What would you change about Drum Corps?

I never played the G horns (or 3 valves for that matter) but its my understanding that the bore on the G bugles was larger. This allowed for more air to be moved thru the horn and a more powerful (ie. louder AND balanced) sound.

Its true that 99% of the shows in the days of G horns were either in the keys of G or F, but that didn't seem to be a problem then.

meant to say never played the Bflat horns

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would make it so that corps have to clear their repertoire selections with a council of my choosing...several of whom frequent this board.  Majority rules. 

Heh, could I be on that council, please?

Actually, I'd only use that power to push creativity. Tunes like Russian Christmas Music and Malaga would have a tough time getting approved, while I would instantly sign off on music that had never been used by a corps before, and especially on music that I'd never heard before. Out with the old, now let's hear some new.

I'd bring back retreats and caption awards, for sure. That's one of the few rule changes by DCI that I've really disagreed with. I loved retreat as a performer, and I hated not having it there at Indy. Especially since Phantom moved into third at that show, the kids should have been on the field to hear the ovation.

Caption awards are another way for the kids to take pride in their accomplishments, which is exactly why they should stay. DCI tried to say that they took these awards away to encourage a team-first attitude, but a section works together as a team just as much as a corps does. And when that section performs at a championship level, they need to be rewarded for it, even when the corps doesn't finish in first.

Hopefully a consequence of that change would be a greater emphasis on captions, so that maybe scores won't bleed so much. Hopefully we can get judging to the point where we don't see the fifth place corps always placed fifth place in every caption. If, say, Carolina or the Bluecoats have the best hornline at the competition, I wish the judges would start placing them there, no matter where the corps places overall.

And finally, I would allow electronics and woodwinds. B)

I would allow synths in the pit on two conditions: I would implement one beat per one stroke rule so that prerecorded material would not be possible. That way, all sound would still be created by the members that night on the field. As for woodwinds, I would allow them but not increase the membership in the hopes that woodwinds would be used sparingly, primarily in solo or soli passages, and the emphasis would remain on the hornline. Restricting woodwinds to the pit might be a good way to accomplish that as well, especially since woodwinds look pretty goofy marching around the field.

woodwinds look pretty goofy marching around the field.

Indeed! It would be nice if corps could use those kinds of colors without looking geeky, but it's impossible. A ripping sax solo might be cool in a jazz show, but even then it's pretty iffy how that plays over a mic in a stadium. Yes, I know it can be done and I've seen and heard it many times before. I just think sax sounds like poop outdoors, amplified or not. Some instruments need a room to sound good.

If I could only change one thing it would be a no parking rule in the pit. I'd like to see every member required to participate on the field as part of the visual package for at least a few minutes at some point in the show. It's one thing to park instruments, but it's another thing to park people for the whole show.