Champion + Crowd Favorite

OK, I was actively involved in Drum corps from 86-96. A member of PR from 86-90, and on staff with various corps 91-96, so here is my opinion (and let's all keep in mind it's just an opinion)

86 - BD won and was in my opinion the most popular

87 - Cadets won, but SCV was more popular. (87 cadets is my fav. of all time by the way, not counting the shows I was in)

88 - Madison won, and was very exciting, but I think SCV had a better show (WAY better than 89)

89 - SCV won, and regardless of how the poll came out PR got much better crowd response (having been a member of PR and seeing SCV that year). I will also throw out that Cadets, while finishing 5th were alot of peoples favorites with Les Mis. 89 was an awesome year all around.

90 - Cadets won, and I will be honest and say I didn't think anyone had a really great show that year.

91 - Star won, but most people liked Cavies and PR

92 - Cavies won, and were very popular, I prefered cadets

93 - Cadets won, I again prefered PR

94 - BD won and was, if I remember, almost everyones favorite, what an awesome show.

95 - Cavies won in a bit of a surprise ending to the season, BD was undefeated going into finals week. Lots of great shows that year.

96 - PR and BD tie. PR was a HUGE crowd favorite, and coming from behind (4th in qrtrs, 3rd in semis, tie for 1st in finals) made it a great story.

Well there ya go, feel free to flame me if you like, just one man's opinion

In regards to this year, I attended a cinecast of qrtrs and PR got the best crowd response by a long shot.

Cheers,

-Mark "Ducky" Bertram

PR baritone 86-90

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can't believe nobody's mentioned Cadets 2000

I think Cadets were the crowd favorite that year up until finals night, but when the scores were announced I think Cavaliers got a much bigger crowd reaction. I remember being on the field when Brandt Crocker said "receiving the bronze medal, the blue devils... (fellow marching member, Chewy, muttered 'well we could have another tie') and receiving the gold medals... (crowd moaned and groaned about the tie), the cadets (crowd was almost silent), and the cavaliers (crowd went nuts)"

Could've been partially that when cadets were announced people were still reacting to the tie... but cavies got a huge response. You can tell on the video too. As fan-friendly as Cadets were in 2000, I think people really were digging Cavies on finals night. Just MHO.

Guest DrumCorpFan
I was in Foxboro in 94. Blue Devils were the crowd favorite. Madison a close second. Madison 95 though was the crowd favorite. 89 Santa Clara's Phantom of the Opera was a classic.  Hands down the best in 89.That's why it was voted best show ever by DCI fans last winter. ( I actually thought SCV 88 version was better ) Although 89 Phantom was also a heck of a show, and one of my favorites. I'll also put in a plug for Blue Devils 86. They won that year, and If there was a better crowd favorite than them that year, I forget who that was.

I liked the '88 version better as well, which reminds me, would the '88 Scouts qualify as champ/favorite?

Isn't it great to look back at these years and see that so many corps where so exciting that we argue who was the crowd favorite?

Guest DrumCorpFan
How about 1996.

I think BD and Phantom were the top two crowd favorites that year.

Ah yes, Phantom '96. I would call them the crowd favorite as an underdog and the best corps never to win...to that point.

Don't read too much into the second-place corps (or the first of two tied corps) getting a louder ovation. It happens many years because the announcement of the second-to-last corps reveals the winner too. While some are applauding the second-to-last corps directly, others are actually cheering for the last corps to be named. Direct comparison often aren't accurate.

HH

Edited by glory

Guest DrumCorpFan
Don't read too much into the second-place corps (or the first of two tied corps) getting a louder ovation. It happens many years because the announcement of the second-to-last corps reveals the winner too. While some are applauding the second-to-last corps directly, others are actually cheering for the last corps to be named. Direct comparison often aren't accurate.

HH

Very true. I go by the reception of their shows, not their score announcements.

A lot of 27th lancer shows rite?

Well 1996, crowd went crazy for phantom but it was also another stand o for blue devils but that sounded like a golf clap compared to phantoms show.

1997 maybe with the cadets show and the blue devils show.

I guess you saying that by way of Recording or DVD's Right. since you were what 5. :P :)

96 the crowd went wild for both. Yes Phantom was probably more of a favorite just because they were sooo Darn close again and we wanted to see them win.. Even me a huge BD fan.. SO Some fans like me lucked out. Both corps were on that night.

Crowd favorite is very subjective. Witness the exchange in the thread on 94 on BD vs Madison.

To my memory, here are some of the years since 88 (when I started going to Finals) that a highly popular show (top 2 or 3 based on crowd response) also won the title:

1988 Madison (you could debate forever if Madison or SCV were more popular)

1989 SCV (you could debate forever if PR or SCV were more popular)

1992 Cavies

1994 BD (94 was one of the most lackluster years for DCI, in my opinion)

1996 PR (ties count)

1999 BD & SCV

2000 Cavies & Cadets (only Boston was at least as popular as these 2, with SCV also way up the crowd meter that year, too)

***2001 Cavies (I actually don't remember an overwhelming crowd favorite that year)

***2002 Cavies (Again, another year I don't remember an overwhelming crowd favorite)

Harvey

I don't know about 96 & 99, I'd say Scouts were the crowd favourite for both years...Phantom was close in 96, but in 99 Madison was hands down the crowd favourite with Santa Clara being second.

89 Santa Clara , 94 Blue Devils, are a few that immediately come to mind.

I thought PR was the favorite in 89 AND 94.