The unofficial SCV is getting HOSED thread!

I'm not trying to push anyone's buttons.

And Rich, I respect plenty.

Cool, than we can move on from here.

Sometimes the internet doesn't quite represent one's personality by what they type. Things can miscontrued BIGTIME without knowing one's "aura".

Fact of the matter is I don't know your person, and you don't know mine......that said, I'll know better next time.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it doesn't need to quit, but it does need to stop being self serving before it begins to lose its fan base all over again. Remember, in order for drum corps to continue it needs to draw the fans in. When it started losing the fans in the mid to late 90's, the activity had to push towards more general affect, and what do you know, the fans started returning. Now that the crowds are back, the corps are getting back to the "push the envelope" phase, which is just a little too rich for most people to get.

What shows do you think fit that mold these days? PR doing Gershwin, BAC doing Bernstein (etc), JSU doing Broadway, Xmen doing rock, SCV doing Russian music, Cavies doing a "Chicago" theme, complete with baseball game, Glassmen doing a jazzed up Dvorak....

I just don't see corps doing shows that fit that mold these days, but I did not see all of them this year.

Mike

I actually respected what the one's before me did, whether or not I liked it.

You say that, and suddenly I'm curious how much respect you were shown as a current member in your time. Did you have to put up with insulting and offensive rants like Paul's? It's great to show respect, but at times that can be very difficult to do when you are shown none in return.

I often like you and your posts because you can appreciate what today's kids are doing. For that reason, I'm actually surprised to see you condoning Paul's post.

My posts have been to defend today's marching members, several of whom are my personal friends, who have poured themselves equally into the activity of drum corps as any alumni did in their time.  Yet far too often today's members recieve only biting criticism from those like Paul, jerks with nothing at all positive to say to kids who have earned more respect than that.

If my behavior of defending today's members is considered "pushing buttons", then some alumni on here seriously need to stop and examine their goals, because their aim seems to be nothing more than to tear down the kids who are in the very position that they were once in years ago.

Pee Wee, you speak of the class that comes from being in an organization.  I invite you to point out anything classy about Paul's rant.  For the thousandth time, respect cannot simply be demanded, it must be earned, and I've seen precious little that I can respect coming from certain alumni who should really know better.

Matt, as I told you before, I read and respect your thoughts.

Except for a few times that maybe what you were trying to convey came out demeaning to some, and you and I chated in regards to it, I grew even more respect for you, and still have it as much now.

So for myself, I can say that I don't feel you have been "pushing anyone's buttons.

You say that, and suddenly I'm curious how much respect you were shown as a current member in your time.  Did you have to put up with insulting and offensive rants like Paul's?  It's great to show respect, but at times that can be very difficult to do when you are shown none in return. 

I often like you and your posts because you can appreciate what today's kids are doing.  For that reason, I'm actually surprised to see you condoning Paul's post.

Matt, read it again, Paul mentioned:

(PeeWee @ Aug 12 2005, 07:50 PM)

"Remember, you probably acted the same way when you were their age."

I'm not condoning ANYONE, I'm simply stating my own "mindset". :)

Edited by Blue Devil Legend

#### dinosaurs. :)

dude, knowing you, THAT would be funny. :P

Heh, that was Pee Wee (Mike) that said "Remember, you probably acted the same way when you were their age."

By "Paul", I was referring to ptr250's post on page 7, which caused this whole fuss in the first place.

don't let your maturity level... drop...

I invite you to point out anything classy about Paul's rant.

Please note emphasis made in first quote.