What about people who don't get ESPN2?

DCA needs to find somebody to record their finals that's worth a crap before they even think about mass broadcasting it. I bought a DCA "DVD" not long ago and it was no better than some crap I could burn off my computer. It won't even play on my DVD player. Just pathetic.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't DCI/DCA have tapes in Blockbusters for sale or rent?  Has the idea every come up?

Simple answer...it's all about the money...no BLockbuster or like store is going to spend shelf space on sucha niche activity....they'll make more profit with something else.

I DID find the 84 DCI top 12 in the Chula Vista public library...should'a tried to buy it from them...

That's a good point. They could go in the "Special Interest" section, that area always has a lot of good stuff.

Heh, so you enjoy looking in the section behind the curtain? :P

Why don't DCI/DCA have tapes in Blockbusters for sale or rent?  Has the idea every come up?

How many people near your Blockbuster, besides yourself, would rent drum corps videos? I doubt there's enough interest to even recoup the purchase price for the rental site.

Now, if DCI could make the Netflix model work...

Question for Mike Boo, while we're on this Canadian rant:

I emailed DCI earlier this year to ask if there was any chance, or if any attempt had been made, to get the quarterfinals shown in Canadian theatres. (I guarantee if a theatre in Toronto hosted it, they would sell out. I don't even think DCI realizes the following drum corps has up here.)

No reply. Why could they not give me the courtesy of a return email with at least an answer of "no", or "no, thanks for being a fan, sorry about the amps"?

I stand corrected then. A Canadian friend had told me the only way to get PBS shows in Canada was to live close enough to a US transmission antenna for a US city.

My original statement, though, was in reference to getting it off the rooftop antenna from its original source of transmission.

For enlightenment, is this something the entire country can now enjoy? How long has it been this way? Thanks for the info.

Mike

Mike, I live near Toronto. We get more US stations than Canadian Stations. I get PBS & stations in Altanta, Chicago, Boston, and of course Buffalo & Rochester. I also have a satellite dish in my Northern house. I called both the cable company & the satellite company and neither broadcast ESPN2 in Canada. We used to always get the PBS DCI show - albeit at a time when I was at work- since it was shown on the US Thanksgiving, which is a normal working day for us Canadian stiffs.

Disappointing for sure.

:(

Question for Mike Boo, while we're on this Canadian rant:

I emailed DCI earlier this year to ask if there was any chance, or if any attempt had been made, to get the quarterfinals shown in Canadian theatres. (I guarantee if a theatre in Toronto hosted it, they would sell out. I don't even think DCI realizes the following drum corps has up here.)

No reply.  Why could they not give me the courtesy of a return email with at least an answer of "no", or "no, thanks for being a fan, sorry about the amps"?

It's not that DCI doesn't care about Canada. It's all about where the theaters are that are part of the chain that carries the broadcast. Currently, there are none of the chain in Canada, as there are none in MAJOR chunks of the country (yet). The chain we are so blessed to be tied in with (Edwards Theatres, Regal Cinemas and United Artist Theatres) is expanding every month, building new theaters and buying other chains. All the theaters that carry the broadcast are specially set up to receive satellite transmissions. This chain is leading the way in such developments. Hopefully some year they might lead the way into Canada. Keep the faith.

Mike

Mike, I live near Toronto.  We get more US stations than Canadian Stations.  I get PBS & stations in Altanta, Chicago, Boston, and of course Buffalo & Rochester.  I also have a satellite dish in my Northern house.  I called both the cable company & the satellite company and neither broadcast ESPN2 in Canada.  We used to always get the PBS DCI show - albeit at a time when I was at work- since it was shown on the US Thanksgiving, which is a normal working day for us Canadian stiffs.

Disappointing for sure.

:(

I'm another Canadian so disappointed about not being able to watch the broadcast this year.... I have watched the PBS broadcast for the last couple years.... no dci for me this year :(