DCI future locations?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the idea of California in 2007. It's about time DCI gets out there for finals. The Devils, Vanguard, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, etc. all deserve it.

Yes! THANK YOU!!! :ph34r:

All I know is once all of the corps outside of California spend a week in San Diego and absorb the beauty of the ocean, the 80 degree weather, and the cool breeze blowing from the west, organizations will beg DCI to make it a permanent championship site.

Aaaaw shucks! Flattering will get you everywhere. :wall:

I agree though, San Diego = Paradise 365 days a year!

Well, Spirit appears to be an anomoly. They have a great arrangement going with JSU.

I didn't say that the heat was the only reason, just part of the reason. I also think that a lot of kids want to go elsewhere to march with a top-notch corps (not saying that Spirit isn't, but it's the only Southern option). It's hard to start a new corps anywhere, let alone in Texas or anywhere else in the South. The costs are astronomical, and most (most, not all) kids aren't going to want to spend their whole career with a start-up corps.

I think Southern California would be an awesome stop weather-wise for Championship Week. I love coming there every Spring.

Atlanta would be nice, the Georgia Dome doesn't sound bad when they have BOA competitions there. Plus no rain, and climate controlled. It hasn't been to Atlanta since 1984. Orlando is too far South to be considered South. California would be expensive but I bet they wish it would be out there, it is always too far for some of those fans. Nashville would be nice, a days drive for us, but workable.

It is hot in the South, but they always have the competition in Murfreesboro, maybe keep it in Tennessee or North Georgia.

What Texas isn't that hot....I mean yeah, todays high temperature on the coast (thirty minutes from Houston) was 102 degrees....but thats not even including the heat index which is easily 111 degrees on a fun day.

I marched Revo until a couple days after San Antonio, and I have to admit: All days in San Antonio were great! So yeah we would break a sweat walking to the field, and yeah I could drown a cat with my sweat from the first hundred drop spins. And yeah, there were rarely clouds, and it rained the last full day of all-days......but then again, I wouldn't have thought of drum corps any other way....

I mean c'mon, the Alamodome does have air conditioning......and you could totally have DivII there in the Alamodome, or at UTs stadium in Austin (which is like an hour away or so).

So cal in 2007? If it holds true .... I CAN'T WAIT. Give me a great reason to visit home during August !!! :) The Rose Bowl or San Diego would be a great venue for the DCI championship. Great weather, food, and people. Home sweet home !!

What Texas isn't that hot....I mean yeah, todays high temperature on the coast (thirty minutes from Houston) was 102 degrees....but thats not even including the heat index which is easily 111 degrees on a fun day.

I marched Revo until a couple days after San Antonio, and I have to admit: All days in San Antonio were great! So yeah we would break a sweat walking to the field, and yeah I could drown a cat with my sweat from the first hundred drop spins. And yeah, there were rarely clouds, and it rained the last full day of all-days......but then again, I wouldn't have thought of drum corps any other way....

I mean c'mon, the Alamodome does have air conditioning......and you could totally have DivII there in the Alamodome, or at UTs stadium in Austin (which is like an hour away or so).

ANYONE SUGGESTING THAT DCI FINALS WEEK SHOULD BE IN A DOME NEEDS TO BE SHOT!!!!

It's bad enough having San Antonio and Indy.

BLAH DOMES!!

The day they move Finals week to a dome is the day DCI dies!!!!

DOWN WITH DOMES!!!

San Diego = Paradise 365 days a year!

Oh. I'd always heard that it was only Paradise's Waiting Room.... ^0^

Curious as to why, if they were going west, they wouldn't look to the Bay Area. Given that the majority of dc activity there is in CA is up north, wouldn't that make more sense? Not an argument, just a question...

Edited by mobrien

I think its about time that championships were in California. Between SCV, BD, and Kingsmen, hasn't a Cali corps won it about 19 times? (My numbers may be a little off. (Old timers, you know)) :ph34r:

As for the comment about out "toughness" it was about 107 degrees here when we held our show in mid July. (West Coast Showdown) And if that isn't hot enough for you, it was about 145 degrees in Balad when I was there 2 years ago. (BTW, Balad is about 50 miles up Hwy1 from Baghdad. Yes, THAT Baghdad)

Is that hot enough for you? :P