Best Late Season Surge

To me one that really sticks out is 2003 Spirit(mainly because I marched this year and it seemed as tho they were outta the finals picture all season, missing the evening shows at both San Antonio and Indianapolis)! They REALLY surged and at the right moment. 14th in quarters and 12th in semis. Spirit was the only corps outside the top eight whose score rose from quarters to semis. Everyone else 9th-17th dropped, thus giving them the nod for finals that year...

also another noteable in 2003 was the cadets, tho not changing in placement they gave cavies a run for their money for 2nd place, nearly knocking them outta second place on finals night.

Cadets quarters score - 95.45

Cavies quarters score - 96.95

Cadets semis score - 96.55

Cavies semis score - 97.25

Cadets Finals score - 97.1

Cavies Finals score - 97.25(no change from semis)

what it all came down to was cavies having more effect in their show than Cadets. The Cadets performed the heck outta their show on finals night and in my eyes shoulda beaten the Cavies, thus the closeness of the two corps on finals nights! :)

AMEN!!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more minro ones were cavies in 95 as BD was undefeated going in.

But 87 Cadets was one huge season long surge. As someone pointed out they were getting beat by Spirit early, the we(PR) tied them at DCI Canada just a few weeks before finals. They really got it together.

Love that show.

85 Garfield is not a bad choice, and SCV was the front runner most of the summer.  I am not sure they were undefeated. I think BD may have beaten them once or twice early.  The thing is Garfield was always in contention in 1985.  They started with such a difficult show and it took some time to master, but at Allentown they were 2nd place to SCV.  So it wasn't like they snuck up on SCV come finals.  In fact, at the US Open about a week after Allentown, Garfield beat SCV in prelims, and they both tied in finals.  When I saw them at the US Open I knew the hand writing was on the wall.  I actually thought it was odd that semifinals were so close in 1985.  I thought Garfield hands down clocked everyone.  Come finals, that is what happened.  1.7 between 1st and 2nd, and in my opinion it could have been 2.5 or more.  They were just that good that night.

Jonathan

Well, I would most certainly agree with you about Garfield's performance in Semi-Finals. Now Finals is another thing. There is no way they deserved to increase the spread (or win for that matter) with that Finals performance. It was not a good show. The massive front to back phasing at the beginning of Candide, soloist issues during Make My Garden Grow, and Soprano gacks in the opening impact of Jeremiah Symphony is enough to illustrate this. This was the second year in a row that Garfield was clearly the best drum corps on the field with the best overal show, and they managed to take home a title with a sub-par performance (both years they were smoked in Finals by the competiton).

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM

also another noteable in 2003 was the cadets, tho not changing in placement they gave cavies a run for their money for 2nd place, nearly knocking them outta second place on finals night.

Cadets quarters score - 95.45

Cavies quarters score - 96.95

Cadets semis score - 96.55

Cavies semis score - 97.25

Cadets Finals score - 97.1

Cavies Finals score - 97.25(no change from semis)

Compare this to 2000:

Cadets' quarters score - 96.70

Cavaliers' quarters score - 96.40

Cadets' semis score - 97.40

Cavaliers' semis score - 96.70

Cadets' finals score - 97.65

Cavaliers' finals score - 97.65

We all thought it was over after semis. The Cadets had never lost that season and they opened a 0.7 point spread. It was said they were winning going away. Not so. It was a shocker.

SCV 85, not undefeated going into nats

Sorry. Guess I have bad info. I just watched "Step in Time" the DCI documentary on 87 Championships and it said something like "Two years ago, Royer took an undefeated corps into finals and lost to Garfield".

Guess the narration was wrong. :rolleyes:

ADDED NOTE: I'm pretty sure it's Leeza Gibbons' (from Entertainment Tonight) voice doing the narration.

Edited by bradrick

Dude...you just joined 9 days ago and you already have that many posts???

Slow down kid...you'll wear yourself out.

post counts are over rated

:P

85 and 87 Cadets.

Both years at Allentown they were 2 full points behind SCV.

both years they won finals.

Madison 88 as well.

Cadets were making up ground big time in 92, 95, and 01 weren't they? A lot of times they seem like the clumsy kid in a boxcar race whose boxcar breaks right when the opening shot sounds, but put it back together somehow and come screaming from behind.