The unofficial SCV is getting HOSED thread!

Heh, that was Pee Wee (Mike) that said "Remember, you probably acted the same way when you were their age."

By "Paul", I was referring to ptr250's post on page 7, which caused this whole fuss in the first place.

Heh, I think my IQ drop today is at Defcon 5.

*BDL Is in d###### mode* :P

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you marched where?

Bando  <**>

And you marched where?

Bando 2 <**>

I see by your signature that you marched in the early 70s. That means you are old enough to know how to speak your mind in a less abrasive manner. This leads me to believe that you are of the attitude that could care less who he insults or the people whose hard work he trashes.

It may not be YOUR style of drum corps anymore, and it really isn't even mine, but you know what? Things change. Are you still driving around in a 1974 Pinto, or listening to 8-track cassettes, or wearing leisure suits? (Don't answer, I don't really need to know that bad).

I'm kind of disappointed that the older crowd of FMMs who have something to say about the state of affair can't use their age and (suposed) wisdom to find a less offensive way to say it.

These kids are still going 100%. Same as you, same as me. They still give up a summer, they still sweat, get tan, lose weight, develop friendships. None of that has changed. If you really are that ticked off, vote with your dollars or speak with the leadership of the corps, don't denigrate the hard work of the kids.

Eh, what do I know...I am probably just a bando in your eyes too.

You say that, and suddenly I'm curious how much respect you were shown as a current member in your time.  Did you have to put up with insulting and offensive rants like Paul's?  It's great to show respect, but at times that can be very difficult to do when you are shown none in return. 

I often like you and your posts because you can appreciate what today's kids are doing.  For that reason, I'm actually surprised to see you condoning Paul's post.

Somehow somewhere, somebody is going to teach you how to read! Show me anywhere in my post where I disrespect the marching members! As a matter of fact I have the up- most respect for the members. They perform what is given to them! I have a problem with what they are given and how it is received by the adjudicators.

I also have a problem with snot nosed brats (snb) who have never worked fourteen hour day, sat in an un-air-conditioned bus for eleven hours and slept on a hardwood floor for the majority of the summer just to give all on the field of competition. Only to have the expert snb sit at his keyboard and critique the performance like they know squat! Oh right you have friends who march. BFD!!!

Show me anywhere in my post where I disrespect the marching members!

Alright. These are passages I deem quite disrespectful of today's members:

"I haven't seen much DC over the years and in that time DC has matured and become very....BORING! I went in thinking I'd rate each corps by the number of, as Jerry would say, ducky bump moments. Sorry to say there weren't any!"

"So Dan (Smith) when did corps forget how to march?!! Do the words dress, cover and interval exist in DC anymore? Sure didn't last night! Oh they race around, running at times, and occasionally pause at what I imagine is suppose to be some sort of picture, although very hard to see through the crappy execution. No wonder you don't want to go back the tic system...your pens would run dry."

"I have never been a big fan of the pit...they don't march!"

"How'd you like Boston's version of Candide? All the tough passages where played by the pit! Wimps! Someone should play them SCV's version!"

"All the guards do a lot of free form dance that doesn't add shiz!"

"Narration sucks! Corps singing the same. Drum chant...stupid! Horns and drums dancing...crap (curse of 93 Star)."

Yes, I consider all that to be quite disrespectful. In most cases it's what you say, but in every case it's how you say it.

Only to have the expert snb sit at his keyboard and critique the performance like they know squat! Oh right you have friends who march. BFD!!!

And what, might I ask, are you doing besides sitting at your keyboard and critiquing the performances as if you know more than anyone else? Oh right, you marched in the 70's. I respect those who have marched, but if comments like yours are the best you have to show for it, then BFD indeed.

I think it's time...

Meesa called Jar Jar Binks.

I dunno wtf that means, but it seems funny, and appropriate at this point.

:blush:

And what, might I ask, are you doing besides sitting at your keyboard and critiquing the performances as if you know more than anyone else? Oh right, you marched in the 70's. I respect those who have marched, but if comments like yours are the best you have to show for it, then BFD indeed.

There is a whole lot of difference in criticizing the performance vehicle and criticizing the performers. Until you realize that you will continue to leap to the defense of those who need no defending! My problem lies with those who envision these so called concepts.

And you marched where?

Bando  <**>

And you marched where?

Bando 2 <**>

Wow Paul that is VERY cool. You moved the band vs. drum corps relationship exactly nowhere versus where it was 30 years ago. Nice job. Bando, and even more clever, Bando 2, nice job. Keep it up. Classy.

If they didn't march they can't be fans, riiiiiight.

What shows do you think fit that mold these days? PR doing Gershwin, BAC doing Bernstein (etc), JSU doing Broadway, Xmen doing rock, SCV doing Russian music, Cavies doing a "Chicago" theme, complete with baseball game, Glassmen doing a jazzed up Dvorak....

I just don't see corps doing shows that fit that mold these days, but I did not see all of them this year.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Not arguing with WHAT they are playing, but ho it is being arranged and presented on the field.

Also, to clarify, none of this is a knock on the kids. For godsakes, we love 'em all, and they ARE the reason we still and always will support the activity. My argument is with the show design, not the execution.