DCA..30 years later(some thoughts)

I guess I just dont buy it, Mark. I have seen the top 3 juniors this year and dont find them NOT to be loud at all. Not for all of their show, but for the moments they are supposed to be loud, they are.

I found myself checking out Bush to see if they were as loud as they could have been with bugles. I dont see then or hear the difference to a point that it disturbs me. Everyone says how loud Bucs ballad is (Adagio)...in fact I have heard people on here comment that it is the loudest thing in drum corps this year.

I have been waiting all year for the comments saying that Bb vs. G bugles was affecting DCA corps. But it hasnt been here because 2 of the top corps this year sound so good on the Bbs. I would bet that Minnesota Brass is fine with their sound as well.

On the other hand. I will say to you that at times I wondered what the music I arranged for Cru would sound like on G's.

My point really is though, that in order to score well in any circuit, you cannot play like the 60's senior corps did, as you mentioned the Brigs. The sound they got was not only from playing too loud, but because the instruments were out of tune with each other.

This activity has come a long way since those days. I dont want to hear that sound anymore. I prefer to hear music being played well and in tune. Loud parts still are loud enough for me, and I dont need my face peeled off by bad tone and extra volume. even when I work with Alumni corps I still make them tune and listen.

Donny

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I just dont buy it, Mark. I have seen the top 3 juniors this year and dont find them NOT to be loud at all. Not for all of their show, but for the moments they are supposed to be loud, they are.

I found myself checking out Bush to see if they were as loud as they could have been with bugles. I dont see then or hear the difference to a point that it disturbs me. Everyone says how loud Bucs ballad is (Adagio)...in fact I have heard people on here comment that it is the loudest thing in drum corps this year.

I have been waiting all year for the comments saying that Bb vs. G  bugles was affecting DCA corps. But it hasnt been here because 2 of the top corps this year sound so good on the Bbs. I would bet that Minnesota Brass is fine with their sound as well.

On the other hand. I will say to you that at times I wondered what the music I arranged for Cru would sound like on G's.

My point really is though, that in order to score well in any circuit, you cannot play like the 60's senior corps did, as you mentioned the Brigs. The sound they got was not only from playing too loud, but because the instruments were out of tune with each other.

This activity has come a long way since those days. I dont want to hear that sound anymore. I prefer to hear music being played well and in tune. Loud parts still are loud enough for me, and I dont need my face peeled off by bad tone and extra volume. even when I work with Alumni corps I still make them tune and listen.

Donny

Bravo!! Well said...

Donny, quick question. Would you agree that a brass ensemble would actually acheive it's peak volume through quality of sound, intonation, etc.? Rather than just blasting as much air through the horn as possible, and not listening to one another?

In other words, are horn lines today louder than any of those of the 50's/60's when they are actually playing loud... but we just don't realize it b/c they aren't always blowing our brains out 100% of the show.

I haven't heard the Bucs show yet this year. I"m hoping to catch them before prelims. Of course we always look at what we are doing and if it's musical etc. That's a given. -- always. From a musical standpoint, I can't disagree with you.

As far as the G vs Bb issue, the thing that is disturbing to me is the price of conversion.

From the studies done about this topic (again by the manufacturer) my friend Al Murray has told me straight out that on a db meter the Bb horns are louder than the G's.

Loud and Good is what everyone should be striving for. Period.

I'll answer that. It is proven that when instuments are played in tune it produces over tones in the upper brass and under tones in the lower brass. thus making the ensemble seem larger and producing a louder sound overall. Tuning is the key to loudness. Although another factor in loudness is to make sure you build from the bottom up. trying to have your lead sop/ trumpets lead the way will not help build the volume. Having a strong lower end with the higher voices accentuating them is what makes the enseble sound more full and louder. Just my 2cents as i have seen it and try to teach it.

Bravo!!  Well said...

Donny, quick question.  Would you agree that a brass ensemble would actually acheive it's peak volume through quality of sound, intonation, etc.?  Rather than just blasting as much air through the horn as possible, and not listening to one another? 

In other words, are horn lines today louder than any of those of the 50's/60's when they are actually playing loud... but we just don't realize it b/c they aren't always blowing our brains out 100% of the show.

That would be Alumni corps. LOL

All kidding aside, the participants of a junior corps no longer consider senior corps to be the next step in their drum corps career. Drum corps has indeed changed and while similar in concept, DCI and DCA are apples and oranges. No touring is involved and I think there is a feeling that a DCA senior corps is not as talented as a DCI corps. Thus, a step down. I don't think that's the case but I do think the feeling is there.

DCA corps are immensely talented as are the Alumni corps but the mindset is to do corps as a hobby.

It doesn't help that DCI helps perpetuate the stereotype that senior corps are a bunch of fat drunk hacks. Take a look at the 1988 DCI broadcast... they did a segment on senior corps that didn't exactly make it look appealing to a junior corps membership.

That would be Alumni corps. LOL

All kidding aside, the participants of a junior corps no longer consider senior corps to be the next step in their drum corps career.

That has been the norm for many years I know when I was in Jr. corps in the 70's I never wanted to march Sr corps. I did it in 90 with a pretty good Crusader corps and returned to the corps in 2001 and was happy I did.

I attended the Hornell DCI show and I have to say the corps there were great.  BUT,,  'in the old days', when you saw a corps with 70+ horns, you told your grandmother she should leave or put in her ear plugs and you covered your kids ears.  That was part of the show!  Just getting blown away.  Not these corps today.  The sound was very musical and entaining at the Hornell show, but something was missing in my opinion.  I remember seeing the Brigs in the late 50's at a Syracuse show.  I was around 8 to 9 years old at the time.  I 'll never forget it.  I felt I was nearly cut in half with the sound that horn line put out.  I really think that started me off in the drum corps activity at that very moment. lol  -  I couldn't believe it. As drum corps evolved through the years, that element is no longer present in todays DC entertainment packages.

Bb vs. G

'nuff said...

From the studies done about this topic (again by the manufacturer) my friend Al Murray has told me straight out that on a db meter the Bb horns are louder than the G's.

Loud and Good is what everyone should be striving for. Period.

What does a snare drummer know about Brass db?......only how to sell em?... b**bs

Thats like me saying amplification will balance the snare line to match the basses.....hehe.... :P

I had that argurment with Al already.......

Muz B)

I can't speak for anyone else but my opinion in regards to to the smaller number of members or perhaps the smaller number of sr. corps (in the case of Canada) is several factors some already mentioned. It starts at the bottom and works it's way up. Lack of music education in the public school system, very few marching bands in the country esp. in Ontario witht the largest population. Fewer Jr. corps and of the ones left few top DCI corps regardless of division (although some of the Div. III corps are kicking butt in 2005, GO DUTCH) anyway then there is the whole gotta do school, have a family etc.... less corps in the area so it becomes more difficult because you have to travel, the currency exchange, the border line ups etc.... all these factors put together equal less sr. corps in Ontario and less members, however there have been a few Kick Butt alumni corps in the last few years and Kingston is still always in our Canadian hearts (GO GRENNIES)

Take it for what it is worth but all these factors plus some others already mentioned and in comparison to 1960 drum corps in ontario is dead. PLEASE NOTE I said IN COMPARISON I know there are programs rebuilding out there and kudos to them