to book hotels for the corps?  Fans?  What really goes into all of it?

We all say "It would be nice to have it ______________ "  But what does it all mean?

lots of hotel space for corps and fans

practice facilities for every corps

a stadium that meets certain criteria beyond having 100 yards

an I&E facility

a local tourism bureau working with them

and more but those are big items right there

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just waiting for Jeff to come on and say they are all nice places but have they placed a bid. 

One poster(forgive me i don't remember their name) asked what the criteria was for placing the bid.  Is there a place where we can go and find that information? My guess would be the DCA web page.

As far as Winston-Salem I think that the geography and the time of year may cause DCA some opportunities.  DCA competitive corps especiallly in the Northeast, but I'm sure there are a good amount of them in all "all age Corps" have a large percentage of college students in their corps.  Most college's are starting in the last week of August and students now are checking into school and then getting some sort of transportation to the DCA Championships.  A three to six hour drive on the friday before Championships is doable for most of the college crowd.  A 12 to 15 hour drive or the added expence of a flight to Winston-salem may cause some second thought about joining our respective corps.  I believe this to be one of the reasons the Juniors end so early in the summer.it is out of respect of the students that are their membership and the educators who are their recruiters, in addition to facility availability. Maybe the Championship can be the last week of August instead of the labor day weekend.

I'm not sure of the scheduling opportunities involved with Wake Forest University Football but closer to Opening day the AD may not be so overly welcoming of two thousand Marchers on his field. (that's one of the rasons why Rutgers is not a viable location)

We keep coming back to our reliable locations for a few reasons Geography, Finance, and availability. Availability of locations and performers.

If we can get together as an activity and address some of the questions I have spelled out here perhaps a Championship outside the Northeast can be an answer.

What do you think?  Opportunities are problems that need to be answered never deadends. Just questions to be answered.

actually the weekend before is just as bad, as many schools do move in then.

Rochester is a dump.  Do we really need to have finals in a 2nd rate city that has no tourism?  DCA is a smart organization that would benefit more if finals were in Winston Salem.  Just my 7.1 cents.

guess what? parts of Scranton is a dump. parts of Syracuse is a dump...parts of Minneapolis is a dump too.

Rochester overall is a cool town and has done a lot in the last ten years to turn itself around.

As far as Winston-Salem I think that the geography and the time of year may cause DCA some opportunities. DCA competitive corps especiallly in the Northeast, but I'm sure there are a good amount of them in all "all age Corps" have a large percentage of college students in their corps. Most college's are starting in the last week of August and students now are checking into school and then getting some sort of transportation to the DCA Championships. A three to six hour drive on the friday before Championships is doable for most of the college crowd. A 12 to 15 hour drive or the added expence of a flight to Winston-salem may cause some second thought about joining our respective corps. I believe this to be one of the reasons the Juniors end so early in the summer.it is out of respect of the students that are their membership and the educators who are their recruiters, in addition to facility availability. Maybe the Championship can be the last week of August instead of the labor day weekend.

I'm not sure of the scheduling opportunities involved with Wake Forest University Football but closer to Opening day the AD may not be so overly welcoming of two thousand Marchers on his field. (that's one of the rasons why Rutgers is not a viable location)

We keep coming back to our reliable locations for a few reasons Geography, Finance, and availability. Availability of locations and performers.

In the north as well as the south, kids head back to college in late August. What you don't realize is that in the south, high school kids also head back to school in August (in NC school legally starts on August 25). SO, Southern Corps who have any students, will have those students missing school because of the 14 plus hour bus ride to a northern location. Missing school is a non-issue, many also miss school, when they march in WGI, and for that matter many Div I DCI corps start mandatory camp prior to the end of school.

Now changing the date could be discussed, but then Championships would be like any other competition weekend---practice, perform and leave. Labor Day weekend, because of it being a long weekend gives many corps the option of hangin out longer before heading home.

Edited by GuardOdyssey

There are a few less hillbillies in Rochester. Rochester gets my vote. Plus I'll get those IQ points back when I cross back into New Jersey.  :)

Probably the most ignorant I ever read on DCP :blink:

There are a few less hillbillies in Rochester. Rochester gets my vote. Plus I'll get those IQ points back when I cross back into New Jersey.  :)

funny i feel smarter when i leave NJ in any direction :P