The unofficial SCV is getting HOSED thread!

Would love to know exactly what you mean by that.

This years corps could be one of the strongest-willed SCV corps EVER. All they have heard and read the entire season is TOTAL negativity from EVERYWHERE, yet amongst all that crap, they continue to perform with pride, and.........TRADITION.

You bet your ### SCV '05 IS the Vanguard.

The DM, Stuart Shulman, has been a class act and a terrific leader -- another of the continuous string of DM's we have come to "know and love."

Send your resume, Stu!!!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DM, Stuart Shulman, has been a class act and a terrific leader -- another of the continuous string of DM's we have come to "know and love."

Send your resume, Stu!!!!

True about Stuart, but what is exactly your point in regards to this?:

I would love to see this show done by the Vanguard we all know and love.

Edited by Blue Devil Legend

What is my point?

Here is the meat of your post, to which I replied:

"This years corps could be one of the strongest-willed SCV corps EVER. All they have heard and read the entire season is TOTAL negativity from EVERYWHERE, yet amongst all that crap, they continue to perform with pride, and.........TRADITION."

1. The corps has a strong will and I believe this is in good part to a great onfield leader amidst all of the organizational turmoil.

2. The corps has been beleaguered by negativity from everywhere, true. And a great leader is the glue to keep the corps dedicated, focused, and resistant to collapse.

3. They continue to perform with pride and tradition, true. And one of their traditions has been great drum majors. I put Stu up there with the best.

I'm not saying the corps has been resilient simply because of Stu, just that your comments brought him to mind. There are historical examples of great corps having off years and resorting to infighting. Inasmuch as Vanguard have held their heads high and carried themselves with pride, I salute them. For it should not be assumed that such scenarios are a given. I believe great leadership in trying circumstances has something to do with that.

I posted this on the SCV alumni forum and thought it was relevent to this thread.

I was trying to decide if I wanted to post anything about quarters! Betty and I traveled to Scottsdale to see the show. I haven't seen much DC over the years and in that time DC has matured and become very....BORING! I went in thinking I'd rate each corps by the number of, as Jerry would say, ducky bump moments. Sorry to say there weren't any! So Dan (Smith) when did corps forget how to march?!! Do the words dress, cover and interval exist in DC anymore? Sure didn't last night! Oh they race around, running at times, and occasionally pause at what I imagine is suppose to be some sort of picture, although very hard to see through the crappy execution. No wonder you don't want to go back the tic system...your pens would run dry. Musically the shows had very little meat! I can't comment on percussion since it's not my forte, but the pit has become way to big! I have never been a big fan of the pit...they don't march! How'd you like Boston's version of Candide? All the tough passages where played by the pit! Wimps! Someone should play them SCV's version! All the guards do a lot of free form dance that doesn't add shiz! Occasionally they mix with the rest of the corps and do integrate for moments, but then its off on there own. Almost seems you're seeing two shows, one guard, one corps. I really wanted to see Phantom since I heard they were doing "An American in Paris". Every since JW was first hired I've telling whomever would listen SCV needs to do "An American in Paris". I even mentioned it to Key last fall. I was really disappointed in PR. They had to mess it up and mix in "Rhapsody In Blue". There is plenty of meat in "An American in Paris" and the Rhapsody numbers never met Madison's standards! I could go on and on and before I sign off let me rant for just a little more. Narration sucks! Corps singing the same. Drum chant...stupid! Horns and drums dancing...crap (curse of 93 Star). SCV's white pants are killing them, but they shouldn't be losing to Boston or Carolina (SCV's book is so much harder and just as clean). I guess the activity has passed me by. I will always do whatever I can to support the SCV organization since I think it installs some great values in it's members (if that ever changes I'm gone). However I don't plan on attending anymore special broadcasts!

I posted this on the SCV alumni forum and thought it was relevent to this thread.

I was trying to decide if I wanted to post anything about quarters! Betty and I traveled to Scottsdale to see the show. I haven't seen much DC over the years and in that time DC has matured and become very....BORING! I went in thinking I'd rate each corps by the number of, as Jerry would say, ducky bump moments. Sorry to say there weren't any! So Dan (Smith) when did corps forget how to march?!! Do the words dress, cover and interval exist in DC anymore? Sure didn't last night! Oh they race around, running at times, and occasionally pause at what I imagine is suppose to be some sort of picture, although very hard to see through the crappy execution. No wonder you don't want to go back the tic system...your pens would run dry. Musically the shows had very little meat! I can't comment on percussion since it's not my forte, but the pit has become way to big! I have never been a big fan of the pit...they don't march! How'd you like Boston's version of Candide? All the tough passages where played by the pit! Wimps! Someone should play them SCV's version! All the guards do a lot of free form dance that doesn't add shiz! Occasionally they mix with the rest of the corps and do integrate for moments, but then its off on there own. Almost seems you're seeing two shows, one guard, one corps. I really wanted to see Phantom since I heard they were doing "An American in Paris". Every since JW was first hired I've telling whomever would listen SCV needs to do  "An American in Paris". I even mentioned it to Key last fall. I was really disappointed in PR. They had to mess it up and mix in "Rhapsody In Blue". There is plenty of meat in  "An American in Paris" and the Rhapsody numbers never met Madison's standards! I could go on and on and before I sign off let me rant for just a little more. Narration sucks! Corps singing the same. Drum chant...stupid! Horns and drums dancing...crap (curse of 93 Star). SCV's white pants are killing them, but they shouldn't be losing to Boston or Carolina (SCV's book is so much harder and just as clean). I guess the activity has passed me by. I will always do whatever I can to support the SCV organization since I think it installs some great values in it's members (if that ever changes I'm gone). However I don't plan on attending anymore special broadcasts!

