Grand Champions!

The whole business makes no sense to me at all. I was especially confused when they started handing out caption awards, medals and patches. So do Spartans have "champion" patches for Division II? And this "finals" and "grand super extraordinary really cool amazing finals" nomenclature is just stupid. When they first changed to the three-show format in 2003, it was just prelims, semis, and finals. The name change makes no sense.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole business makes no sense to me at all.  I was especially confused when they started handing out caption awards, medals and patches.  So do Spartans have "champion" patches for Division II?  And this "finals" and "grand super extraordinary really cool amazing finals" nomenclature is just stupid.  When they first changed to the three-show format in 2003, it was just prelims, semis, and finals.  The name change makes no sense.

spartans got the patch and i believe DCI pays for part of the ring... at least...thats what i heard

This is silly. No one GETS a ring. Corps need to buy them and anyone can. The Blue Saints can buy rings for their members that say 20th place DCI Div III 2005 if they so choose.

DCI does not provide rings to anyone. If the Spartans want to order rings for their members that say Divisional Champions they can. If ECJ wants to order rings that say Div 2 World Champions they can also. I do think it would be somehwat silly for the Spartans to do so, but it is their right.

Yes this is worse than the BCS. Hopefully this format gets dropped pronto.

Sorry let me clearify my statement. When i said the right to own a ring i don't mean DCI's permission, i mean the unwritten wule that the world champions should get a ring for the season.... not the second place corps, or the winner of a preliminary competition, or the spririt of disney award winner and so on and so forth.

And i have no doubt that spartans will get a ring, in fact i also heard that information myself. If it will make them feel special i'm all for it.

Then I guess you don't know the 2 staff that well at all...many shared friendships and repect amongst both instructional staffs. There was no screaming match about scoring at all, I was there.

Ditto - I was on the track for the whole event, and the following hour afterwards. The only screaming came from the audience, cheering for the corps.

spartans got the patch and i believe DCI pays for part of the ring... at least...thats what i heard

DCI doesn't pay for any of the ring, it's entirely the responsibility of the corps. Some corps' booster clubs can afford to cover the costs, but it's a good bet that in II/III the members will pay for their own rings.

This is silly. No one GETS a ring. Corps need to buy them and anyone can. The Blue Saints can buy rings for their members that say 20th place DCI Div III 2005 if they so choose.

DCI does not provide rings to anyone. If the Spartans want to order rings for their members that say Divisional Champions they can. If ECJ wants to order rings that say Div 2 World Champions they can also. I do think it would be somehwat silly for the Spartans to do so, but it is their right.

Yes this is worse than the BCS. Hopefully this format gets dropped pronto.

One ring one world champ simple....

Edited by ECJ_Tuba

Only difference between the format of last year and this year, CAPTION medals were awarded at Div2/3 semis on Thursday. Just like every other show you get gold, silver and bronze medals. Spartans and Raiders were recognized as divisional champions. The world champions were awarded a trophy and flag at Grand Finals on Saturday. There are only 2 corps that were recognized as World Champions, ECJ and Raiders.

Yup

I think DCI has made it pretty clear on their website. Nowhere is there a "Spartans Div 2 champions" but only two interviews from the directors of the champions of Div 2 and 3, ECJ and the Raiders.

But to clear up any confusion, DIV 2/3 should just go back to a quarters/semis/finals thing, possibly even combine the two divisions so they are actually competing? There aren't any score handicaps between the two divisions, I don't think.

Everyone should have known what was at stake on what days...

Tuesday - Order for Finals

Thursday - Caption awards, medals, rings, DCI Division II Divisional Champion title, order for Grand Finals

Saturday - DCI Division II World Champion title, flag, revolving trophy, appearance at Div 1 Finals for Retreat

So long as everyones staff informed their corps of this, ie. saying more than "you better beat --you know who--", then there shouldn't be an issue.