Booing and not clapping

We bought 2 club level tickets for Saturday from a gentleman who had purchased 6 sets. We were next to him and his wife. They seemed like nice people, had been corps fans for many years, and said they were from the area.

I don't think this man clapped for one single corps. I wondered if he was really this underwhelmed and whether he would spend hundreds of dollars for tickets next year.

I agree that the crowd seemed a little down in Boston. Maybe Saturday night had more of the feel of a lot of people coming to a convention and hanging out in the club level, having a beer, and seeing some old friends. People seemed to be enjoying themselves, there just didn't seem to be as much enthusiasm for the performances. Personally, I think it was a combination of the shows not being quite as entertaining, there being a lack of a feeling of competition (who really thought the top 4 would change spots?), and too many other amenities (air-conditioned area with drinks, Red Sox game on TV, etc.) to keep people otherwise occupied on a muggy night.

Personally, when I spend that much money on tickets, I want to watch the performances. But, when you think about it, lots of people go to pro sports events, pay incredible prices, and spend half the time socializing and "hanging out."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the crowd electrified with Boston's performance in the Quarters, the Crossmen's in the Semi's, Phantom's in all 3 shows, Santa Clara's in the Finals, and there were others that the crowd responded well too as well. If Corps connected in a visceral or emotional or intellectual way with the audience, the audience responded well to that connection. If some Corps failed to connect with the audience, many of whom came from all sections of the Country, and from various backgrounds and experiences, that is not the paying audience's fault. It is the height of rudeness to blame the many fans in the audience when a performance leaves them flat. And again, this was not a college football crowd filled with booers in Foxboro, that's for sure. These posters who say this are simply rude to unneccessarily blame the audience for booing. Something that just did not occur from my vantage point in watching all the Corps for 3 days.

I agree. I didn't think the crowd was dead either, and in general, I think this was a down year for DCI from an entertainment perspective. But - when there was a highly entertaining corps on the field, the crowd was definitely engaged. I didn't hear booing, either, other than the consternation around the actual score Cadets won with.

One other factor, it was pretty oppressively hot & humid at Foxboro on Saturday in particular. Cooler weather (Denver, Madison, Buffalo, etc) typically energizes a crowd more... Jackson, MS was a perfect example. HOT & miserable until the rain came during finals & things cooled off after -- then the crowd energy shot through the roof.

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan

Ain't that the truth. I recall that so clearly from the telecast. If I hadn't had the Two-Seven performance to compare it to, I might not have noticed. But as I was watching Two-Seven in exhibition, it struck me how much more enthusiastic and sustained the applause was for them, compared to the more polite, muted response I heard for the competing corps.

The applause for the competeing corps was far from polite, and muted...they were over enthusiastic especially for Cadets, Blue Devils,and Madison Scouts.....

mutiple ovations, loud roars of approval, lots of clapping both after AND during the performances......the last two received a frenzy of applause, though true, nothing matched what two-seven received.......

~G~

I agree.  I didn't think the crowd was dead either, and in general, I think this was a down year for DCI from an entertainment perspective.  But - when there was a highly entertaining corps on the field, the crowd was definitely engaged.  I didn't hear booing, either, other than the consternation around the actual score Cadets won with.

One other factor, it was pretty oppressively hot & humid at Foxboro on Saturday in particular.  Cooler weather (Denver, Madison, Buffalo, etc) typically energizes a crowd more...  Jackson, MS was a perfect example.  HOT & miserable until the rain came during finals & things cooled off after -- then the crowd energy shot through the roof.

Harvey

I agree on every point, I also didnt hear any booing, the winner was pretty much decided and accepted , I heard some disdain for the score, but not much booing. and it was quite hot Sat. night.

Humidity to the max

~G~

One other thing that I think may have contributed to this feeling of the crowd being down (in addition to those mentioned):

I think that the Club Level seating breaks up the crowd to the point that you feel kinda isolated from the rest of the crowd. Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE the amenities of the Club Level. It's just that I didn't feel the energy of being surrounded by a large crowd. Couldn't see any above me and could only see the bottom few rows of the lower deck. I couldn't "Feel" the majority of the crowd, if you get my meaning. Felt this in Denver, too. I was on the Club Level on Thurs in Denver and didn't like this isolated feeling, so I traded down to the lower level on Fri and Sat. Still I felt disconnected to the upper deck folks because the Club Level broke up the continuity of crowd noise. Orlando and Madison and some of the other older stadiums have a more continuous crowd that I think allows us to feed off each other.

Looking forward to the Rose Bowl for this very reason. There isn't even an upper deck there -- just one deep bowl!!

