2005 Spirit of Disney Award - Div I

Who will win the 2005 Spirit of Disney Award in Division 1?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 2005 Spirit of Disney Award in Division 1?

• Blue Devils
    • Blue Knights
    • Bluecoats
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Capital Regiment
    • Carolina Crown
    • Colts
    • Crossmen
    • Esperanza
    • Glassmen
    • Kiwanis Kavaliers
    • Madison Scouts
    • Mandarins
    • Pacific Crest
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Pioneer
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Seattle Cascades
    • Southwind
    • Spirit
    • The Cadets
    • The Cavaliers
    • The Magic
    • Troopers

As described on the Yamato website (I can't find anything about it on the DCI site):

The "Spirit of Disney" Award recognizes one outstanding drum corps in each division for its ability to translate imagination into an educational and fun forum for all participants, to utilize new ideas and techniques, and to provide great entertainment value for the audience.

While discipline and strict adherence to guidelines are essential for successful drum corps performance, winners of the "Spirit of Disney" Award demonstrate more. Their performance also reveals the showmanship, creativity, and entertainment appeal of imaginative people.

Because the name "Walt Disney" is synonymous with innovative and creative family entertainment of the highest quality, the "Spirit of Disney" Award challenges performers to reflect those standards as they reach for new heights in gaining a fuller understanding of the entertainment industry.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I call this the BOOBY prize - awarded to the runner up - this year that will be ...... The Cavaliers. Cadets are too far ahead at this time in the season and beating The Cavies in too many captions. Cadets will win DCI and Cavies Disney. But just food for though PR has a very audience friendly show ...... mmmmm should I change my mind? What about this for a dream deal. PR finishes 2nd and Also wins the Disney Award? mmmmmmmm - WOW that would be a very popular 2nd Place decision. I'll tell you after Qtrs and looking at scores.

The race is on!

It is my understanding that reps from Disney make the choice for this award. There is no voting or DCI judging involved, therefore it isn't a booby prize.

I think we should also have a "fan favorite" award also. Could we judge the winner with an applause-O-meter? Take applause decibel reading throughout the show and immediatley after. Combine the reading with the the decibals of boos/yeas when the scores are announce. Maybe even take a poll right before scores by show of hands or volume of cheer. I'm sure DCI will get right on this idea.......

Anyway....my vote is for PHANTOM all the way!

Side note: Div 2/3 each have this award, can the Jersey Surf threepeat for the Spirit of Disney?

After seeing Phantom last night, I think they look and sound great but just don't have the difficulty level to beat Cavies or Cadets.  I see Cadets in first, Cavies in second, and Phantom in third and winning the Disney award.

it's about entertainment, not difficulty or placements.

~>conner

I voted for SOUTHWIND.

Not the most difficult show, certainly not on a competitive level with Phantom or Cadets, but in pure entertainment terms, it blows everyone else away by miles.

Too bad only finalists are eligible :(

Not to my knowledge. In fact, I think the highest placing Disney winner was the Cavaliers in 2003. Other winners I know of:

2002 - Cadets

2001 - Santa Clara

2000 - Boston Crusaders

1999 - Madison Scouts

1998 - Cavaliers

1997 - Madison Scouts

I believe the Cadets won in 1995, though, which would also be a second place Disney winner. I'm pretty sure Madison won in 1996.