DCI future locations?

DCI Championships 1991- Dallas, Texas

DCI Championships 1993- Jackson, Mississippi

I would call those both the South. I have one word. HOT. In Jackson, the local ambulances could not keep up with the heat casualties from the corps that week. I'd have to say that's the main reason drum corps does not flourish in the South. TOO DARN HOT.

Then everyone else must be pansies, because Spirit and Magic manage it.

And yes, we've had finals down here before, but not since '93. Its time again.

If you softy northerners can't take the heat, that sounds like a personal toughness issue to me :P

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Jackson, MS in '93 - I was hotter than a ______ ______ on a ______ ______ that week. DCI doesn't want to do that to its fans or the corps again. It's like the Superbowl. The NFL puts it in warmer climates or domes. It's just nicer for everyone. It sucks for all of you in the South, but weather is what it is.

I love the idea of California in 2007. It's about time DCI gets out there for finals. The Devils, Vanguard, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, etc. all deserve it.

It was already determined that Magic is not from the South (given the previous argument). I grew up in Houston, so I know what heat is, thank you. :P

But, what happened to the many many other corps that started in or moved to Texas and then folded? I think heat plays a great role, along with the already well-established top drum corps that attract kids away from the South.

I don't know how the heck DCI decides where to have Championships every year, and it is getting old having them at the same few places. There is no ideal place for everyone, though, unless you have them in Kansas, the center of the nation, but that would be an unfair advantage to Blue Knights, the Troopers, etc, who don't have to travel as far as the Cadets or the Blue Devils.

I'm pretty sure that Birmingham and Atlanta are both in the south!

Yes, and if you'll notice my post above I say it hasn't been down here since 93. Its been too long.

But, what happened to the many many other corps that started in or moved to Texas and then folded? I think heat plays a great role, along with the already well-established top drum corps that attract kids away from the South.

Then explain spirit?

Also explain the millions of extremely high quality bands in Texas. Texas IS marching band. If high schoolers can take the heat, corps members can.

DCI Championships 1991- Dallas, Texas

DCI Championships 1993- Jackson, Mississippi

I would call those both the South.  I have one word.  HOT.  In Jackson, the local ambulances could not keep up with the heat casualties from the corps that week.  I'd have to say that's the main reason drum corps does not flourish in the South.  TOO DARN HOT.

Tenn. isn't as hot. I would say have it in KY...but that will NEVER happen.

Texas has a rule that marching bands are not allowed to practice for more than a small amount of time away from the school day. A drum corps practices much longer per day than a Texas marching band. Again, I grew up in Houston, marched in a Houston-area marching band and marched drum corps in a Midwest corps that competed all over the country, so I know the difference. A day in drum corps in West Virginia was much tougher than a day in marching band back in Texas.

I once heard Rose Bowl for 2007, and then I heard San Diego for 2007.

I am hoping for California.

Jonathan

All I know is once all of the corps outside of California spend a week in San Diego and absorb the beauty of the ocean, the 80 degree weather, and the cool breeze blowing from the west, organizations will beg DCI to make it a permanent championship site. :P

Texas has a rule that marching bands are not allowed to practice for more than a small amount of time away from the school day. A drum corps practices much longer per day than a Texas marching band. Again, I grew up in Houston, marched in a Houston-area marching band and marched drum corps in a Midwest corps that competed all over the country, so I know the difference. A day in drum corps in West Virginia was much tougher than a day in marching band back in Texas.

I know the difference too my friend. I too grew up in Houston, marched in a high school band and then joined a midwest corps that toured the country.

And still no one has answered my question: Explain Spirit.

The rule you are refering to, which is set up by U.I.L. down here in Texas, is that bands may not practice outside of school for more than 8 and a half hours a week. Still, 100 degree heat is 100 degree heat. And yes, marching corps was harder.

Again I say, explain Spirit.