Glassmen and Crossmen

I already reported it!  :blink:

So did I!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with their choice of music?  Too entertaining, right? 

Pop music just doesn't have the difficulty nor demand that is basically required to maintain top 12 status in this era. Very few corps can pull it off. Madison was successful in 99 with Jesus Christ Superstar, but that was one of the most exciting shows from the last few years (it wasn't incredibly demanding, but it had just enough to get them where they wanted to be). The Cadets can pull off "Moondance" when they pair it in a show with "Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra" and "Farandole"...loaded with difficulty. Crown had "Bohemian Rhapsody" which has demand and much of their show is loaded with exposure, which is incredibly difficult. Crossmen's entire show is pop, so where's the meat?

You can't compare it to Cavies 04. I wouldn't consider James Bond music "pop"...you never hear it on the radio, do you? The theme is well known, but that's all they played that was recognizable...the rest of the show was orchestral background music from various movies, which can be difficult. Besides...we all know that the Cavies' visual is leaps and bounds more difficult that nearly every corps out there, so there's no use comparing Crossmen 05 to Cavies 04.

So, it doesn't have anything to do with entertainment value. We lost the value of entertainment years ago. It's what you do and how you do it that counts. Thank God we have corps that still try to entertain by offering us shows that we will enjoy and recognize...just don't count on them to necessarily be highly successful.

Pop music just doesn't have the difficulty nor demand that is basically required to maintain top 12 status in this era. 

If that's the apriori assumption, it needs to be reevaluated. The difficulty is a function of the arrangement much more so than the source music. There's a lot going on in this show musically which is comparable in difficulty to the other corps in their competitive bracket regardless of the genre.

Crossmen have a very neat and entertaining show, they just need to clean up all the DIRT. Their drill was really dirty at Massillon. And their opener wasn't really that great. But they closed the show really nice with Dashboard light. That was rockin'. If they can clean the drill and sell the opener more, who knows what they are capable of.

As a long time fan of the Crossmen, I have to admit they don't have a top 10 show this year performance wise. I think at best they can hope for 12th or 11th at finals. If they perform the heck out of this show it can beat Spirit.....we will see at Allentown.

That being said, I do beleive the culteral elite of this activity laugh at the fact that the Crossmen are playing pop music this year. How many corps do I have to sit through to be entertained by the music? As a casual fan of drumcorps at this point in my life, I don't think I should need a degree in musicology to appriciate a show.

Cadets, visually awsome and impressive, but I can't hum any part of the show on my way out of the stadium. Same goes for the Blue Knights and Mandarins ( I was at the West Chester show last night).

I think you can take a pop tune and ram it full of beefy drum parts, cool horn licks and a visual program that says WOW!...you know....drumcorpsize it. The demand and difficulty can be right up there with other styles. Maybe the Crossmen's problem this year is that they didn't do that? I tend to think their problem in 05 is more performance and visual related than the choice of music.

If I win the lottery in 2006: One million dollars to every corps that says "What judges? We built our show to entertain the masses."

Glassmen's design staff this year is pretty much the same as last year. I'm pretty sure that the only new guy is the drill writer. I know it may seem like they hired a whole new design staff now that the Glassmen are crowd friendly this year, but thats not the case.

Cadets, visually awsome and impressive, but I can't hum any part of the show on my way out of the stadium.  Same goes for the Blue Knights and Mandarins ( I was at the West Chester show last night).

How could you not be able to hum the Mandarins 2005 Production "Adagio from Spartacus"? :) It's a very familiar work, and the melody is definitely present throughout their show.

Crossmen have a very neat and entertaining show, they just need to clean up all the DIRT. Their drill was really dirty at Massillon. And their opener wasn't really that great. But they closed the show really nice with Dashboard light. That was rockin'. If they can clean the drill and sell the opener more, who knows what they are capable of.

They were much cleaner last night at West Chester than at Massillon. Also several drill revisions in place making the drill more interesting with more velocity.

Shout out to the Glassmen for a very entertaining show this year. This show rocks!!!

Also to the Crossmen. I have wondered for the past couple of years, why this corps is not placing higher? Oh well, go for it!!!

Good luck to both corps next week at DCI!!!