BD Show

For all the horrible things that people on DCP have said about BD's show I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised...

I found that I really enjoyed the show AND the narration. After 5 or so hours of corps whose performances blended together in my mind, I found BD's show refreshing by standing out and expanding on that kind of...quirky...style they have been toying with the past few years. Wish I had a better word or way of describing it, but that is all I got. Im not a BD alum or a BD fanatic, and more than willing to say when it doesn’t match my tastes...but I liked it and am disappointed that saying I enjoyed the show will get me almost flamed. I enjoy myself more when a corps has a consistent theme combined with a distinct corps style. Some corps, in my opinion, were just out there playing a lot of big chords and marching from random form to random form (exaggeration here, but you get the idea). I can not separate some corps in my mind in all honesty...some just blend right on in with each other. Its just stuff that has all been done before....I thought BD's show was accessible and entertaining and will make a good impression on some of the first time drum corps fans that will be channel flipping and find themselves on ESPN2.

On another note...I really enjoyed Phantom with Gershwin, Cavies drill, Cadets being thought provoking and Crowns beautiful brass.

Good luck to everybody the next few days!

-Lukehart

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the horrible things that people on DCP have said about BD's show I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised...

I found that I really enjoyed the show AND the narration. After 5 or so hours of corps whose performances blended together in my mind, I found BD's show refreshing by standing out and expanding on that kind of...quirky...style they have been toying with the past few years. Wish I had a better word or way of describing it, but that is all I got. Im not a BD alum or a BD fanatic, and more than willing to say when it doesn’t match my tastes...but I liked it and am disappointed that saying I enjoyed the show will get me almost flamed. I enjoy myself more when a corps has a consistent theme combined with a distinct corps style. Some corps, in my opinion, were just out there playing a lot of big chords and marching from random form to random form (exaggeration here, but you get the idea). I can not separate some corps in my mind in all honesty...some just blend right on in with each other. Its just stuff that has all been done before....I thought BD's show was accessible and entertaining and will make a good impression on some of the first time drum corps fans that will be channel flipping and find themselves on ESPN2.

On another note...I really enjoyed Phantom with Gershwin, Cavies drill, Cadets being thought provoking and Crowns beautiful brass.

-Lukehart

Word.

-Lukehart

I Agree! BD was much better than I anticipated from previous reviews...

The Blue Devils just left me at the starting gate. I could not get excited about their performance. I don't understand why a corps would enjoy going out night after night and play like they are falling down tired. Made me want to take a nap. It just was not the BD I am use to seeing I hope they get over this off the wall theme thing they have been in the last 3 or 4 years and get back to what made them famous. And please, get rid of that naration crap. Yowsa.

I have to admit that after a summer of reading some of the postings around here, I was really beginning to wonder if BD was really that "off" this year.

After catching the quarters viewing in Seattle though, I can say that I was amazed by this show. While the design may not be their best, I think that they did some very creative things, and hope that they keep pushing that envelope. And I think a lot of people would agree that they are performing at an excellent level. This Blue Devils corps is as good or better than any recent year. Keep up the great work!

The show was definitely better than I expected. When the horn line plays, it's the BD that's won 11 rings. But after a minute they keep going to the stupid narration! Come on, let 'em play!

The Blue Devils were awesome last night. I think you're crazy to not like this show. It was such a breath of fresh air. Way to go Blue Devils and staff. You were the biggest surprise for me last night. All season I had read the typical negative stuff, which can become common-place on this forum, but I found your show entertaining, challenging, and actually quite musical. This book is not as chopped up as people say, and I LOVE the narration. This show would not work wihout the narration. Awesome guard, and what a fun ending of Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs. WOW! Good stuff. Take it further.

Jonathan