The unofficial SCV is getting HOSED thread!

Okay okay okay, we get it! When you marched it was better, and drum corps is horrible garbage now that just needs to quit while it's ahead.

And you marched where?

Bando <**>

If this block of text is too much for anyone to read in one sitting, never fear, I have the Cliff Notes version for you:

"I'm a dinosaur!  Rarr!"

:P

And you marched where?

Bando 2 <**>

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have such a rich understanding of DC history! I grovel at your expertise!

Well, since you've already shown your incredibly poor understanding of DC present, I think we're pretty even. :)

See, here is my problem with the activity now days, we put ay too much emphasis on making shows too difficult. Somewhere, someone has got the impression that in order to be good, your show has to be run at 220 bpm, have music that only slightly resembles the original score, a zillion 32nd note runs, with various splats, gacks, odd body angles (ala Star 1993) etc...

Again, such is the price of "necessary innovation and reinvention." I feel like a lot of the visual programs this year (and the last couple of years) are very "Cavalier-like", if you will. So, the Cavaliers had to turn things up a notch or two.

Ignoring the standard arguments about amps/narration/Bb horns/etc., because I think this question transcends all of that: Will drum corps innovate itself to the point of impossibility?

I also expected to be a big time member of the SCV got hosed club.

I saw the show last night, and not so much. Do I like it? Yes. But it's nothing spectacular (to me). The music was good, but I didn't think great, and the visual was just there for me.

I'd like to see it again. If I got the CDs, it's not a show I would skip over. But there is stuff I liked much, much better.

Again, such is the price of "necessary innovation and reinvention."  I feel like a lot of the visual programs this year (and the last couple of years) are very "Cavalier-like", if you will.  So, the Cavaliers had to turn things up a notch or two.

Ignoring the standard arguments about amps/narration/Bb horns/etc., because I think this question transcends all of that: Will drum corps innovate itself to the point of impossibility?

But what shows have we heard sound like that, besides BD on occasion.

But what shows have we heard sound like that, besides BD on occasion.

Like what? Like what Newseditor44 claimed? I can't answer all in one show, but I could probably come up with multiple examples of each individually.

Splats/gacks/body angles: take your pick of dozens

Slightly resembles original score: I'd throw Cavaliers 2000 (a show I love) in there, and I suppose one could make a debate for original music in general.

Complex runs: again, take your pick. I'd throw difficult rhythmic passages as well as straight "runs" in here as well

I'm not saying it's all come together yet, or that in 2006, every show's going to have all of these properties. But it does seem to be heading there, in my opinion. Maybe it's still 10 years away, but it's there.