Okay okay okay, we get it! When you marched it was better, and drum corps is horrible garbage now that just needs to quit while it's ahead.

I was trying to decide if I wanted to post anything about quarters! Betty and I traveled to Scottsdale to see the show. I haven't seen much DC over the years and in that time DC has matured and become very....BORING! I went in thinking I'd rate each corps by the number of, as Jerry would say, ducky bump moments. Sorry to say there weren't any! So Dan (Smith) when did corps forget how to march?!! Do the words dress, cover and interval exist in DC anymore? Sure didn't last night! Oh they race around, running at times, and occasionally pause at what I imagine is suppose to be some sort of picture, although very hard to see through the crappy execution. No wonder you don't want to go back the tic system...your pens would run dry. Musically the shows had very little meat! I can't comment on percussion since it's not my forte, but the pit has become way to big! I have never been a big fan of the pit...they don't march! How'd you like Boston's version of Candide? All the tough passages where played by the pit! Wimps! Someone should play them SCV's version! All the guards do a lot of free form dance that doesn't add shiz! Occasionally they mix with the rest of the corps and do integrate for moments, but then its off on there own. Almost seems you're seeing two shows, one guard, one corps. I really wanted to see Phantom since I heard they were doing "An American in Paris". Every since JW was first hired I've telling whomever would listen SCV needs to do  "An American in Paris". I even mentioned it to Key last fall. I was really disappointed in PR. They had to mess it up and mix in "Rhapsody In Blue". There is plenty of meat in  "An American in Paris" and the Rhapsody numbers never met Madison's standards! I could go on and on and before I sign off let me rant for just a little more. Narration sucks! Corps singing the same. Drum chant...stupid! Horns and drums dancing...crap (curse of 93 Star). SCV's white pants are killing them, but they shouldn't be losing to Boston or Carolina (SCV's book is so much harder and just as clean). I guess the activity has passed me by. I will always do whatever I can to support the SCV organization since I think it installs some great values in it's members (if that ever changes I'm gone). However I don't plan on attending anymore special broadcasts!

If this block of text is too much for anyone to read in one sitting, never fear, I have the Cliff Notes version for you:

"I'm a dinosaur! Rarr!"

:P

Okay okay okay, we get it! When you marched it was better, and drum corps is horrible garbage now that just needs to quit while it's ahead.

No, it doesn't need to quit, but it does need to stop being self serving before it begins to lose its fan base all over again. Remember, in order for drum corps to continue it needs to draw the fans in. When it started losing the fans in the mid to late 90's, the activity had to push towards more general affect, and what do you know, the fans started returning. Now that the crowds are back, the corps are getting back to the "push the envelope" phase, which is just a little too rich for most people to get.

Listen, I love seeing corps go super fast with incredible drill, but I seem to remember wanting a little entertainmentment to go along with the 'wow' factor. And i walked out of the theater last night to a lot of people saying the same thing, "It was the same thing over and over again, its getting kinda boring".

When the corps all start to sound the same, and the fans are moaning more then they are clapping (reference every moment someone used a mic for narration), then something is wrong.

My opinion, e are doing some things right, but coming dangerously close to doing a lot of things wrong.

largecarnosaurs.gif

It is believed that this prehistoric predator dates back to 1976 and was a part of the of Madison Scouts species. They tended to prey upon younglings and people with differing taste than them, especially if it doesn't allow room for the playing of Chuck Mangione music or Malaguena.

:P

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

No, it doesn't need to quit, but it does need to stop being self serving before it begins to lose its fan base all over again. Remember, in order for drum corps to continue it needs to draw the fans in. When it started losing the fans in the mid to late 90's, the activity had to push towards more general affect, and what do you know, the fans started returning. Now that the crowds are back, the corps are getting back to the "push the envelope" phase, which is just a little too rich for most people to get.

Listen, I love seeing corps go super fast with incredible drill, but I seem to remember wanting a little entertainmentment to go along with the 'wow' factor. And i walked out of the theater last night to a lot of people saying the same thing, "It was the same thing over and over again, its getting kinda boring".

When the corps all start to sound the same, and the fans are moaning more then they are clapping (reference every moment someone used a mic for narration), then something is wrong.

My opinion, e are doing some things right, but coming dangerously close to doing a lot of things wrong.

Funny, I find the corps very entertaining this year, and most of them I only have music to go by. Even when drum corps was as "weird" as you make it seem, I'm still hearing thousands of people cheering and emoting in those recordings! Okay okay, I'll take your word for it, let's just say drum corps sucks and isn't entertaining anymore. If there's a huge drop off in attendance for Finals next year, I'll eat my right hand.