Woodwinds & the Demise of Drum Corps

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personaly Im getting very board with the same old visual concepts that are out today.

I think It could open the flood gate for many possiblities if there where 180 out on the field.

The drill might not be as clean but I still would rather have more people marching than just the same 64-70 Brass players we are used to seeing.

If woodwind are the solution to get more players on the field then I support any woodwind rule that might to proposed.

Personaly Im getting very board with the same old visual concepts that are out today.

I think It could open the flood gate for many possiblities if there where 180 out on the field.

The drill might not be as clean but I still would rather have more people marching than just the same 64-70 Brass players we are used to seeing.

If woodwind are the solution to get more players on the field then I support any woodwind rule that might to proposed.

AAAAAAAAAA!!!! Burn the HEATHEN!!!

I need an old priest and a young priest!

So, just a thought...

Weren't the Blue Devils winning electronic ensemble I&E's the past 15+ years? If I recall, not many entered.

I still don't see any Korgs or Rolands on the field...

Another thing...

As this woodwind thing is getting taken mountain-sized, here's the molehill. If you recall, San Antonio was going to have an "Open" I&E for high school kids, etc. Band directors, bring your kids to DCI I&E; top winners get to be in the real I&E at finals.

In order to try that, they had to offer the full compliment of choices for band kids. This included woodwinds.

The San Antonio thing was cancelled, but are you going to tell the kids in the corps they can no longer do their thing?

Who knows if it will be kept around. Kudos to DCI for trying to get kids out of the band halls and into DCI events. That's CRUCIAL to the growth of the sport.

For people to poo-poo the event because they saw a Cavalier with a neckstrap, I believe their POV is possibly informed, but short-sighted. At least understand the rationale. Whether they try again next year... well, that's going to depend on how successful they are in getting HS kids to do it.

Frankly, if they had a Harmonica or Banjo division, it'd be freakin' entertaining!

The blurb was in response to the incendiary nature of the posters' baby picture which fits well with your present response.  And aren't you doing the same thing you're criticizing?  Kinda silly reasoning.  Oh well.

You have the gonads to call the content of someone else's sig incendiary after the posts you've littered DCP with? I've gotta hand it to you - you're a very brave guy from behind that keyboard!

Oh - silly me! :rolleyes:

I think most of you are overreacting at something that's never going to happen.

DCI is fine, nothing's wrong. I&E has nothing to do with DCI finals, it's just simply a competitive recital for an audience sponsored by DCI.

Oi vey.

Yeah you're right.

Just like amps were never going to happen either.

Maybe this is just me...

...but I think including WW in I&E was supposed to just allow those corps members who don't play brass as their prime instrument a chance to show off their stuff with an instrument they feel more comfortable with.

Once WWs invade on-field performances, then #####ing about it might be the better thing to do. But for I&E WW's seem okay...i guess...

Dude...did you even read my post? 

To sum it up:  People espousing either extreme are probably wrong.  The answer probably lies somewhere in between.  But implicitly calling people who feel that change in drum corps is bad "babies" just undermines what is probably a reasonable argument from you--that drum corps has to grow and change over time.

I think we've lost sight of what this debate is about. Am I correct in saying that it is about whether or not we should look at woodwinds on the Drum and BUGLE Corps field?

I think that Mr. Atkinson has some good points here. Change is not necessarily a bad thing. That both the traditionalists and the evolutionaries have good points to make - and that the answer probably does lie somewhere in the middle. The activity must evolve - it must grow in order to survive.

With that said, the truth of the matter is that we are moving further and further away from Drum and BUGLE Corps. (Even if it is only at I&E) I believe it is possible to be very creative within the confines and structure of the activity as it exists in its current state. I consider myself to be neither an eveolutionary nor a traditionalist, but as one who lies somewhere in the middle of those two extremes. I was not opposed to the Bb, nor was I opposed to the idea of amplification. (although I am rethinking that after, "Yowza, Yowza, Yowza") But woodwinds do not represent evolution! Woodwinds represent a wrong turn. (Much like the platypus - it just doesn't fit) And I'm sorry if I've offended any fans of the Platypus. But I'm not sorry if I've offended any woodwind players.

I love the sound of the sax. I love Coltrane, Adderly, Johnny Griffin, Ornette Coleman, Branford Marsalis, etc. But the sax just doesn't belong in the Drum and BUGLE Corps arena. If I want to see a screaming sax player, I'll go pay the cover at the blue note. I don't want to see it on the field at DCI finals.

Those are my $0.02.

I won't make a personal attack. I'll make one in general:

Woodwinds have NO place in the drum corps activity. PERIOD.

(well, guess it's more of an opinion than an attack, but....er, well.......I'm sure someone will interpret it as an attack [sigh])