Anyway, not diminishing any of the other reasons listed on this thread -- just thought this may have been a contributing factor.

The applause for the competeing corps was far from polite, and muted...they were over enthusiastic especially for Cadets, Blue Devils,and Madison Scouts.....

mutiple ovations, loud roars of approval, lots of clapping both after AND during the performances......the last two received a frenzy of applause, though true, nothing matched what two-seven received.......

~G~

Yep. We shouldn't read too much into the one-time appearance of any corps. Had the 27 Alums performed in dozens of shows preceding the 94 finals, their reception that Saturday wouldn't have been the same.

Of course, they did play Crown Imperial!

HH

All this 1994 27th Lancer talk got me thinking?? Weren't the Bridgemen suppose to have an alumni corps this year??? Did that fall threw or something??? :blink:

There's another thread about people pretending to be former drum corps members. Many of the example cited involved people pretending to march Phantom.

I'm going to assume for my own sake the that "age-outs" you sat next to weren't FMMs, but rather posers. I like it better that way than to consider the possibility that someone went through a classy corps program and emerged without class.

HH

Nope- sorry- they were wearing jackets and they all aged out in 2003...

I think you talked about this in a different thread a few weeks ago, but Star WAS booed in 1993.  Not necessarily during their show or when they finished their show, but during retreat.  Fans booed once they found out they were to finish 1st.  They were booing the corps, the show, the score, and the placement all at once.  I don't think it has anything to do with what region of the country they were performing in. 

East coast fans know how to boo though.  In 1995 they booed the Cadets for winning the show when Madison finished 2nd.  And this was a year when Cadets were pretty good and had an entertaing show!  AND this particular event was at GIANTS STADIUM!!!  I couldn't believe it!

I think it would be helpful though to differentiate between booing a Corps performance, ie right after they finish, and the booing of the judges who may have put a Corps in a placement that some of the boobirds did not like. Booing the judges is as much a disappointment that another Corps did not finish higher for some reason, than being about the other Corps the judges placed higher. Booing is uncivil, and inappropriate. in my opinion. But it's a little more forgiving in my book, than booing a Corps after a performance. Booing a Corps after a performance is so rare, I'm no sure I recall hearing it before. As for not clapping for a Corps, I have only a slight concern with that. I'd hope those fans who were not entertained by a Corps would at least acknowledge the effort. But it's a personal choice. And with the price of admission goes that inherent right. I prefer to clap for all the Corps for the effort. But my most enthusiastic clapping is reserved for those Corps who connected with me in some way that was more unique than some of the others. And this was done at DCI this year. I think most DCI fans reserve their best hands for those Corps that they enjoyed the most, and this generally has little connection with a judges evaluation. It is only the very special Corps that come in first with the judges and win the entertainment award with the most fans that year. Those are the truly special years, where the judges and the fans are on the same page and the best executed show and the most pleasing show to the most people are one and the same Corps. But we have had those years in DCI. ( 75, 87, 89, 94, etc ) It has happened. But those years are more the exception, rather than the rule. Some things never change. And this is one of them.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

I don't usually say this, but David should be an example for all the skeptics to follow. Didn't like what you saw? Just stand and stretch your legs. Give it a golf clap and at least give the members the illusion of appreciation. This activity doesn't exist solely for your entertainment even though you pay for your tickets. It exists also to teach the members about teamwork, diligence and performing, things the true fan surely must feel compelled to acknowledge even if the show itself wasn't compelling.

Let me ask y'all this. When an underfunded, under-manned D3 corps struggles through a performance that was so mediocre you don't know what they were trying to do, do you sit on your hands because you weren't entertained? No. You don't because you know the kids tried. You applaud the effort. What then is the difference in D1?

Stretch your legs if you have to. Give a gold clap or two. Make your point when and where it might make a difference because neither your silence nor your boos express your thoughts well enough. David writes the directors of the corps he doesn't appreciate and tells them why. Isn't that the way to make a difference? Leave the members out of it.

HH

The difference is that most corps in D1 rarely "struggle" through their performances. I have heard many say that this was the best year for D1 all the way through 11th place....while I honestly do not like what I hear in drum corps today,...those who do appreciate this brand of drum corps are probably right.....as far as making a difference with a letter writing campaign....hasn't worked so far!....What I am failing to understand here is why is this a problem in drum corps today....IMHO when you start to blame fans or even try to instruct them on how to react to a corps performance it is almost hilarious b**bs.......I must admit, I know how many of you may feel about lack of crowd response and understandably so....IMHO,...and not to offend anyone,...it is just plain absurd...but no boooing....unless BLOOOOOOing! B)